Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
    Great story, Art! How many miles on the truck?
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

I just finished a lot of work on an original owner, pristine 1984 FJ60 landcruiser. Painfully stock lol.
    He bought it off the dealership floor and has had it garaged ever since. 130k miles. Now he just drives it to the golf course and back.
    No, he won't sell it

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Great story, Art! How many miles on the truck?
    17k on the brand new crate engine he put in about 10 years ago. Miles from new, so what’s on the chassis, is 191k. I bet this thing has easily another 6 digits I can put on it.

More Larry updates. He’s convinced I need the box and manual for the new stereo face he put in (it’s one of those pop off deals that were popular in the late 90s) so that I know how to operate it. I’m going to head over and have him show me how to program the channels. Also found a sweet mag lite under the seat and after I told him he told me that I actually bought the mag lite and got the truck for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    Attachment 122237Not that old, just turned 14000km.
    Still have this truck, 2012 bought with 6km, sled too. Truck has a canopy now. Air bag suspension went in many years ago so it doesn't sag as they tend to do. 110,000km, and it is in need of its first real maintenance.

The original battery finally let me down so I'm buying one of those. It's time to replace the studded winters I bought the day after I bought the truck so ive got some studded hakapolitas picked out.. Brakes should probably see some love, they're Original. Maybe check the coolant. It should be good for another 10 years.

The fucked up thing is, is that if I do the maintence I could sell it for what I paid.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Shirk View Post
    Attachment 421785

Grabbed a farm truck. One Ton 350 Power Ram 4x4. I live pretty deep on an already rural island and have a neighbor down the road I’ve met a couple times but don’t know well. He never parked this truck out front so hadn’t seen it before but drove by and there was a For Sale sign that apparently he had almost literally put on when I knocked on his door. We live on a private road so it’s crazy he even posted a sign and got a bite as just a few neighbors drive by everyday.

Anyway, we take it for a spin and I can tell he’s a lonely older fella and likes to tell great stories so we just keep driving and chatting. We finally head back towards home and he confides in me that he has multiple organ stage 4 cancer that was just diagnosed a few days ago. He’s not going to do any treatment and just wants to live out his days fishing and riding his bike for as long as possible. I stay for coffee and am just blown away by his stoicism and peace. I get angrier than him when my kids leave the towel on the bathroom floor. He’s pretty sure that if there is a God, he’s an asshole, so he’s happy either being worm food or hanging out with some other entity.

We start talking about the truck and he tells me he’s well off and he can’t take the Dodge with him so he tosses me the keys. Free truck he says. I decline and pay him what was on the sign which was a smoking deal anyway and tell him he can donate it if he wants.

That was a couple weeks ago and we text everyday now and I pop by to see how he’s doing. He always wants me to drive the truck down to him so he can show me more little tidbits about it and retell it’s history. He also loves to “fix” little things on it still that are completely unnecessary for a near 40 year old rig. He’s concerned that the absolutely banged up truck bed needs an old piece of plywood so I headed over for that too. I will say the hidden key was nice to know about.

Attachment 421786

Anyway, we will see how long he hangs on but I like the story and am glad something he loved will have another life. This thing is cherry too. Brand new engine and tranny 17k ago among a ton of other stuff. I have all the receipts and original manual and looks like he put 15 grand into this thing in the last 10 years just getting it buttoned up. It has a ton more life.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    RIP Larry. You were a real one. See ya this Saturday for the ashes ceremony.

That sux Art. Make sure to drive that truck to the ceremony.

RIP

RIP Ol' Larry. Ask for some of his ashes and put a few in the engine oil.

I’m driving my mower there to give his yard a nice trim before the ceremony. But otherwise for sure. I dig the ashes idea but not sure his partner is gonna be cool with that.

“Hey, before you dump him out completely, mind if I grab a pinch?”

Not a lot of solemnity in my comment but that’s the way Larry would like it.

Well, shit. RIP Larry.

Larry is Legend. Good stories!

RIP Larry, we barely knew ya.

