Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Gawd bless the National Health Service!!!

It saved my mum's bacon this week.
    Monty Python's version of the cougar phenomenon:
    "This is a frightened city. Over these houses, over these streets hangs a pall of fear. Fear of a new kind of violence which is terrorizing the city. Yes, gangs of old ladies attacking defenseless, fit young men".

I'm geussing this is more than just a bacon joke. Glad your old girl pulled through what ever it was.
    Life is not lift served.

"National Health Service"

Strange words ....brain not understanding...government provides health care?....can't compute.

You keep your silly health service. MY country owns a really big INSURANCE company. So I'm cool.

Quote Originally Posted by alias View Post
    You keep your silly health service. MY country owns a really big INSURANCE company. So I'm cool.
    I'm just looking forward to when they reprint the Man U shirts to have 'The Federal Reserve' as sponsors.

Top news about your mum, Gita!

edg
    Do you realize that you've just posted an admission of ignorance so breathtaking that it disqualifies you from commenting on any political or economic threads from here on out?

glad yer mum's ok! score +1 for NHS.

now what about roo's teeth?

Quote Originally Posted by edg View Post
    I'm just looking forward to when they reprint the Man U shirts to have 'The Federal Reserve' as sponsors.

edg
    "American Taxpayer" would be more accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by alias View Post
    What would a 3 week inpatient stay and a 5 day ICU admission cost in your neck of the woods?

Would that then up your payments? (I'm genuinely interested)
    "This is a frightened city. Over these houses, over these streets hangs a pall of fear. Fear of a new kind of violence which is terrorizing the city. Yes, gangs of old ladies attacking defenseless, fit young men".

Quote Originally Posted by Ripzalot View Post
    glad yer mum's ok! score +1 for NHS.
    You don't rid the world of mama Roo that easily!!

As for teeth, I think a full capri extraction is more of a priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Roo View Post
    What would a 3 week inpatient stay and a 5 day ICU admission cost in your neck of the woods?

ICU...depending on level of service, hospital etc. anywhere from 10 to 50k per day.

Inpatient stay, w/o extraordinary procedures, probably 5-10k per day.

Now, what is charged by the provider and what is actually paid if there is insurance, are two very different things.

Glad to hear that mama Roo still has some kick left for this world.

As for the proposed capri extraction, I shudder to think what we will be revealed underneath...
    "Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward."
    - Kurt Vonnegut

glad to know your mum is ok.

I am just a bit curious where you Brits find all that money to fund your NHS?
    Last edited by powder11; 09-19-2008 at 11:10 AM.

Three cheers for Mama Roo! I have been following the situation from afar and am glad that things are looking up.

Out of pocket? Even with average insurance, probably enough to put Joe/Jane Blow in debt for the rest their lives.

Depends: if you have no insurance, then it would up my payments because I'm paying for it.

If we have universal health care in this country, would you need approval for admission to the ICU while filling out 72 pages of form 12Bi and repeatedly saying "English" into the phone while it tells you, for the fourth time, to "Press 1 for English or 2 for Spanish."

Last edited by Jim S; 09-19-2008 at 12:45 PM.
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

Quote Originally Posted by edg View Post

edg
    I had Panorama on the phone the other day (Wednesday) wanting me to go on TV for an interview about AIG. They clearly knew that I had no idea about investing in real estate assets during my time there and wanted the inside gossip.

ANYWAY...Mrs Roo...if it isn't your cat needing a poo, it's your mother running the gauntlet with the NHS. I hope all's well.
    Not around much these days.

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    Bwah ha ha!

Ask the Treasury ministers...they'd like to know too.

The honest answer is somewhere between taxation and government debt.
    Not around much these days.

Ring my friend I said you'd call Dr. Robert,
    Day or night he'll be there anytime at all Dr. Robert.

Dr. Robert, your a new and better man,
    He helps you to understand,
    He does everything he can, Dr. Robert.

If your down he'll pick you up, Dr. Robert,
    Take a drink from his special cup, Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert, he's a man you must believe,
    Helping everyone in need,
    No one can succeed like Dr. Robert

Well, well, well your feeling fine,
    Well, well, well, he'll make you, Dr. Robert

My friend works for the National Health, Dr. Robert,
    Don't take money to see yourself with Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert, your a new and better man,
    He helps you to understand,
    He does everything he can, Dr. Robert

Well, well, well, your feeling fine,
    Well, well, well, he'll make you, Dr. Robert

Ring my friend I said you'd call Dr. Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Shorey View Post
    ANYWAY...Mrs Roo...if it isn't your cat needing a poo....
    Actually is was a wee. Now vet bills are another matter. It cost is 450 quid to unblock Trevor's bladder. He's worth every penny.

Glad to hear about your Mum Gita. PM me your email address will you.

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    The taxes from all the rock and roll royalties the Brit bands ripped off from across the pond.

Glad to hear, G!
    Artist formerly known as yogachik.
    become a fan

Smile

good news!
    fur bearing, drunk, prancing eurosnob

Quote Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
    Depends: if you have no insurance, then it would up my payments because I'm paying for it.

If we have universal health care in this country, would you need approval for admission to the ICU while filling out 72 pages of form 12Bi and repeatedly saying "English" into the phone while it tells you, for the fourth time, to "Press 1 for English or 2 for Spanish."

Jim I love you man but sometimes you astonish me. Do your medicare patients have to go through that kind of red tape during a health crisis? Do all non-insured not pay? Do you send them to collections? Do you work with them to get their bill down to the level that their insurer would pay if they were insured? Resisitance is futile man so work with the system we're going to get and advocate the things you think are important within that system (like increasing medicare/medicaid reimbursement to docs and reducing red tape).

As far as the costs. Medicare probably pays low $2000s for an ICU day and probably $1600/day for a reg hospital bed. These are guesses though since medicare uses DRGs (case rates by diagnosis group) as a means to combat waste (keeping a person in the hospital to rack up per day charges).

Private Insurers with a good contract probably avg $2500 or so for an ICU day - probably 3,4,5 times that without a contract. Regular day costs maybe $2000. Most contracts with private insurers now have 'outlier provisions' for acute cases where if a person goes over a certain $$ amount of charges in a hospital stay it reverts to a higher reimbursement (which 5 days in the ICU would do) - 50% of charges is typical for one of these which would average ~$4-$6k a day. Add on another few grand in physician costs for each procedure that was done.

Mrs Roo, a stay like that would most certainly up the premiums for small to midsize companies - maybe not as much as you would think though since most states have guaranteed issue and medical underwriting caps on small groups and large claims like that are typically 'pooled' via large group underwriting. If your Mum's employer did not provide health insurance and she had individual insurance she would be cancelled & no longer be able to get individual insurance EVER!!

Glad your Mom's doing well, G. Your cat, however, needs to go on a diet. Trevor is obese.