Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Really nice job Lee. Did you have to lift it? Looks about perfect with those wheels and tires. Any smaller would look odd. 35`s?

I would kill to be able to just take the bed off and have access to the whole rear and the exhaust. Would make things so much easier. I have slowly been undercoating with POR , and Durabac. Total pita though, working upside down and taping stuff first.
    Looks awesome. I might have to add a Highboy Crew Cab to my dream garage. Already have one of the trucks, but still want a `70`s Bronco, FJ80, Scout II, and a Cherokee Chief. Gonna need a bigger garage, and a more tolerant wife.

The highboys came from the factory as you see in the picture.. the tires are 12X16.5.
    You should be able to take the bed off with either 4-6 bolts.. I am not sure, but they are heavy as hell.
    This truck actually weighs close to my 2013 f250 powerstroke
    Good luck on finding one.. as I have said before I have only ever seen one other white crewcab highboy
    Not many of the other colors.. Most were worked to shit, and junked.
    Appreciate all the cool replies. Its like showing off my kid..

old truck by chadbro, on Flickr

or does one consider this an old van?
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

I guess my van is old too.

This belongs to a friend of mine, It has skis for the front wheels too (sitting in the bed), so I guess it could have gone in the snowmobile thread.

dude, strong work, really. Very legit. Nice work. Nice family values.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeC View Post
    Its a 74 Highboy Crewcab. It came from the factory as you see it. Other than tires.
    I remember when my dad bought it, and I actually have the receipt somewhere. 7700.00, or close to it.
    I slept in the front, and Dad in the back when we went hunting.
    It sat in the yard for about 15yrs, and was fading away. It only has 50,000 miles on it.
    I decided to have a guy where I work rebuild it, and it took about a year, but it did come out Nice. We only replaced everything inside, and repainted. I did not want it showroom clean, because I knew I wanted to take it out, and not worry about scratching it up. I spent more than Dad originally paid for it to get it back in shape.
    I drive it to work once in awhile, its 70 miles, and I can attest to not being able to drink anything, talk on the phone, or even hear the radio when cruising down the road, but damn I look good cruising
    I have only ever seen one other truck like this ever. It will be in the family till I die for sure.
    I called the insurance company and told them what I wanted to insure it for, and they laughed, and said the most they would insure it for was 7,000.00. I told them I will give you till tomorrow, and if you can find another truck like this for 7 grand I will buy two of em. When I called back the next day, they said no problem, and insured it for the original asking amount.
    It does stay in the garage alot, but is ready to go when I am..No Garage queen..

TLDR: Dad bought new, son rebuilt it, and proud as hell of it..

This is the total sickness

Quote Originally Posted by LeeC View Post

owens by chadbrownimages, on Flickr

this thread is win
    watch out for snakes

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	359.0 KB 
ID:	148940

Bump for getting my new 80 wired up to my trailer.

If that landcruiser was a truck, you would not need the trailer Not sure SUV's are trucks

I wish more "trucks" could go where I can in my 80. Actually, I don't.
    Last edited by Conundrum; 01-21-2014 at 06:39 AM.

long viddy for you guys with ADD but pretty kewl

watch out for snakes

04 Zr2 Blazwhore

so much win ...

I like the skid plate ... I mean number plate ...

Name:	CIMG0005.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	304.1 KB 
ID:	148965
    We, the RATBAGGERS, formally axcept our duty is to trigger avalaches on all skiers ...

Old Ta hoe

Name:	IMGP0740.JPG 
Views:	205 
Size:	194.8 KB 
ID:	148967
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    I wish more "trucks" could go where I can in my 80. Actually, I don't.
    I think the basic test of a truck should be if you would haul a half ton of manure with it. I am on my third 4runner, a 1999 model with a small lift and bigger tires, but it ain't no truck. The first one I had, a 1987 4runner, was basically a truck with a topper and seats in it. I never referred to it as my truck. I see suburbans and Tahoes called trucks, and like the 4runner, they are built on frame rails, but they are passenger vehicles. What about unibody vehicles like the GMC Envoy? Truck, I don't think so. A lot of the vehicles in this thread really are not trucks, despite being really cool and capable 4x4s. Just my take

I hauled 7 people and 2500 lbs of raft gear to place most people wouldn't take a truck. I've also hauled 3500 lbs of gravel in that trailer. Never had a reason to haul shit but could and would.

