Bishkek / Kyrgyzstan

I'm putting together a 3 week ski trip to Kyrgyzstan for next March / April. Anyone here been to Bishkek and have any lodging recommendations? I have some ideas of areas I want to ski but any tips on red tape / logisitcs would be useful, as well.
    "Buy the Fucking Plane Tickets!"
    -- Jack Tackle

I have been to Bishkek myself; however my lodging was provided by the US Gov't, and I was flying/operating out of the airport/airbase. Really cool countryside though, although the Kyrgyz/Russians are "interesting" in how they do things.

Hugh Conway Guest

Never been there, but I read the blurb about it in the most recent issue of Backcountry, and I'm very jealous. Please post a lengthy TR!

It's on my list of go-to places so I expect a very detailed TR!
    Ein Berg ohne Absturzgefahr ist nur noch Attrappe. (Reinhold Messner)

random bump of an old thread but wondering whether Joe ever made it on this trip (if so, where's the TR?? )

I'm looking at making a trip with these guys:

http://40tribesbackcountry.com/

Just wondering if anyone has any inside info on this operation or skiing Kyrgyzstan generally? There are a few old threads started by Schralptowner and it looks like 40 Tribes may have developed out of that:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ght=kyrgyzstan

doesn't seem to be any more recent beta than this so would be interested to hear if anyone has been or referred to threads that my shitty search skillz failed to uncover

full TR will be posed if I go!
    fur bearing, drunk, prancing eurosnob

Arno-
    I know Ryan (40 tribes), he is a super solid guy. I have spoken with him about his company and he definitely has it dialed in. Enjoy

I went there for 6 weeks a few years ago. We were on a kayaking mission, ran 7 first descents and only looked up at huge mountains the whole time. CHip in and get a 6 wheel soviet troop truck as that is the only thing that will get on many of th eback roads. There is some really easy access skiing in the national park on lake Issy-Kol that is also very close to Bishkek. This would be an easy bus ride and walk/hitch into the park and skin when you hit tree line. This would be quite highly recommended if you only have 2 weeks. If you have longer there are some epic peaks over the pass from Issy-Kol towards the Naryn RIver. This river has 17,000 foot peaks on one side and 11,000 foot peaks on the other. The highest mountain in Kyrgy is over 20,000 feet. So it's Himalayan style in the higher ranges. Around that Nat'l park on the lake though it is easy and chill - Looks like a lot like Swiss Alps style with glaciers and such, but not himalayan.

Have fun, it's an awesome place.

cheers guys. sounds encouraging...

Hugh Conway Guest
    I did a little later summer backpacking up one of the valleys south of Karakol, first picture in this TR is one of the valleys:
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...R-Harvest-Time
    Karakol ski area is lower down that valley. Nice place would love to go back in the winter - the yurt from 6 tribes is a couple valleys east it looks like.

Karakol is a few hours and maybe $30?ish by taxi from Bishkek - not hard to reach; a few places to stay. In bishkek Hotel Alpinist http://www.alpinisthotel.centralasia.kg/ was reasonably priced (rates seem a bit higher on the english language website now...) and would safely store gear, pick you up at the airport, and have staff who speak English and sounded like would be happy to arrange trips to the mountains skiing/climbing. There are a couple cheaper guesthouses with shared rooms as well as some shitty ex-Soviet hotels. Found it pretty easy to get around and refreshingly free of touts and tourist crap. Nice people.

Try Kumyz, shislack and whatever the little triangle meat pastries are. southwest-ish on the Issyk-Kul, can't remember the exact place, is a guy who trains golden eagles to hunt a la falconry. Impressive to watch.

Thanks, Hugh. Nice pics in that TR. Seems almost a shame to do it in a week/9 day trip, which is what I am thinking of. Such is the life of a wage slave

I don't know how often he is on here anymore but Figure11 did a trip there last spring to ski for a few weeks. You could try sending him a message.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."