I am picturing scooping up a vial of Larry, similar to how they collected Mt St Helen's ashes.
    Probably wouldn't go over too well, but man what a story.
    "So what's with the old film canister hanging from the rear view?"
    "Man do I have a story for you..."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7428.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	434.5 KB 
ID:	476961
    1994 F250 4x4 7.5 Gasser. 122k. New to me. Getting it cleaned up and fixed up along the way. Waiting for the right old Alaskan Camper cross my path and fall into the bed. Daily driver.

Let me see some more old trucks
    Last edited by nonamenoneed; 11-21-2023 at 03:04 PM.

My grandpa had an '85 F250 Lariat standard cab with the 460 and 4 spd MT. I can still smell the exhaust!

Thanks for sharing Art - you made Larry’s last days that much better.
    Dig the truck!

Name:  40594083_10217107965438243_1109923100947906560_n.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  37.1 KB
    Igor got my ski hut up te high clearance
    Name:  131995220_10224841432090076_8768414301481652333_n.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  32.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by nonamenoneed View Post

Name:	IMG_7428.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	434.5 KB 
ID:	476961
    1994 F250 4x4 7.5 Gasser. 122k. New to me. Getting it cleaned up and fixed up along the way. Waiting for the right old Alaskan Camper cross my path and fall into the bed. Daily driver.

Let me see some more old trucks
    Nice. Looks clean as fuck. I miss my 97 7.3 dearly.

My 2012 F150 got in another fender bender in a parking lot last week (not my fault, 3rd in a f'n year). Minor bed/bumper damage so I'll pocket the insurance $$. She's well on her way to being an ugly old truck.

That Power Ram is pure sexy. Prospector package, one of the all-time greatest paint schemes, the more solid 80s doors with the modern mirrors.

Larry, wants you to check the drip rail often. I fucked up and let mine go too long during Covid. She is now parked in the garage and waiting for the coin to be saved to fix it.

Name:	IMG_3618.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	719.8 KB 
ID:	477017

Name:	IMG_2143.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	734.5 KB 
ID:	477018

These cabs rust from the inside out. Also, these is a hole large enough in the rear cab corner where rodents can get into and then get clear up into the roof skins, build nests, and completely fuck things.

I strongly recommend, that you get a cavity wand and treat the inners with a rust converter/preventer. I would use a cavity wax if no signs of rust and a phosphoric acid product if there is rust. Access through the dome light and the visor holes can reach almost every when on a standard cab.

I love cavity wax.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

It’s like Larry sent you to deliver his message. Just checked and it’s just starting to show signs of erosion. Thanks Hood and thanks Larry. Killer rig Hood. Damn.

It’s not uncommon for someone to yell “Larry!” at me when I’m uptown. I always love that.

Thanks! I love these first gens. Send me a PM anytime.

I used this in the cavity.

https://www.mrochem.com/BlackStar-Rust-Converter.html

I think it has slowed it down. Not sure what I will top coat with. I may still need to find donor metal, but the crews are scarce and no one is making replacement skins for them.
    "Let's be careful out there."

Name:	IMG_2401.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	682.3 KB 
ID:	477147

1999 3500 with a sled deck. 190k and still going strong

Quote Originally Posted by ianpnw View Post

Name:	IMG_2401.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	682.3 KB 
ID:	477147

1999 3500 with a sled deck. 190k and still going strong
    Love it

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hood26 View Post
    Thanks! I love these first gens. Send me a PM anytime.

I used this in the cavity.

https://www.mrochem.com/BlackStar-Rust-Converter.html

I think it has slowed it down. Not sure what I will top coat with. I may still need to find donor metal, but the crews are scarce and no one is making replacement skins for them.
    I think we have a crew sitting in the Pick and Pull here. I have found so many gems there, I am investing in a battery powered angle grinder soon. I need to cut a section out of the bed of a 1995 F 150 to cover the access hole I cut for the gas tank. I will let you know if it is there and in good shape. Might be worth cutting it off. I may take the F 150 cap with me this time, depending on what shape it is in. I need to paint the top of the Bronco soon, so it would be a great time to inspect the skin and replace it if needed.