Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2008 Fall Steelhead / Salmon

This one is for Duckworth...R.I.P.
    Deschutes Native Steelhead 25" 4-5 lbs on the swing @ sunset 8/31/2008
    many more to come
    Last edited by yonskion; 09-01-2008 at 05:04 PM.
    "Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is" -Charles DeMar
    Never argue with an idiot..They always drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Being that I can't go steelheading this season I am hopefully gonna be drooling over this thread. Bring on the pics PNW'ers and Great Lakes folks.

rocky mtn steelhead

The closest steelies for mountain folk is the Salmon River north of Sun Valley.
    This year's run looks HUGE.

Do steelies make it as far as Wyoming in the Snake?

Quote Originally Posted by 72Twenty View Post
    Do steelies make it as far as Wyoming in the Snake?
    No, they don't make it past Hell's Canyon Northwest of Boise in the Snake River. You're best off heading up to Salmon, ID and fishing the Salmon river there. It helps to have a boat, but there is some OK wade fishing between Challis and Salmon on HWY 75.
    Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't
    help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs...

What G. Gordon said. Or, you can head to Lewiston, ID and fish the Clearwater, Snake, and Grande Ronde. The steelies arrive there well before they get to Salmon, ID. In fact, you could go now and have a chance at a fish.

Quote Originally Posted by G. Gordon Liddy View Post
    No, they don't make it past Hell's Canyon Northwest of Boise in the Snake River. You're best off heading up to Salmon, ID and fishing the Salmon river there. It helps to have a boat, but there is some OK wade fishing between Challis and Salmon on HWY 75.
    I thought 93 ran between Challis and Salmon, or does 75 become 93 at Challis? Either way, steelies can be had there.
    Shut your eyes and think of somewhere. Somewhere cold and caked with snow.

Steelhead Bums get ready! This years dam(n) counts are way up.
    110,000 already over the last dam, @ 150% of the ten year average. Fish are in the Clearwater, Snake and moving into the upper Salmon.

There was a free two-handed Spey Rod clinic on the Clearwater last weekend, there will be another in Salmon on Oct. 12.

Carpe Rodum!

B Russ on a tare.... fkn spoon chucker
    Never argue with an idiot..They always drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Summer is over

Nice Feesh! ^^^^^
    Is that the Deschutes? Fuck I miss that place. Central Idaho has it's perks, but damn I miss summer steelheading. I lived at Beaver Tail Campground for a summer chasing those bastards. Good times!
    Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't

That's it. I'm planning on adding some pics to this subject on Monday. It's a little early for the fall fun steelies and lake run browns, but I'm going to try anyway. Just gotta avoid the crusty salmon. Stand by.

Thought this one could use some more stoke. The picture is of a buddy who got into some nice Steeleys down in Oregon yesterday (so not me but I doubt you all will complain).

Damn nice fish your buddy got

Yesterday I Fished "Mecca" tangled with 2
    Landed one, the other broke off.
    Fish are all the way to the Dam on the Deschutes.
    I forgot my camera sorry no photos.

Got a call yesterday from a pal in Salmon. He landed his first steelie of the year and knew of other catches. Plus it's cold as fuck which should really get em moving upstream.

Headed up to Salmon Friday a.m. Hearing crazy stories--gotsta go see for myself.

Um.... Need a partner in crime?

two days of skunk. I have seen 10+ Fish. Sunday and Yesterday including one at my feet and another in 7" of water in the middle of a sunny day, 1 tug with nothing on the hook..... due any second must be getting close to 1000 casts since the last

Um.... Need a partner in crime?
    I can't commit. But if you go and see a white Toyota 4Runner parked by the river, say howdy.

Dave at Silver Creek Outfitters told me his buddy hooked seven!

Holy Hell! 7 fish in Salmon!!! Be sure to post a report when you get back! I have a 8 week old at home so I doubt I could have pulled off a trip anyhow!Dave James or Faultings?

Not the best picture I've ever taken, but I was out solo and wanted to get her back in the water so this is the best I've got. Went out two weekends ago fishing some traditional salmon run rivers in the UP looking for the shadows behind the crusty kings. Landed this gal who was in the 24" range (pic) who was feeding on eggs behind the kings. Also managed to hook and land a very nice buck that pushed the tape to just over 32". He took me over a hundred yards down river and I landed him in kind of a no mans land so I netted him, turned the hook and let him go without a pic. I've ruined a few cameras by holding them over the water. The steelhead fishing should only continue to get better for us into November. More to follow!!

Went down Friday afternoon evening looking for Steelhead. Then this little "Som Bitch" took a swing.....Bull Trout are very rare in this part of the Deschutes never seen one caught this far down until Today. Crazy

Holy Hell! 7 fish in Salmon!!! Be sure to post a report when you get back! I have a 8 week old at home so I doubt I could have pulled off a trip anyhow!Dave James or Faultings?
    Skunked, not even a tug. Didn't get up there until almost 10 and had sun on the water the whole day. Might wait for a cloudy day next week to go again.

Faultings buddy said he hooked seven. I am now a sceptic.

Yon, call me. I want to go steelheading while we can and would gladly join you.