Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DHogg View Post
    anyone on 89's mounted forward?
    Not sure what you mean by forward but i am 6'3 185 327 bsl and I mounted em at +6, haven't skied anything really deep, but they seem to ski great, on a flat run out that I am usually forced to lean back through on any other ski I was able to lean forward without any tip dive with about 12 inches of fresh, pretty cool. havent had any "wheelie" effect. But I think this exact conclusion was made on page 2 or so, this thread has broken record syndrome.

Have my 179's mounted with NTN (tele) at +4 and have played with +3 and +5 (NTN lets you move then binder back and forth 1cm). Had them at +3 today in the deep stuff and actually think I'm too far forward. I do get some tip dive and the tails keep washing out and spins me around. I'm thinking about moving them back to +1 so I can switch between 0 and +2.

Any thoughts?

I sure sound like the broken record on this, but DO NOT mount them too far forward. I ski 189's, and +5 is where I have them mounted. I would suggest this is as far forward as I would ever want. Not saying that everyone who is more far forward than that is a hack, BUT I would suggest that if you truly know how to make a turn, you will find yourself tip diving any further forward. It seems most people I have seen on these skis around Vail/B.C. anyway, are jibber types who don't really know how to ski powder. For these skiers +10 or whatever folks are recommending would make sense. So in other words, be honest about how you ski. If your the type that has to "sit back on the tails" skiing a traditional ski because that's "how your supposed to ski powder" mount as far forward as you wish.

I like my +5 mount, but would not go any further forward. That being said I think +4 would be a good mount too.

I think if you go back to far, as others have stated, you will washout too much because of the massive tail rocker.

right at the lights, straight on till night
    holeeee shitballs this thread is a brain boiler...
    when everything in the world is at its darkest, it takes a big man to kick back and party.

just acquired some 189 HBs to complement my Bluehouse Shoots which I love but just aren't versatile enough (their sole purpose is to ski downhill as fast as possible).

Me: 5'7 155 lbs
    I ski fast, make way less turns than I should and I really like to get flippy/spinny as well. However, my friends with similar rocker setups keep saying how much fun it is to ski switch in powder so I'm thinking about venturing into that with this ski. Additionally, I consider myself a pretty decent switch rider. I can ski pretty fast switch and can hit medium jumps (15-30 feet) switch as well. I have not however really tried to ski powder switch.

My thoughts: I'm leaning towards mounting them at +6.5 to +7.5. I guess I'm worried that this will limit my ability to ski fast on them (which is kinda silly as that's why I have the Shoots). This thread is funny as there's tons of opinions ranging from +4 to true center so I guess I'm not expecting much out of this post. However, it would be nice for someone to give me a pat on the back and tell me it will be alright and that I'll like the skis regardless..... (sigh) I suck at decisions. I'm the eternal fence-sitter
    "I reckon i'm one of the only people who could ski this line" says my drunk friend

gunit130 Guest
    I went +7 on the 189s. I'm 155lbs.

It's maybe a little too far forward for me, but I got used to it quick and it's really not a big deal. Switch landings are better with this.

Having less in front of me probably makes the crud and bumps more manageable. I've been skiing these boards nearly everyday.

I had one deeeep day on them and the tips dove in, but that was because it was fucking deep as shit and super light snow. They still did what they are supposed to do.

I've only hit max. 15 footers with them so far. The landings at +7 are perfect. Zero wheelie effect, and feels really stompable with so much tail to land on.

Bottom Line: Go +7 if you're going to use the Hellbents for powder skiing, hucking, and/or landing switch sometimes.

FYI, Seth Morrison mounted his Hellbents at +7.

Quote Originally Posted by durangotang View Post
    ..... so I guess I'm not expecting much out of this post. However, it would be nice for someone to give me a pat on the back and tell me it will be alright and that I'll like the skis regardless..... (sigh) I suck at decisions. I'm the eternal fence-sitter
    ...It will be alright, you will like the ski regardless.

After reading this, and the 12 other HB mounting threads 1,415 times I dropped mine off at the shop to mount at +6.... then drove off and only got about a mile away before I turned around to change it to +6.5. I like them there, but would probably like them as far back as +5 and wouldn't go any farther forward (179s).

PL
    I got 99 problems but this pitch aint one

gunit130 Guest
    ^^^ are you fucking serious?

.5cm probably makes no noticeable difference. that's just nuts.

^^^That's my point, thinking too much about this has made me nuts.
    I got 99 problems but this pitch aint one

True...

Quote Originally Posted by PuderLuder View Post
    ^^^That's my point, thinking too much about this has made me nuts.
    All true....

I read and re-read all of the HB mounting posted. I stood on the skis for 5mins at a time at different mount points from +3 to +6.

I ended up going with +5, but I think would've been just as happy with +3 or +4.

Realistically it is 1cm in a 194cm ski....and it RIPS. Regardless of where you put it.

Quote Originally Posted by gunit130 View Post
    I went +7 on the 189s. I'm 155lbs.

It's maybe a little too far forward for me, but I got used to it quick and it's really not a big deal. Switch landings are better with this.

