Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

powder mag.... what the f*&k?

I just read in the October Powder the following in reference to Tanner Hall..."With cameras rolling, the best skier in the world takes off backwards and slowly spins a mute 900...."

Seth Morrison was there but I don't think he was doing switch 900's but I have to disagree that Tanner is the "best" skier in the world. Three articles later Henrik Windstedt is the Freeride world tour champion. I would consider the big mountain skier who can job a superior skier to the jibber that can ski big mountain. Were the editors asleep at the wheel on this one?
    Last edited by barney; 09-13-2008 at 08:34 PM. Reason: change to sfw title
    Twenty-Five Dollars and a six-pack to my name

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Yes Tanner is the best in the world, just like Nicholas Cage is the best actor, because he won an Oscar.

Tanner is also a Rastafarian, because he has dreadlocks and says "Jah Rastafari".
    Last edited by Rasputin; 09-13-2008 at 08:39 PM.

Shit I thought I was the best skier in the world(maybe my dream world)
    DP

advres Guest
    Here's a big shock - writers of articles are entitled to their opinions!

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by advres View Post
    And if they suck star/sponsor dick they have a better chance of getting published!

honestly, who gives a shit?

Quote Originally Posted by advres View Post

FUCK THAT SHIT!!!11

There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

TANNERS ALIVE?!?!?!?!?!?
    For sure, you have to be lost to find a place that can't be found, elseways everyone would know where it was

Quote Originally Posted by laseranimal View Post
    TANNERS ALIVE?!?!?!?!?!?
    I thought chad's gap finished him off for good, I heard he broke his ankle or something.

I hate tanner and think he sucks, but the author may not, and you have no control over that, people just think he's the best because he wins comps, they don't see that park skiers aren't the best and that other skiers are way better than tanner even if they don't "win" gold at the xgames. I think because he started off strong everyone favors him, I'm at a loss for how he has won so many golds in a row with clearly worse runs than the other skiers, IMHO....( whole point of the thread)
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

way to read way to far into that one sentence..

~+++++++++++VIBES+++++++++++~

Quote Originally Posted by patrickski View Post
    honestly, who gives a shit?
    You don't?

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    Yes Tanner is the best in the world, just like Nicholas Cage is the best actor, because he won an Oscar.

Tanner is also a Rastafarian, because he has dreadlocks and says "Jah Rastafari".
    Nicholas Cage is one of the best actors ever....that tragically takes for the most part really shitty roles.

NC as Sailor in Wild At Heart has got to be one of the best and most flawless male performances ever. And then there's Leaving Las Vegas.
    ROBOTS ARE EATING MY FACE.

Quote Originally Posted by bossass View Post
    Nicholas Cage is one of the best actors ever....that tragically takes for the most part really shitty roles.

NC as Sailor in Wild At Heart has got to be one of the best and most flawless male performances ever. And then there's Leaving Las Vegas.
    IDNG DING DING!

Best movie ever!

But Tanner is far from the best skier in the world. And, while I don't know him in person, I think he's a tool.

Why are you giving Tanner such a hard time? I think he´s a really great skier, not because of the stuff he pulls in the park but because of his Big mountain skiing. Haven´t any of you seen Believe? Look at the crazy shit he does in Alaska :O
    If you're being rad and nobody's around to see it, are you really being rad?

www.simonblide.blogspot.com

Thanks JONG!

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    I thought chad's gap finished him off for good, I heard he broke his ankle or something.

I hate tanner and think he sucks, but the author may not, and you have no control over that, people just think he's the best because he wins comps, they don't see that park skiers aren't the best and that other skiers are way better than tanner even if they don't "win" gold at the xgames. I think because he started off strong everyone favors him, I'm at a loss for how he has won so many golds in a row with clearly worse runs than the other skiers, IMHO....( whole point of the thread)
    have you seen believe? And his pipe run last year was way better than Simons so idk how you could say his runs are clearly worse.

You're still reading magazines???

I just found....the INTERNET!!!
    Teton AT
    Live to Ski!

WTF

WTF, I still haven't received an issue this year after re-upping in April. Either Powder's subscription department is completely inept, or my postman is a mistaken coke fiend.

Quote Originally Posted by randosteve View Post
    You're still reading magazines???

I just found....the INTERNET!!!
    I find the laptop overheats, and is still a little awkward to read while squatting a grumpy. This is the only reason I still subscribe to print magazines... Except for TSJ which is almost too nice to read on the can.

If you asked me a year ago what I thought of Tanner Hall, I'd probably agree with the majority of you. However, I had the pleasure of meeting him last year and 5 mins talking with the guy will totally change your perception of him. He is one of the chillest people I've met. He wasn't pretentious or arrogant at all. He's just a guy who gets stoked about anything relating to skiing, even at the weekend warrior-ish shit I probably brought up. In Calgary last year he seemed most proud of the steps forward that Sean Petite and Kye took last year in his film than anything he did and that is what I enjoyed the most. If I remember correctly he often got up standing and cheering during other skiers segments, even when it wasn't his movie.

I think people just need to enjoy his vibe rather than his image.

my 0.02 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by chadeau View Post
    If you asked me a year ago what I thought of Tanner Hall, I'd probably agree with the majority of you. However, I had the pleasure of meeting him last year and 5 mins talking with the guy will totally change your perception of him. He is one of the chillest people I've met. He wasn't pretentious or arrogant at all. He's just a guy who gets stoked about anything relating to skiing, even at the weekend warrior-ish shit I probably brought up.
    FWIW, I heard exactly the same from my friend who spent a night out in Boston with Tanner last fall. Very easy going guy who was fun to be around. Sounds like hes done some maturing since everyone last formed their opinions on his persona.

i wouldn't go as far as to call him the best skier in the world. i mean he's done really well for himself through the sport. he's really good, and he should be, skiing everyday and the places he does with the financial backing he has. but i think every aspect of his skiing, and every genre, whether it be pipe, slopestyle, backcountry, backcountry jibbing, heli-skiing, etc. i think there are people better than him in every specific category. and as much as i don't like the guy, he is one hell of a well-rounded skier.

edit: and tanner being the best skier in the world is something i'd expect from freeskier, not powder
    Last edited by njfreeskier; 09-14-2008 at 10:08 AM.
    Magic Mountain Freeride Team...bringing your grom's game to the next level.

The only ski you'll ever need...http://worthskis.com/skis/the-magic/

"Errare Humanum Est"

Who is Tanner Hall? Does he snowboard on Loveland Pass?

Writers have opinions, just like I do.
    I have hung out with Tanner on more than a few occasions. Tanner is not the smartest apple, but he is by far not the dumbest. Is he the best, no. I don't believe anyone is the best. It is an "any given day" type scenario where someone is the best. It is dynamic.

Like others have said, he is super mellow (we all know why) and he is super nice. I can walk into his favorite bar in PC and he knows my real name and buys me a drink or 6 about everytime I see him.

I have no doubt in my mind though I would never know all this if it weren't for "safety" in numbers. You "meet" someone and things morph themselves.

Do I tell him to pull his damn pants up though, yes, right to his face. He just laughs.

If you were 24, had the success he has, the talent he has and now the resort he has, wouldn't you be a little on the high horse too? I would.