The "After Work Ride"... in Crested Butte

As some of you may know, I'm currently working in Crested Butte for the ski resort... and one of the perks of this job is the hundreds of miles of singletrack out my front door. Literally. Just about every day I've been begging people in town to show me around and ride with me.... special thanks to D-Side, SydVicious, and Mtnbikerskierchick for putting up with my slow ass. Since I'm the slow guy in the group now, I didn't bring my camera on all the rides figuring I wouldn't have time to snap pics- but I did on a few. The first set of pictures are from the Upper Loop and Whetstone Vista, one from Green Lake, and the last set are from the world-famous 401 Trail. Seriously the most amazing trail I've ever ridden- one of those trails that makes me thankful I live in Colorado.

Starting out on the Upper Trail, basically right from my doorstep:

Looking over Lake Grant towards Whetstone Mtn:

The trail ducks into the aspens for a while:

On the way back around, above the Skyland neighborhood:'

Another view of Whetstone:

On the climb up to Green Lake, accompanied by some TGR folks:

Ah yes, the top of the 401 climb. Pure bliss:

And we're off.... 6-7 miles of the best downhill in the country:

Looking back down the Gothic Valley, with Gothic Peak on the right and Mt. CB way back in the distance:

Ridin' in the wildflowers... still everywhere:

Find the biker:

One of the most breathtaking views around. I'm blown away every time I ride this trail:

Still going down:

If its possible, the views get better as you get lower:

Looking back up towards Schofield Pass as the sun peaks through the storm:

Nearing the end as we enter the aspens:

Ah yes, the after-work ride.... ain't nothing wrong with a 9-to-5'er around here.

Thumbs up

thats killer. nice pics.
    Drive slow, homie.

great pics and sweet scenery. thanks
    "At least if the species has lost it's animal strength, individual members can have the fun of finding it again..."
    -T & R Russell On The Loose

I'm taking a trip there next summer to ride. The place just looks ridiculous.

awesome pics!

DROOLING HERE. Flippin sweet!!! Next year I definitely have to make plans to ride and paddle CB in one all out assault.

I need to get back there and pedal again. Hopefully this time with some sun and not rain.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Wow, that is really beautiful. That many flowers down there now? Great pictures and some great trails. Are you guys under constant threat of losing those trails, or are there only cool people down there that know what is good for them?
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

I'm not sure of the trail situation down here... I'm only down here part time. (for now) From the outside it definitely seems like they've got lots of support for trails, since one is being built right now and I heard plans for another sick one.

The flowers are out in bunches- but they're definitely still out which is surprising. I was here back in July and they were just starting out.

Hopefully the 401 is open to bikes forever. It might take a while, but I want to make a pilgrimage down there someday. It seems like about the coolest place to live as a mountain biker.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Yeah, the 401 is a very special trail- but quite honestly, just about every trail I've ridden is pretty damn special. You really can't go wrong here. Plan a trip down here in late July and you won't be sorry.

if you don't have someone to do it with, it's not worth doing

Thumbs up w00t!

cool tr. 403 -> 401 from town is one of my favorite big rides. ever.
    to all my friends, it's not the end
    the earth has not swallowed me yet

Quote Originally Posted by el_jefe View Post
    cool tr. 403 -> 401 from town is one of my favorite big rides. ever.
    its all about doubletop baby. By far the best ride in CB

Quote Originally Posted by backcountry1pr View Post
    its all about doubletop baby. By far the best ride in CB in 1995 before the motos fucked it all up
    fixed it for you.

^^Did ya kill that shit on the Curaca?^^
    Chocolate? This is doodoo, BABY!

Sadly, the curaca never rode CB. '95 would have been on the fully rigid Yokota Yosemite days. Actually a pretty decent bike...

nice. what kind of work are you doing for the ski area? you're in grad school, no?

Quote Originally Posted by tone capone View Post
    Are you guys under constant threat of losing those trails, or are there only cool people down there that know what is good for them?
    The Gunnison National Forest is currently undergoing a travel management plan. The vast majority of trails are proposed to stay open to bikes if they are already- including the Crest trail off Monarch.

The trails that are proposed to be closed are Lowline, Baxter Gulch to Green Lake, and Granite Basin/Echer Gulch. Of these Green Lake is the one that would probably be felt the most- the others are big rides that might be worth riding once or twice ever anyhow. If you care about any of these, make sure to comment on the Draft Plan which will be released this fall.

Quote Originally Posted by tone capone View Post
    Are you guys under constant threat of losing those trails, or are there only cool people down there that know what is good for them?
    The Gunnison National Forest is currently undergoing a travel management plan. The vast majority of trails are proposed to stay open to bikes if they are already- including the Crest trail off Monarch.

The trails that are proposed to be closed are Lowline, Baxter Gulch to Green Lake, and Granite Basin/Echer Gulch. Of these Green Lake is the one that would probably be felt the most- the others are big rides that might be worth riding once or twice ever anyhow. If you care about any of these, make sure to comment on the Draft Plan which will be released this fall.

Quote Originally Posted by spthomson View Post
    nice. what kind of work are you doing for the ski area? you're in grad school, no?
    Working in the marketing department- full time through the end of this week and then part time once I start back up in the MBA program at CU.

Quote Originally Posted by gunniride View Post

I hadn't heard that echer was under the gun. That's my favorite ride in the valley, by far. Does that mean baxter AND don cook AND green lake? I had heard that 413 was subject to closure, that trail is pretty kick-ass as well. Wrote the FS last summer, guess that's all I can do.

My girl & I will be in CB for a day or 2 next week, looking to hit the 401 & maybe another, suggestions or recommendations?
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."