Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Then I'd have to say that they're not "advanced" tele skiers, and that your observations are being done wrong.

And that's different from most alpine skiers and snowboarders...how?
    DELETED SARCASTIC REBUTTAL

Come on, don't be a knob. I think that I've established that it's subjective, "my" opinion and that there will always be exceptions. But since we're being asked to make broad statements, I'm sticking to my original answer.

I'll define what I consider to be aesthetic and you define yours.

That is all I have to say regarding this very important subject.

And that's different from most alpine skiers and snowboarders...how?
    I try to ski almost everything with as few turns as possible. I've noticed what heyyou was saying too, some tele skiers just seem to do the most bizarre and odd things, like excessive turning, drop knee traversing, drop knee switch teleing on flat groomed runs etc. I'm not hating on all tele skiers, but you have to admit, there seems to be an inordinate percentage of tele skiers that just seem a bit OFF, right? I ski to have fun and burn some energy, not to seek enlightenment through dropping a knee and freeing my heel/mind/soul/jah love aura spirit.

I heart them though, they make me laugh.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    he hearts me. yay.

i don't think one is better than the other. i just have more fun doing the tele thing. and that is the point, right?

anyone who's really good, whether it be on alpine, tele, or snowboard, looks good.

I try to ski almost everything with as few turns as possible.
    By dragging your ass to slow down, right?

Quote Originally Posted by corn dog View Post
    To help tow snowboarding buddies across flat sections?
    I do this all the time.

Also, dropping a knee while traversing is stupid, as LJ mentioned. It's also a great way to shatter your patella on a hidden rock. I would have been in the ER *without* dropping a knee if I hadn't been wearing kneepads at Sugarbowl in December.

I've been thinking about switching back to alpine, or at least Dynafits, part-time. Haven't done it yet and it's at least a season away due to the cost of well-fitting boots.

I think teleing is fun. That's about it.

I also have two snowboards at home that make an appearance from time to time. Snowboarding in powder is a unique feeling.

Edit: I don't think BCRider was trying to be "superior" or anything, just respectfully expressing an opinion--something which I thought we encouraged in this country. He's also posted more TRs and cool photos than most of the people on this forum. So I would humbly suggest for y'all to blow the sand out.
    Last edited by SCUTSKI; 09-16-2008 at 03:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I want scarpa TX boot for christmas so I can be aesthetic in all 3 disciplines on the same day, without changeing boots.
    Last edited by prince fahquawd; 09-16-2008 at 08:06 PM.
    prohibition is the opposite of liberty
    "...the ski patrol brought our poles down to us, & were buyin' us beers. If we did that in the states they'd take our gear & put us in jail.
    It's so much nicer to be in the real land of the free." Shane McConkey

may you bask in the cacophony of onehanded applause
    like the sound of crystal falling gently to the trees

...I've noticed what heyyou was saying too, some tele skiers just seem to do the most bizarre and odd things, like excessive turning, drop knee traversing, drop knee switch teleing on flat groomed runs etc.
    Yeah, boarders or fixed-heelers pretty much never do things like that. I never see fixed-heelers or boarders posing on traverses, riding switch on the flats or turning too much. You and heyyou pay too much attention to telemarkers, which is just what they want - "Look at me, I tele" is gonna be my next t-shirt slogan. Admittedly, it's easy to ignore fixed-heel skiers and their foibles - I do it all the time.

... you have to admit, there seems to be an inordinate percentage of tele skiers that just seem a bit OFF, right?
    I'll give you that one.

some tele skiers just seem to do the most bizarre and odd things, like excessive turning, drop knee traversing, drop knee switch teleing on flat groomed runs etc. I'm not hating on all tele skiers, but you have to admit, there seems to be an inordinate percentage of tele skiers that just seem a bit OFF, right? I ski to have fun and burn some energy, not to seek enlightenment through dropping a knee and freeing my heel/mind/soul/jah love aura spirit.

Best testimonial in support of tele ever!!!!