I think a lot vehicles you would call trucks are less truckly than my 80. It's got solid full float axles front and rear and a fully boxed frame in it. Name the most recent year a half ton "truck" came with those stock.

I get your point though. People call a lot of IFS creature comfort vehicles trucks nowadays. Unless you converted, your 87 had IFS and a light weight frame. Plus, by your definition, with a little spring help, Brats, Rancheros, and El Caminos could be called trucks.

Really not trying to bring stoke levels down in this thread. Merely pointing out subtle differences in certain vehicles often go unnoticed. And an Envoy, seriously, who buys those?
    Last edited by Conundrum; 01-21-2014 at 01:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    04 Zr2 Blazwhore

Based on it's age and apparent condition I'm guessing you haven't had too many problems with it? I had a '00 ZR2 pickup for a little while. I had set out to buy a Tacoma but ended up with that instead. Biggest POS I've ever owned. couldn't crawl it's way out of a wet paper bag and by the time it had 60k on the clock everything but the engine had something wrong with it. Took a bath on it just to get rid of it and avoid more repair costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post

I think a lot vehicles you would call trucks are less truckly than my 80. It's got solid full float axles front and rear and a fully boxed frame in it. Name the most recent year a half ton "truck" came with those stock. ...
    I have an '84. Last year of the carb'd 22R, still solid axles and fully boxed frame. Should have it running again in the next month or so. Rebuilt the bottom end and topping it off with a ported 20R head, Weber 32/34, and Thorley Tri-Y header. These little trucks are definitely "trucks."
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw_Willie View Post
    Based on it's age and apparent condition I'm guessing you haven't had too many problems with it? I had a '00 ZR2 pickup for a little while. I had set out to buy a Tacoma but ended up with that instead. Biggest POS I've ever owned. couldn't crawl it's way out of a wet paper bag and by the time it had 60k on the clock everything but the engine had something wrong with it. Took a bath on it just to get rid of it and avoid more repair costs.
    Nope no problems other than the typical wear on front end suspension parts (which I recently replaced, tightened everything up real nice). I'm the second owner and it's got roughly 135,XXX miles on it. Pretty damn capable off road too. I wheeled it pretty hard for about a year and a half but it is retired pavement for now.

The general consensus with these trucks is love it or hate it, doesn't seem like there's much middle ground. Some of them are just plagued with issues from the beginning.

Fucking Wang. Best back country rig I've ever owned. Aussie in the back, stock solid axles, 6" OME lift, T100 transfer case and transmission, stock 22RE, 33" BFG's. Bombproof reliability, crawls up anything and is a pretty damned decent road vehicle, too. Not to mention solid MPG.

Wang RULES.

Name:	wang.littlewood.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	111.8 KB 
ID:	149036

Name:	wang.summit.jpg 
Views:	253 
Size:	115.7 KB 
ID:	149037
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

^^^Sweet! I want an OG 4Runner. And a FZJ 80 Land Cruiser. And a T100 (or original Tundra). And...
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Just picked up my dad's '76 F250 Camper Special XLT. My grandpa bought it new in '75. My dad bought it from him in the early 90s. Pops passed away a couple years ago so I went to my mom's and pulled it out of the garage. 53k original on the clock. 460 with a C6.

Name:	photo-8.JPG 
Views:	922 
Size:	174.2 KB 
ID:	165630

Nice.

That's right there is saaaah-weet!
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1427418480.333389.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	165632

Old Maggot Trucks

I was gonna hijack this thread but that joe dirt meme is too slick
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000