Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by single View Post
    Got rid of my new truck for this unreliable daily driver.

Love old Fords. Those wheel arches are rad.

Quote Originally Posted by Crock View Post
    Similar truck, extra cab space. Daily driven for years until I had the need to add a rear-facing carseat, then lifted 3" and promoted to weekend warrior. Best vehicle I've ever owned by orders of magnitude.
    I am sad to report the 03 Taco is gone. Replaced with a 2018 Tacoma TRD offroad doublecab for one of my sons to drive. The wife wanted something "safer" the new Taco has front collision braking and lane keep assist and all sorts of fancy things like crawl control. I sold the 03 in about 3 hours on craigslist for $7k. I had only paid about $4 k a few years earlier. Of course that didnt include lift and wheels, but still an all around great deal. The kid and mom love the new one, but I am not sure if I really need lane keeping assist in 15 years like the old one. I wound up buying a polaris ranger crew cab for woods duty though

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6090.JPG 
Views:	142 
Size:	197.4 KB 
ID:	326848

Ive had the company of this 2000 5sp 4wd with 207k on the clock for the last month. Runs like a champ and has been hauling wood, water, waste and whatever else the last few weeks. I haven’t spent much time in Tacos, but I’m learning the appeal

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Yep, those rims say "all hat, no cows". Could be a sweet looking and functional ride with 17s and 35s or 37s. Easy to see there's no rock scrapes on the rims and if he were using it, those rims would be trashed.
    I've got 18s w 35s and I think it looks proportional and plenty of meat. 37s I may even go up to 20s. I wouldn't want a highway blowout with 15s and 37s.

Single....I am aroused.

Quote Originally Posted by VTeton View Post
    I've got 18s w 35s and I think it looks proportional and plenty of meat. 37s I may even go up to 20s. I wouldn't want a highway blowout with 15s and 37s.
    Sure. I meant on that Scout in particular. Probably has a 6-8" spring over lift without a shackle reverse on a super short wheelbase old Scout. That thing is made to get dirty on some rocks and trails...not cruise a highway at any real speed. I stand by smaller diameter wheel like a 17, maybe 18 and more rubber. I'm running 16"s and 35s on my 80. Highway doesn't bother me but it is also lower and longer than the pictured Scout.

For highway driving, sure, go way bigger on your rims and a little bigger on tires. And if highway is your thing, a different car than that Scout. And white Oakley Gascans.

Sure. I meant on that Scout in particular. Probably has a 6-8" spring over lift without a shackle reverse on a super short wheelbase old Scout. That thing is made to get dirty on some rocks and trails...not cruise a highway at any real speed. I stand by smaller diameter wheel like a 17, maybe 18 and more rubber. I'm running 16"s and 35s on my 80. Highway doesn't bother me but it is also lower and longer than the pictured Scout.

For highway driving, sure, go way bigger on your rims and a little bigger on tires. And if highway is your thing, a different car than that Scout. And white Oakley Gascans.
    I laughed way too hard at this! Also I'm running 38s on 15s but it's a dedicated wheeler. I like low pressure and a big footprint.

And white Oakley Gascans.
    Fuckin' eh.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Quote Originally Posted by VTeton
    I ran 37's on 17's w/o beadlocks on a 500HP truck, almost always aired down offroad from 15-20. No issues at all. Ran 41's on 17's without beadlocks on a 11,000 pound diesel truck at speed offroad aired down to 20 PSI as well. Planning to run 36's (255/100r16) on the old green truck soon too.

No issue with big tire on small wheels, provided the width is matched well between wheel and tire. Those first two trucks saw fast highway speeds (90+) too. Green truck wont cause its flat out at 65.

Scheming on some stuff, but it has also recently had a rebuild transfer case, replacement long block, 4 wheel disc brake conversion and a handful of other unexpected crap in the last year of ownership. Favorite car I have owned so far though.
    Would you mind sharing what you picked that up for?

