Werner Herzog appreciation

Best director of all time IMHO. Anyone else a fan?

Aguirre, Wrath of God:

Rescue Dawn:

Fitzcarraldo:

The Enigma of Kasper Hauser:
    Last edited by Patches; 09-10-2008 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Adding more

^^^yea! Aguirre... is a favorite of mine...Kaspar Hauser was another great flick.

Don't forget Grizzly Man, Lessons of Darkness.

I heard that some of the cast were actually planning to murder him during the filming of Aguirre.

You forgot the remake of Nosferatu. Not as good as the original and I really didn't like the comedy angle, but the cinematography was weird.

werner had great tripped out soundtracks on his earlier work.
    popol vuh!!!

his new Antartica flick is great. A hilarious critique of nature films and real appreciation of natural beauty at the same time.
    another Handsome Boy graduate

Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    I heard that some of the cast were actually planning to murder him during the filming of Aguirre.
    Have you seen Burden of Dreams? Its a documentary about filming Fitzcarraldo, and shows how nutters Herzog is. But he did hire prostitutes to accompany them up the river to the filming site to keep the crew happy, so he had that going for him.

In My Best Fiend, Herzog talks about how he and Klaus Kinski both plotted to murder each other, they came pretty close. Theres a rumor he stood behind the cameraman with a gun pointed at Kinski to get him to act during some of the scenes, but unfortunately it doesnt seem to be true, he just threatened to shoot him.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

He came to my school last year to screen Encounters at the End of the World... So pissed I didn't get to see it.
    Talking shit about a pretty sunset.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    My absolute favorite. Such a hard hitting film.

Stroszek
    Stroszek was great! I have Rescue Dawn in my netlfix queue. Pissed that I missed Encounters when it was here a couple weeks ago.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Werner Herzog reads "Where's Waldo"

Herzog opened the "Rogue Film School" back in the fall, which was essentially a series of weekend speaking engagements and workshops - but god damn it sounds appealing from the mission statement.

“The Rogue Film School is not for the faint-hearted; it is for those who have travelled on foot, who have worked as bouncers in sex clubs or as wardens in a lunatic asylum, for those who are willing to learn about lockpicking or forging shooting permits in countries not favoring their projects. In short; for those who have a sense of poetry. For those who are pilgrims. For those who can tell a story to a four-year-old children and hold their attention. For those who have a fire burning within. For those who have a dream.”

Additional facts about Rogue Film School:

* The Rogue Film School will not teach anything technical related to film-making.
    * Related, but more practical subjects, will be the art of lockpicking. Traveling on foot. The exhilaration of being shot at unsuccessfully. The athletic side of filmmaking. The creation of your own shooting permits. The neutralization of bureaucracy. Guerrilla tactics. Self reliance.
    * Censorship will be enforced. There will be no talk of shamans, of yoga classes, nutritional values, herbal teas, discovering your Boundaries, and Inner Growth.
    * At the end of the seminar, you will receive a signed copy of “Conquest of the Useless” by Werner Herzog, as well as a Certificate of Participation.

And IMO relating to his recent work, Encounters at the End of the World was one of the best nature docs to come out in years, but Bad Lieutenant was manically brilliant and batshit crazy.

I cannot get enough of his voiceover work. Anyone else see that video where he was shot by a "sniper" during an interview?

Also, The White Diamond -- documentary about light airships flying in the canopy of the rainforest.

"Lessons of Darkness" was unbelievable. I think I like his documentaries more than his dramas...

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    "Lessons of Darkness" was unbelievable. I think I like his documentaries more than his dramas...
    He's supposedly directing and adapting "The Piano Tuner" which could be awesome.

lol at werner doing the voiceover on the season premiere of Boondocks last night
    http://video.adultswim.com/the-boond...y-freeman.html

my fav warrewn herzog:

Great stuff, but, he's nowhere near Fassbinder, even though that guy died too long ago.

Way to (yet again) be a gigantic buzzkill Benny.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    He's supposedly directing and adapting "The Piano Tuner" which could be awesome.
    Yeah - sounds interesting. Never read the book, and the Amazon Review is rather... meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    ...In My Best Fiend, Herzog talks about how he and Klaus Kinski both plotted to murder each other, they came pretty close. Theres a rumor he stood behind the cameraman with a gun pointed at Kinski to get him to act during some of the scenes, but unfortunately it doesnt seem to be true, he just threatened to shoot him.
    Two fantastic personalities

Bonus: Aguirre

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Werner Herzog reads "Where's Waldo"
    Woah

Mind blown

Leave it to Herzog to tell a fantastic "tips up" story:

I like his stuff. The whole Klaus Kinski bio had me in stitches . and Fitzcarraldo was legit great. He is a colorful guy. I have an old friend that is a primitive art dealer in Vanuatu & the Amazon tribal art who had a flair for hyperbole like Herzog. His stories were great though you could never truly gauge how much was embellished versus true.
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations