Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Ouch, I totally have this I had this dude make custom orthotics. He customized my chucks and made a second pair that would fit into any of my shoes. I surf barefoot no problem because I take care of my feet on a daily basis. It took some rehab. The first time I tore my plantar I did the cortizone thing and stayed off them. A couple years later I got out of bed one morning and my right plantar was nearly detached for no good reason. So that's when I got the orthotics and started therapy. I slept with one of those boots at first, which totally sucked, but didn't need it for more than 2 months. Keep the inflammation down however you can. Stretch and strengthen from there. Be really careful in the morning because that's when your muscles are tight and can do the most damage.

My routine includes:
    Circles - legs straight, feet hanging off your bed, move your feet in circles 30x each way
    ABC's - same position, use your feet to write your ABC's in the air 2x each foot
    Legs - hands on the wall, do lunge stretches 30 secs 2x each leg
    Feet - same position, move your feet in closer, bend your knees, this should stretch your plantar, 30 secs 2x each foot
    Strength - On your tiptoes, move up and down your foot to build strength in the plantar, 30x each foot repeat 2x
    I also used the resistance bands to build strength. Wrap around your foot and do sets of 30 front to back and side to side.
    For circles and ABC's you can add ankle weights around your foot.

I also did the bike like one other mentioned. That was really helpful. Running is too much impact, stick with the bike.

I totally feel you on the depression. Every time I get injured the first 2 months are the worst and then I start to handle it better. But be encouraged on this injury. If you take care of your feet you shouldn't have any problems after a couple of months. It's been a little more than 3 years since I started this therapy and my feet aren't an issue at all now.

Note on orthotics - They are supposedly only good for 6 months. If you have insurance they should be covered.

Hope you get better soon!

After about 3 months of dealing with this I tore mine playing hoops Monday.
    If you think life sucks with Planter Fasciitis try a torn Planter Fascia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

mhardy11 Guest

PF

I had PF for a few years and what got rid of it for me was to do the John Muir Trail. A 400 mile backpacking trip with over 100,000 vertical feet.
    Try that.. worked for me!!!!

I would try to stay of the skateboard. I had it from hoops & kept taking 2-4 weeks off and thought I was good then an hour after playing back to square one. It finely subsided after I took 4 months off of hoops (the cause). I know it sucks but it usually is the only way. I still have a tinge of it from time to time but it is manageable. You are probably younger than I so it may heal more quickly for you. Skiing I would think would not bother it too much as it is supported in a ski boot. Mine never bothered me skiing. Good luck
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

just wanted to bump this for anyone who has similar issues. thanks a bunch guys! There's a lot of great information on here. so far my pf is improving. been riding the bike everywhere. hopefully come spring, it'll be history...
    "I reckon i'm one of the only people who could ski this line" says my drunk friend

All I gotta say is, "fuck plantar pasciitis". I got mine this summer/fall from a combination of trail running, and coaching/playing soccer. It came on slowly, then one day it just sucked. Oh well, it doesn't bother me when I snowboard, and I can still play indoor soccer on it about once a week, but if I start to push it, it flare's up. I maintain my position: "FUCK PLANTAR FASCIITIS".
    Quote Originally Posted by DoWork
    Well we really came up with jong because it was becoming work to call all the johnny-come-lately whiny twats like yourself ball-licking, dick-shitting, butthole-surfing, manyon-sniffing, fotch-fanagling, duck butter spreading, sheep fucking, whiny, pissant, entitled, PMSing, baby dicked, pizza-frenchfrying, desk jockeying flacid excuses for misguided missles of butthurt specifically. That and JONG is just fun to say.
    the-one-track-mind

Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th
    Quote Originally Posted by mrw View Post
    Find a practitioner of Active Release Technique. This will usually be but not exclusively a Chiropractor.
    Three or Four sessions= cure
    This isn't that far out there although how quick would depend largely on how severe a case you have. The theory of the ART links right in with the stretching I was talking about in the first place.

It's tendons that are inflammed, they are attached to muscles. The inflammation comes from overuse and/or too much tension. That's likely to either come from muscles that are too tight or foot dysfunction or a combo of the two.
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

Quote Originally Posted by L7 View Post
    This isn't that far out there although how quick would depend largely on how severe a case you have. The theory of the ART links right in with the stretching I was talking about in the first place.

It's tendons that are inflammed, they are attached to muscles. The inflammation comes from overuse and/or too much tension. That's likely to either come from muscles that are too tight or foot dysfunction or a combo of the two.
    I was being treated for a frozen shoulder with ART and mentioned that my sister was having problems with PF. "I can work with that" she said. My sister made an appointment and about 4 vists later, was almost pain free.

ART breaks up the adhesions that cause pain and limited motion. I was told a shoulder scoping was my only solution. Due to the amount of built up scar tissue, it took almost 4 months to resolve my issue but I am fully recovered.