Having less in front of me probably makes the crud and bumps more manageable. I've been skiing these boards nearly everyday.

I had one deeeep day on them and the tips dove in, but that was because it was fucking deep as shit and super light snow. They still did what they are supposed to do.

I've only hit max. 15 footers with them so far. The landings at +7 are perfect. Zero wheelie effect, and feels really stompable with so much tail to land on.

Bottom Line: Go +7 if you're going to use the Hellbents for powder skiing, hucking, and/or landing switch sometimes.

FYI, Seth Morrison mounted his Hellbents at +7.
    Thanks for the input. +7 is what I was thinking as well. Just as a sidenote, Seth has them at +6 according to his review on backcountry.com

http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorge.../K2S0392M.html

but whatever.

Anyways, STOKED!!!!!
    "I reckon i'm one of the only people who could ski this line" says my drunk friend

gunit130 Guest
    oops, I guess I did mount mine at +6cm.

Honestly, there is probably not much noticeable difference talking about 1cm.

Pretty much, Seth's advice was the seller for me.

Me 5' 10" 150 lbs with no pack etc. I have the 179 HB's and have them mounted at +3.

I find this mounting point to be good for all conditions. Were in the Backcountry allot and in deep snow there is no tip dive and have good stability skiing steeps and chutes at high speed. The groomers are a piece of cake and can even keep them under control in some shitty conditions however you do get bounced around a bit.

I don't do the park but switch is common place everywhere else and the mounting point gives me good control in both directions.

For me +4 would be okay but anymore would start to give me headaches in the deep stuff.

My 2 cents have been deposited in the jar.
    The only moment that matters
    ... Is the next one

I got the chance to try some Hellbents today. I tried both the 189 and the 179 and much preferred the 179. Actually the most fun ski I've ever been on. I enjoyed them on hardpack, in the park and got the chance to ski some powder too (about 1 foot deep). I liked the skis so much that I decided to buy them.

I have a park skiing background. My current skis are Line Elizabeths mounted 1 cm back from true center (which is 1 cm ahead of recommended). They work great for me like this. My skiing consists of about 50% park, 30% groomers and 20% soft snow (mostly skiing in the trees). I'll be moving up north so hopefully that means more soft snow.

So anyway, the Hellbents. I'm 6'1" (please don't tell me to get the 189, I liked the 179 way more) and enjoy jibbing, skiing switch and stuff like that. I ski switch maybe 30-40% of the time. I don't want to mount true center but pretty close. What would you suggest? Core center or more forward? Maybe in the middle between core center and true center?

179cm at +5.5
    5'8'' 165cm. 297 BSL.

This mounting is a good medium for landing/skiing switch in powder and pretty good float. SUPER nimble for tree skiing. If you want the ski just for skiing forward in deep powder I would mount at around +4.

+7.5 is good, I wouldn't go any further back than +6.5. Going much further back is pointless on a ski like Hellbents. It's not a traditional ski so forget comparing it to traditional ski mount points.
    My drinking buddies say i have a skiing problem...

After spending a long while assessing every post in this thread I have come to a conclusion of where to mount my bents.

Okay just kidding, I still have no idea where the fuck to mount these things. Guess I'll try out +6 and see how it is...

For what it is worth, I mounted my 179cm at +4.5. I am 5'9" and 165lbs, former Big mountain competitor and ski 95% forward. This mount is great for me, I think going anywhere from +3(K2 reps recommended me this location) to +6 and be fine. The tips will not dive they are balanced in the air and can land switch well. Ok, if you are like me this just confused you more.

Just mount them and ski and get over the numbers.
    Last edited by iamTRuTH; 11-30-2010 at 05:27 PM.

It now pays to specify which generation HB you are talking about.

I have not skied them, but +7.5 on the new ones seems to be getting a thumbs up (from folks I know who skied the old at +9 IIRC...)

last generation (2010 model specifcally). I'm not a very big kid, only about 155 lbs on a good day, so I don't think tip dive will be my issue. I just wanna make sure I can spin on em and ski pow on em. Not sure I wanna go all the way to core center though, so +6 seems like an okay compromise.

If your get 189 I would say +6, if 179 +4 or so. I'm 6'3 180 ski the 189 at +6 and love them, Easy to spin, basically dont have any tip dive unless i'm going really slow. I dont think you'd lose anything mounting further back a cm or 2 but I think further forward would be nuts. That being said, you're going to love them either way, I, like you, worried a bunch about where to mount or remount them before I ever even skid them, just mount them and ski them and you WILL be happy

Okay, so I got the 2011 model instead. Anyone have any actual experience at different mounting points on these things (nothing against you, SD. In all honesty, you're advice may be the only advice I get).

Just got a pair of the 2010s in a 189...so the consensus seems to be +6 or +7? Pretty stoked that they are not as soft as I expected them to be.

just read me through the 4 pages but still not satisfied.
    bought some 189 2010 bents (150-122-141) and i want to use them for BC jumps 95% and pow shreddin 5% cause for that i have a pontoon.
    where should i mount? is anyone in the same boat as me?
    anyone only uses them for BC kicker?
    thanks