Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Texas

Texas

Out of curiosity, I'd like to know what mags have lived in Texas. I don't really care if you like it, hate it, whatever. Just want to know if you've lived here. I know some long time posters did a stint, and wondered who else has.

Grew up in Tyler (Near dallas) and going to school in Lubbock (Texas Tech). I'll be leaving soon, another transplant in the making

I drove across east Texas a few times this year. Not as bad as I thought it would be especially compared to kansas. And there were a lot of hot chicks.

People in texas can't drive worth a shit and their highway system is kinda fucked. And WTF is up with all the "Dry" counties? Where is a guy supposed to get a beer for the road?!

Texas sucks but it could be worse I guess, you could be going to Iraq or something.......

sugar land for 6 years

born in Houston, lived in sugarland until I was 3, back for grad school at A&M, then worked in Houston for a year and a half until I found a way to get transferred to Denver. I like a lot of things about Texas and it will always have a spot in my heart, but I'm much happier here
    The killer awoke before dawn.
    He put his boots on.

I've done a couple stints of contract work in Houston. that whole city's like a concrete maze to me.

Did 18 months in Austin, albeit only during the week (in CO Friday night-Sunday afternoon). Pretty sweet city for Texas.

Guess it could be worse, you could be living down the way in Amarillo.

I grew up in Missouri City, very near Sugarland. I spent the first 18 years of my life there, left for college and really missed it at first. However, after having been away for 12 years now, when I go back to visit, I cant comprehend what it was I missed about that place. I feel for the hurricane victims though.

10ish years in Houston, inside 610. Miss the food.
    Congrats, mags! We collected 1030.68! for birdman!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
    No is that like whne I come on your mosms face whle you lick my ballsss???

4 years, Texas A&M. Wife is from Ft. Worth so we go back a couple times a year.

Possibly/very likely going down for 3-6 months of Ike recovery work

I've lived in Texas.

Dallas.

D-FW has GREAT museums. And malls, if you're into that. And a LOT of violent crime. And pollution. And an incredible homogeneity.

It's a great place to live, if you can't live anywhere else.
    "Active management in bear markets tends to outperform. Unfortunately, investors are not as elated with relative returns when they are negative. But it does support the argument that active management adds value." -- independent fund analyst Peter Loach

5 months after college in Southlake (Dallas/FT W.).

Stop over to get married on the parents if it was down there, had ankle recon till we headed to USU for the wife's PHD.

Parents now 6 miles from Texas Motor Speedway on a golf course with zero scape pool. Love to visit now.

2 1/2 years in Aggieland. It was a nice departure from upstate NY for a bit. My main ski buddies were Texans for quite a while.
    Red-i-XS

I lived in Texas for two years. After finishing grad school in Seattle I got a job at A&M in College Station. Not too long after I arrived (august) I was driving past campus to work, and saw a ski lesson occuring! It was the usual 100deg 100% humidity with impending thunderstorm and the kids were side stepping up a 25ft high carpet covered hill. Fuck me I thought.
    I was attached to the econ dept, part of the GHW Bush school of Public Service and Govt or whatever. Saw GHWB himself skydive and land just outside, stood behind him in line for a sandwich one day. Phil Gramm used to teach there and my boss was one of his buddies, and Gramm's son was in grad school there, funny dude too.
    When my time there ended my friends were suggesting I stick around for the weekend and drink more beer, but I left work at 4pm on a friday and was on the highway north at 5
    West Texas was pretty interesting though, Big Bend and the border towns west of Del Rio. Austin was nice. Did a bus trip to Mexico to climb volcanos as well, so it wasn't a total loss.
    Last edited by corn dog; 09-19-2008 at 02:48 PM.
    "Unfortunately, Meadows mgmt/marketing found out about the PR stash and published it on their trail map."

I'm a Native Texan.

I was born in San Antonio. I lived in and near SA a few times and in Houston too.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

lufkin texas for the first 7 years of my life
    whatever I feel like i what to do!

born in beoumont lived in silsbee till i was 6. i used to hang out with charlie wilson (seriously he'd come over to my grandparents, grandpa was head of the apa a timber lobby group).

Central CO. That's gotta at least count as a suburb of TX.

Born and raised in San Antonio. All of my family and my wife's live here too. Its nice here the hard part is the 13hr drive to go skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankZappa View Post
    Central CO. That's gotta at least count as a suburb of TX.
    I can drive less time and get to kayak in salida than it takes to get to san marcos play park (near austin). Texas is f'in huge.

I am originally from Wyoming, and I am back here to stay, but I lived in Midland and Houston for a spell when I was in high school (my dad is in the oil business).

Quote Originally Posted by brice618 View Post
    I can drive less time and get to kayak in salida than it takes to get to san marcos play park (near austin). Texas is f'in huge.
    Yeah, I head somewhere that it is a shorter distance from Los Angeles to El Paso, Tx than it is from El Paso, Tx to Texarkana, Tx.

I've done a couple stints of contract work in Houston. that whole city's like a concrete maze to me.
    ya, the loops are kinda of a trip. I guess if you get lost, just get on the loop and keep driving.

I stayed in houston 3 months for work. Loved the women. Loved the food. Hated the weather. (i was there like july-sept) so it was like 95 degrees and 70% humidity. I hear its great there in the winter. But either way, the summers were way too sticky. it was cheap to buy house / rent there too. This was back in 2000 though. Probably that way again with the realestate meltdown. All in all i had a great time there. But when offered a job and move there, i turned it down and went back to SF bay area. That was kind of a no-brainer though. IT jobs were still very hot in the bay area and well, I like california alot better than texas.

I really enjoyed the Gulf Coast. Great fly fishing, great food.

It was heartbreaking to watch Galveston go down. I've spent alotta time there. In fact, that is the only place I have ever salt water fly fished.

Brownwood as a very little kid.
    DFW for jr. high & highschool
    Austin for college.

Stuck in the Live Music Capital of the World
    Austin resident here