Quote Originally Posted by durangotang View Post
    I've been icing my feet by filling up a bucket with ice water and soaking my whole foot in it. it feels like it does a better job of icing than rolling my foot over a frozen can or bottle. What do you guys think about that? is the bucket a better way than rolling your foot over a frozen bottle or can?
    Bumpin' it up because I've been dealing with for just over a year now. Last few days I've been rolling a frozen water bottle under my foot and it's helping a lot, probably have half the pain I did before the ice. Still feels like a thumbtack in the heel, though. First thing in the morning is bad, first 5 minutes of walking around like a gimp.
    It started in my right foot a year ago, wearing flat shoes with no support all day on my feet, boat shoes and vans. I'm a pretty big guy, which I'm sure doesn't help my 10.5 feet. I've gone through my calves cramping at night, feet swelling adema, whole bit. It goes away, eventually.
    I'm a righty and had a hip replacement 5 years ago on the left hip. Years of skiing, snowboarding, dirt biking, ran a moving company and like to wear flip flops or no shoes a lot when I was younger.
    I've got a buddy, retired podiatrist that still does custon orthotics part time for an old school shoe store. He taped me up and gave a brace to wear at night. that helped a bunch.
    Wearing supportive shoes instead of dock siders and vans has helped, too.
    Now, it's in my left foot, right is fine. Got so sick of hoping it would just go away, I started the ice bottle routine and should probably get a tennis ball.
    My ski boots have basic peterson orthotics, not custom, but I've dialed them in.
    Just wondering if other maggots are going through this, too. If you're over 50, like me, It seems common and friggin painful at times. Like the sciatica last summer, steady trips to the back dr and regular zapping and spine tweaking, back is great now.
    thanks for any additional insight
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

Ortho shoe inserts, wearing a brace at night, stretching in the morning and time..

Plantar Fasciitis

I used K-tape to great effect. Vids are online. Quashed it in 6 wks.
    (PF was new to me so maybe it was an easier fix/recovery)
    Good luck!

I had this for two years, nothing worked, tried everything.
    Then I had one prp injection, went away completely, pain free for three years!!!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

all great advice, thanks. I'm liking that injection idea. Sounds like it works. there's at least one other reference to it.

I had a bad case of PF a few years ago, had to stop running and taped daily just to get around.

Dr. Douglas Hale in Seattle gave me a dry needle treatment and cortisone shot. 100% successful. He also fitted me for orthotics.

PM OldLarry.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Cortisone weakens the tendons or ligaments.
    You're not supposed to have more than three shots during your lifetime in the same area.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using TGR Forums mobile app

Are you a heel striker do you land on your heels?

I had it from running I got orthotics but I think the big thing was motion control shoes which turned me into a forefoot striker and I've had no problems since
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Are you a heel striker do you land on your heels?

I had it from running I got orthotics but I think the big thing was motion control shoes which turned me into a forefoot striker and I've had no problems since
    I've never been a fan of running. soccer, football and life guarding forced me to, not fun for me.
    gonna look up OldLarry and get that shot.
    Thanks guys !!!!

I’ve had PF bad once. It got worse and worse over the course of a year or so, to the point that I was finding it tough to walk at all for the first hour or so each morning. Someone recommended this video to me:

http://youtu.be/hauyuX-uCq8

The techniques they show in the video hurt, but I followed it to the letter, and I was symptom free within a month.

I had one recurrence a couple of years later, and followed the same technique before it got too bad, and it cleared up within a week.

I’ve passed the video on to a few people who suffered pretty badly from PF, and the techniques in the video either completely healed them, or they saw enough improvement that they were in mild discomfort rather than significant pain.

It’s entirely possible that given the sample size I know this has worked for, it’s been a fluke that everyone saw an improvement. Maybe it won’t work for everyone, but I think it’s definitely worth a try if nothing else has worked out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mailman View Post
    I’ve had PF bad once. It got worse and worse over the course of a year or so, to the point that I was finding it tough to walk at all for the first hour or so each morning. Someone recommended this video to me:

http://youtu.be/hauyuX-uCq8

The techniques they show in the video hurt, but I followed it to the letter, and I was symptom free within a month.

I had one recurrence a couple of years later, and followed the same technique before it got too bad, and it cleared up within a week.

I’ve passed the video on to a few people who suffered pretty badly from PF, and the techniques in the video either completely healed them, or they saw enough improvement that they were in mild discomfort rather than significant pain.

It’s entirely possible that given the sample size I know this has worked for, it’s been a fluke that everyone saw an improvement. Maybe it won’t work for everyone, but I think it’s definitely worth a try if nothing else has worked out for you.
    just watched the video and gave it a trial run. good stuff .
    Thanks.
    Looks like you've been on TGR since 2010 and don't post much, so thanks for reaching out.

das boot

Found this pic from a year ago, the boot helped a lot.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Cortisone weakens the tendons or ligaments.
    You're not supposed to have more than three shots during your lifetime in the same area.
    My foot doc and my ortho say no more than 5 or 6 shots in a lifetime in the same area. I have zero regrets re dry needle treatment/cortisone shot from Dr. Hale, which 100% cured my PF after trying lots of other stuff (e.g., stretching, night splint, Strassburg sock, golf ball massage). It's been 4-1/2 years since Dr. Hale and not a hint of recurrence.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSteve View Post
    My foot doc and my ortho say no more than 5 or 6 shots in a lifetime in the same area. I have zero regrets re dry needle treatment/cortisone shot from Dr. Hale, which 100% cured my PF after trying lots of other stuff (e.g., stretching, night splint, Strassburg sock, golf ball massage). It's been 4-1/2 years since Dr. Hale and not a hint of recurrence.
    I remember my retired podiatrist buddy saying that nailing that shot was like being a marksman. evidently, he is or was good at it. I'm gonna try going down that path. rolling this frozen water bottle under my foot kinda works but doesn't fix the problem. thanks for the follow up, steve.

Quote Originally Posted by willywhit View Post
    I remember my retired podiatrist buddy saying that nailing that shot was like being a marksman. evidently, he is or was good at it.
    Oh yeah, he's good and has a good reputation among the running community. Doc says dry needling before the shot greatly enhances the success rate of the steroid injection.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSteve View Post
    Oh yeah, he's good and has a good reputation among the running community. Doc says dry needling before the shot greatly enhances the success rate of the steroid injection.
    made the call, wheels in motion, calling my primary in the morning for a referral. Fuck this, take the thumb tack outta my heel.