Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Old Maggot Trucks

Ski bums and old trucks. They kinda went hand in hand at one time.
    1 Pic.
    We're all familiar with the orange one. I dig that one.
    I know there's plenty o' new ones 'round here. Everybody and their sister's got a new one. Whoopie.
    Lets see the old reliable, (or not so reliable) beaters.

'79 F100 Ranger 1/2 ton, V-8 302, 2WD, auto, couple or three hundred K+ ???

Extra rule: You need a good excuse if the windshield isn't broken.
    Extra rule 2: If you don't have an old truck, a substitute pic and story of a TIMEX watch that has taken a lickin, and keeps on tickin may be used.

my daily driver

It's in much worse shape now, but still my daily driver.

Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Lots of Maggots know The Goat. 1992 Nissan hardbody SE V6 xtracab 4x4. The Goat goes.

Seen a lot of use on and off-road in the 15 years she's been my partner. Somewhere just shy of 300k I think; odo stopped clicking at 185,000 three or four years ago. Still on the stock clutch and playing Russian roulette with the timing belt. She spent a year and a half parked in the back yard braving the elements untouched. Towed to the shop earlier this summer for an estimate- $5800 to get it back to "good" he said. Chose to instead replace the battery and FULLY starfished windshield, change the oil and fill the tires. I've driven her every day since. Never misses a beat, old girl.

Pics to follow.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	baja2017.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	327062
    Last edited by Pinner; 05-01-2020 at 06:29 PM.

Great thread. I'm fully bummed that I don't have a scanned picture of the '65 Chevy 283 long bed half-ton that got me around the mountains and back and forth from Alaska for years. 2wd, four-speed, cracked windshield, unstoppable...except maybe really deep wet snow. 280 k miles when I sold it. The white paint was so ruined that everyone called it Spot, and the driver's door was blue where I'd bolted a junk-yard replacement on after someone caved in the original one night. Skiing, steelhead/salmon fishing, driving to backwoods forest service and blm fire stations, hauling firewood, road trips...Spot was up for it all. Now you've made me all teary, that truck was there for the best times.

the familyadventuremobile the day I picked it up. doesn't look quite as pristine anymore.

I miss my old beater. It was an '83 FJ60 in poop brown with a "bit" of rust in the rear fender wells and a nicely broken windshield. I paid $1600 for it and drove it everyday for about 3 years till I rolled it off the side of the Founders Parkway in the snow. 238,000 miles on a motor that would have gone another 200K gladly. I was so upset after the incident that I forgot to remove the pimped out cabbie style beaded seat cover from the front seat before I towed it to the junk yard and sold it as scrap for $400.

It would be great to get a new beater. I check CL for that phantom Custom Delux with the faded two tone brown and tan paint and no major body damage at least once a week, but none ever show up. I can just hear the sound of the Sanford and Son theme song now...
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

My 52' Willys has been waiting for this thread.

She's no beater, but she just went over 100,000 miles a month ago. Or maybe it was 200,000 miles. I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    It's in much worse shape now, but still my daily driver.

I drive the same truck, 88' right?
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Thumbs up

Word. Just sold my 88 F250 and bought "Chancho," an 87 FSB. He's got headers, a 3" lift, K&N Cold Air, MSD Ignition Upgrade, KYB shocks and a lot more. My favorite part is that I ripped out the interior and Rhinolined the whole thing. Combined with the neoprene seat covers, now I just hose him out after hunting.

Interior being ripped out:

Crossing a creek on a backpacking trip:

"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Here is my old beater. Sold it in Bolivia. My buddy and I bought this at the end of 2002 ski season in Park City for $1600 and drove it down the pacific coast all the way to Chile. Thing had over 200,000 miles on it when we bought it. Just a couple small repairs, and about 40,000 miles later, I sold it in Bolivia for $1700. Thing was awesome. We beat the living crap out of it. I miss it. The first two are in Northern Chile in the Atacama, and the last one is in Northwestern Argentina on the way up to Bolivia.

sigless.

^^^^ proud
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Diggin' your Willys Greg. I had a 1960.

Buick 225 odd fire V6 (out of a '64 Skylark GS), New Process transfer case, Muncie 420 tranny turning 5.38's in the pumpkins, Hurst short throw shifter and a Warn 27% overdrive. It also had a 4" softride suspension lift kit with Rancho RS 9000's and 235/85/16's. I had 215 horses (tested on a rear wheel dyno) and total weight was just under 2000 #'s so it was quick, really quick (up to 50 ) and as long as you didn't try to corner it was great. 22mpg no matter what the weather and it would go anywhere. I did a bunch of other little things too like a radiator out of a 1968 Dodge motorhome, it was almost twice the size of the original, and two extra fan forced hot water heaters bolted to the rear wheel wells so I could wear a t shirt delivering pizzas in Steamboat in January. I also changed the steering box and column to one out of a '67 or '68 Bonneville.

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    my daily driver

So jealous. I really, really, really miss my '95 SE V6 Pathfinder. Tough as nails, even ran for about a half hour with no oil after puncturing the oil pan, was able to get her to a garage before the shit hit the fan... When I passed her on to my younger sister she had around 180k on her and still going strong.
    I still call it The Jake.

Heh, this thread makes me think of the Redneck Battle Truck song.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN2JQ6HF9NA

Not a truck but it's pretty nice for almost being 30 years old. Currently parked in a bus barn waiting for a transmission rebuild and a good buffing.

It’s the places you ride that are special, not you riding there.”

All stunts performed without a net!

^^^That thing is sweet, some new springs and shocks and time to find some jumps!
    sigless.

1961 Dodge Power Wagon M-37 Ambulance. This thing went through anything.

Can't believe no one has posted this sweet rig here yet:

I still call it The Jake.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by uppernotmaster View Post
    My 52' Willys has been waiting for this thread.

Nice man, my dad has a '52 Willys pick-up that has only 5k original miles on it that he bought for 2 grand!

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    Here is my old beater. Sold it in Bolivia. My buddy and I bought this at the end of 2002 ski season in Park City for $1600 and drove it down the pacific coast all the way to Chile. Thing had over 200,000 miles on it when we bought it. Just a couple small repairs, and about 40,000 miles later, I sold it in Bolivia for $1700. Thing was awesome. We beat the living crap out of it. I miss it. The first two are in Northern Chile in the Atacama, and the last one is in Northwestern Argentina on the way up to Bolivia.

How did you get around the Darien Gap? Did you pay for a ship container or what?

Yeah we paid freight for a half size container that the truck barely fit in. We arranged it through Maersk in Panama City, and shipped it to Guyaquil Ecuador. It took quite a while to arrive so in the mean time we flew to Bogota and Cartegena Colombia. The chicks go out to party there in BRAS. I kid you not. And at the bar you buy a whole bottle of whiskey, not a drink. Badass.
    sigless.

Sold her a bit ago. A bit nippy up the hill but the pedals were far enough apart that ski boots could be worn while driving.

Friend's cruiser

And another, owned by the Loaf (my buddy in the driver's seat)

So much for the beater truck thread, ^^^^these are all sweet rides that I would love to drive around if gas were less than $4/gal
    sigless.

Wow that is a really sweet Bronco commonlaw! I had a 76 FJ55 that looked just like that one except for how much rust mine had. I also had a '70 that was built like a tank with a 3 different plow frames all welded to the front end and a C beam welded to the frame for a rear bumper. That thing did a fair amount of damage to whatever I chose to drive into