Sweet truck for sure.

I thought it was a good deal at 5k, but then it wasnt.

Funny story though. Driving home it started losing oil to the tune of a quart every ten miles with ridiculous crank case pressure. When the motor gave up the ghost a few miles later, the long block was replaced in Couer D'alene and the transfer case rebuilt.

Then after that got done, it was up in the mountains and broke a rear axle shaft and I learned why non-floating rear axles suck. When the wheel fell off on the highway in a blizzard, I chose to drive the truck to the next offramp on the Livingston pass so I wouldn't be rear ended and die.

Two special order custom splined axle shafts later, couldn't find a replacement backing plate for the drum brake that was worn into the pavement because vintage ford 4x4 parts can be impossible to come by. So instead of making the right choice and swapping axles, converted the truck to four wheel disc brakes w/ a booster on the stock closed knuckle dana 44 and ford 9" rear.

I think that's it so far.

Probably like 11k?

I ran 37's on 17's w/o beadlocks on a 500HP truck, almost always aired down offroad from 15-20. No issues at all.
    I assume this means the Raptor you were driving when you ran into my old man in the middle of Death Valley?

Probably like 11k?
    Hah! Ouch.

Yup, definitely not my taste. SOA with 22"s and 35's. I like a bit more meat in my tire.
    I have 15's with 35X13.5 Toyo Open Country M/T's. The perfect look on an old rig. I just don't think 17's or 18's would look right.

My GC is probably late 50's early 60's. He said he doesn't go too much over 50 in that rig. Lives way up in the sticks near some pretty fun sugar sand trails with a mix of rock and mud. He drove this down just to show it to me. From the sounds of it, it is pretty sketchy at speed.

My CJ will do 90 no problem. Evasive moves, stopping fast, and tire blowouts not advised.

Conundrum- what are your thoughts on the shackle reverse? I have a M.O.R.E shackle reverse on mine. I like the ride, but sometimes braking is pretty sketchy.
    Also toying with doing a brake boost mod. I have read good and bad about those, but I could really use some more STOP.

https://westslope.craigslist.org/hvo...085443795.html

I’ve been eyeballing this truck for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Yup, definitely not my taste. SOA with 22"s and 35's. I like a bit more meat in my tire.
    I have 15's with 35X13.5 Toyo Open Country M/T's. The perfect look on an old rig. I just don't think 17's or 18's would look right.

My GC is probably late 50's early 60's. He said he doesn't go too much over 50 in that rig. Lives way up in the sticks near some pretty fun sugar sand trails with a mix of rock and mud. He drove this down just to show it to me. From the sounds of it, it is pretty sketchy at speed.

My CJ will do 90 no problem. Evasive moves, stopping fast, and tire blowouts not advised.

Conundrum- what are your thoughts on the shackle reverse? I have a M.O.R.E shackle reverse on mine. I like the ride, but sometimes braking is pretty sketchy.
    Also toying with doing a brake boost mod. I have read good and bad about those, but I could really use some more STOP.
    Your Jeep is one of my favorites. I only say 17 or 18” rims as 35s seem to have more options in that range than 15 and 16s. I like the look of smaller wheels on older stuff though.

I don’t have a shackle reverse on my 40 but never really go over 55 in it. I think they have a smoother ride and handle high speed bumps better in 40s I’ve ridden in. I’d put one on my 40 if I drove it a bunch.

I put a shackle reverse kit on one of my FJ40's in the early 80's. I remember it helped the wandering at highway speeds but never noticed any braking problems other than the rear occasionally locking up but I figured that was caused by the PTO winch on the bumper, extra weight of the 350 and no weight in back . The kit did require the rear to be lifted about 3" (I went with a spring over conversion).

I still have 15" rims on my Toyota and have had 31's to 35's on it in it's life, 32 x 11.50 (with 3.90 gears) seems to be the perfect size and have gone thru 5 sets of BFG AT's in that size. 33's were ok but 35's and lower tire pressures combined with the locking rear made corners interesting at times with the rear unlocking and front sidewalls flexing.

