Thread: Choke

Choke

Anybody else excited to see this movie?

I'm a huge Palahniuk fan and loved the book, but seeing the previews I'm not sure it will hold a candle to the movie version of Fight Club. I guess we'll wait and see.

Any opinions?

And as time moves on, any opinions of the movie?

+1

listened to clark gregg on O&A this am. Sounds like a great flick.
    Fight Club is one of my fav movies.
    http://www.listal.com/author/chuck-palahniuk

chuck's a twisted cat, he's great
    edit:
    kirby,
    I just watched your video, nice.
    I met Nick Oliveri last fall after the mondo genarator show, really chill friendly dude.We took some pics with him.I'll see if I can find a few.I was cranking Dead Planet just the other day.
    edit2:there ya go,the other one is with the Turbo Negro, they headlined.

Last edited by willywhit; 09-25-2008 at 08:40 AM.
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Movie eh? I would say don't even try, but fight club worked out pretty darn good. I think Choke is a little less suited to the silver screen but I'm an optimist

Thanks for the links Willy. I can't wait to see this film. Chuck is the man.

An as for Oliveri...dude fucking rocks. I saw QOTSA in the spring and although the show rocked, there is definitely something missing. Those pics with you and Nick are awesome.

Nevertheless...

the dude with the pbr shirt is Hank Von Helvete from turbo negro.
    TGR should put Turbo on the movie tour

Last edited by willywhit; 09-25-2008 at 05:36 PM.

With Chiz, I dug the book but not sure how it would translate to film. But I'll go see it anyways.
    Skiing, where my mind is even if my body isn't.

advres Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by willywhit View Post
    the dude with the pbr shirt is Hank Von Helvete from turbo negro.
    TGR should put Turbo on the movie tour
    When we were coming up with music ideas for Lost and Found I put two Turbo Negro picks on my list and they were shot down by everyone. I think Tate might have liked them, but he also could have been humoring me.

Saw this last weekend.

Good, not great. Pretty funny in spots.

I have never read the book though.

i thought it was very underwhelming

Quote Originally Posted by damn texan View Post
    i thought it was very underwhelming
    So is the book

RTR is offline Shumanitutonka Ob' Wachi
    I love Chuck, but I couldn't even finish Choke... I thought it was his worst work...
    Click here to increase your vocabulary.

Choke is not showing where I am right now...based on the previews, the movie looks like it will be more funny ha-ha than the dark comedy the book was. I'm really hoping that Survivor will be made into a movie soon. It was optioned just befre 9/11 and you just can't put out a movie where the main character hijacks a plane right after 9/11...are we ready yet?

Quote Originally Posted by TS Quint View Post
    Choke is not showing where I am right now...based on the previews, the movie looks like it will be more funny ha-ha than the dark comedy the book was. I'm really hoping that Survivor will be made into a movie soon. It was optioned just befre 9/11 and you just can't put out a movie where the main character hijacks a plane right after 9/11...are we ready yet?
    Ffs, yes.
    "Active management in bear markets tends to outperform. Unfortunately, investors are not as elated with relative returns when they are negative. But it does support the argument that active management adds value." -- independent fund analyst Peter Loach

Well...I finally got to see this movie this weekend.

It was good. Not great, but not bad either.

1. It seemed that they relied more on the absurdities in the book rather than the entire story itself. I suppose this is true of all novel adaptations, but the fact still remains that they unfortunately missed out on a lot of the intricacies in the book, which in retrospect made the novel so good. For example, Victor's relationship with his mom, the whole he is the spawn of Jesus thing, and Denny's whole 'rock' thing are just sort of past over. In retrospect, because it was such a complex plot in the novel, I don't think it is really movie material.

2. What I like so much bout Chuck's novels is the anarchistic and nihilistic social commentary that underlies all of his work. Unfortunately, I found that they sort of left this aspect of his novel out of the movie. I mean come on, I want to leave the theater feeling very hateful and cynical about society. I left feeling burnt out, and maybe a little queasy.

Nevertheless, if you can see it at an indie theatre for cheap, then I would say go. But, you're not really missing out on anything if you wait for it to be released to video stores.