I've been tele only for 15 years. With all the cool shit out these days, I'm checking out AT this year. I ski >100 days/year and tele definitely keeps me from attaining that next level. Nobody cares when you're out alone in the BC anyway.

You all need wool pants and a high.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

. You and heyyou pay too much attention to telemarkers, which is just what they want - "Look at me, I tele" is gonna be my next t-shirt slogan.
    Haw, yeah you're probably right. They do tend to scream for attention. From now on I'll avoid eye contact and only look at them from the corner of my eye.

I think there is something to be said for the simplicity of tele skiing and how they work their way down the mountain actually using the fall line. They are hella ripped too!!

Some of my best friends are telemarkers.

(but I don't let my other best friends know about it)

I never meant to allude that skiers (Alpine and Tele) don't rip and do AMAZING shit on skis. I was just referring to the thread topic of aesthetics and in my opinion skiing (related to ice skating and rollerblading) doesn't LOOK (i.e. aesthetics) as good as snowboarding (related to surfing and skating). Doesn't mean I think I'm better than anyone because I snowboard, just means I think snowboarding looks better. Lighten up.
    I agree partially.

To me snowboarding looks better in static pictures.

But I love the aesthetics of live skiing and/or movie clips of skiers (tele or alpine) doing dynamic turns. With fat skis and current style of making as few turns as possible I guess skiing is becoming to look quite static too...and I think I am getting old cause I dig the old flicks/clips with guys like Coombs, Peterson, Jensen etc. skiing the old skinny skis. (The up and down, hopping/un-weighting style of the old days probably doesn't please anyone who wasn't there at the first place but somehow it has started to look really cool to me lately).
    "Average summit heights are around 1000m to 1200m but on the high glaciers of the main Lyngen Peninsula there are summits over 1400m with Jiehkkevarri being the highest at 1834m above sea level."

I dig where you are coming from man, but, the complete opposite happened for me.

I went back to skiing from snowboarding and don't think I will ever go back. True, I do think snowboarders look at the mountain in a different way and do tend to see the terrain differently, but, what use is that board if you can't access the other terrain the requires skins. True, you could split board it, but, then you might as well be on skis, because the splitboard I tried out (Voile) didn't ride the way I wanted it to. Now, newer technology might change that, but, until then, I will be on two planks.

Oh crap, this is a tele thread, almost forgot to post about that!

"To each their own".

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    I sort of think good snowboarders make riding look more fun than good skiers do. They seem to have a different take on the mountain and play with the terrain more. Every time my wife brings home a snowboard video it makes me want to try it. Its hard to go back to step 0 though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    By dragging your ass to slow down, right?

Use the biggest anchor you can find right?
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Tele skiers who rip look pretty awesome. I would argue it looks cooler than alpine...but the majority of tele skiers suck and look terrible so it kinda cancels out.

All I know is that when I link tele turns through the grass, the women swoon.

Swoon, I tell ya.
    "Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward."
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by powski3 View Post
    Tele skiers who rip look pretty awesome. I would argue it looks cooler than alpine...but the majority of tele skiers suck and look terrible so it kinda cancels out.
    Good point. When I go to a resort the majority of the alpine skiers, who are the majority of the lift riders, are super rippers. :roll:

Yeah, it's odd that a much higher level of skill is expected of tele skiers in general. Either you've been doing it since before it was fashionable, or you should never start. I suppose everyone will agree with that last statement anyway...

It's hard to say, I think it just looks different and suits some terrain/styles better than others. I have had the priveledge of taking some runs with Eben and the loveland crew and I can say that riding with someone who is that talented is pretty awesome to watch...
    Seems like no matter where I go it's already Turked out...

I have wool pants and a high

I tele cuz with the small allowance my wife gives me, I can't afford the other half of a binding

Something has to be said about the ability to enter the white room and get face shots with 1/2 the snow depth as alpine.

But then again I can't ski tele switch all the way to the road >>>>>>>
    "Not all who wander are lost"

"I try to ski almost everything with as few turns as possible."

Is that because your balls are so big it hurts when your legs try to turn your skis? I mean, your balls must be huge man.