Toyota with 35's and 15" rims (or maybe 33's)

Name:	toyota truck.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	140.4 KB 
ID:	326998

just committed to a 98 2.7 4wd taco with brand new clutch that has a whopping 135k, i think i lucked out. pics next week

anyone in new england have 15" wheels for a set of tires that come with it?

Warthog- I agree with conundrum that your jeep is one of my favorites. Just really well done. (Only thing I'd change are those (smittybuilt?) Nerf bars. One of my main wheeling buddies has an 82 CJ7 on tons that was originally that same renegade package.

I thought it was a good deal at 5k, but then it wasnt.

Funny story though. Driving home it started losing oil to the tune of a quart every ten miles with ridiculous crank case pressure. When the motor gave up the ghost a few miles later, the long block was replaced in Couer D'alene and the transfer case rebuilt.

Then after that got done, it was up in the mountains and broke a rear axle shaft and I learned why non-floating rear axles suck. When the wheel fell off on the highway in a blizzard, I chose to drive the truck to the next offramp on the Livingston pass so I wouldn't be rear ended and die.

Two special order custom splined axle shafts later, couldn't find a replacement backing plate for the drum brake that was worn into the pavement because vintage ford 4x4 parts can be impossible to come by. So instead of making the right choice and swapping axles, converted the truck to four wheel disc brakes w/ a booster on the stock closed knuckle dana 44 and ford 9" rear.

Probably like 11k?
    I was hoping the backstory from those pics would come out. Thanks for not disappointing. And despite the headaches, sweet old truck!

Your Jeep is one of my favorites. I only say 17 or 18” rims as 35s seem to have more options in that range than 15 and 16s. I like the look of smaller wheels on older stuff though.

I don’t have a shackle reverse on my 40 but never really go over 55 in it. I think they have a smoother ride and handle high speed bumps better in 40s I’ve ridden in. I’d put one on my 40 if I drove it a bunch.
    God damn that's dope. Still love that thing.

Guess I should put this here. My dream rig, bought last year from Woody. Mr. Myagi turns 50 this year, so I guess he’s old, though his motor is a modern 5.3L vortec with 5 speed NV tranny. He is as fun to drive as he looks. I’ll die with this rig in my garage.

Name:	9A32D3CD-6BA9-4BA0-BC9A-ECAE67F90F2A.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	865.4 KB 
ID:	327082

Name:	151B2234-7AFA-4BAF-9DCE-796B89159D09.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	829.7 KB 
ID:	327083
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

remember if you're not an old maggot you're in the wrong thread

Name:	Igor2.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	472.9 KB 
ID:	327106

Muddy the dog in a muddy truck
    Name:  Muddy.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  60.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Guess I should put this here. My dream rig, bought last year from Woody. Mr. Myagi turns 50 this year, so I guess he’s old, though his motor is a modern 5.3L vortec with 5 speed NV tranny. He is as fun to drive as he looks. I’ll die with this rig in my garage.

Name:	9A32D3CD-6BA9-4BA0-BC9A-ECAE67F90F2A.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	865.4 KB 
ID:	327082

Name:	151B2234-7AFA-4BAF-9DCE-796B89159D09.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	829.7 KB 
ID:	327083

@reverend she’s a pretty gal!! I’ll play along, here’s Bleu — bone stock right now as I’m sorting out what her purpose will be! But after a year of daily driving responsibilities thinking I’ll keep her pretty much like she is + a OME lift, desmog, and a five speed! Maybe a rear bumper/bike rack but I feel that would detract from her simplicity.

Woody sources some quality cruisers!

Name:	IMG_2938.JPG 
Views:	107 
Size:	213.0 KB 
ID:	327115

Name:	IMG_2935.JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	235.4 KB 
ID:	327116

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums