Page 5 of 75 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    it has been a fantastic start of the season so far, even though bernie fucked both melbourne (bad light, stupid tire choices forced upon bridgestone) and malaysia (late in the afternoon, rain). and now the mclaren thing.

just one more way max and bernie are trying to fuck f1...

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by f2f View Post
    just one more way max and bernie are trying to fuck f1...
    The winner take all points scheme is the dumbest, bar none, dumbest idea for a race series ever. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    The winner take all points scheme is the dumbest, bar none, dumbest idea for a race series ever. Ever.
    i don't think they were serious. it was just a ploy to slip in the 30 million/team budgets caps (including driver salaries) unnoticed...

you have to give it to max, though: he survived the nazi hooker scandal and is still FIA's boss. quite the politician.

Formula 1 2009: Race To The Court Room

The amount of controversy this season is ridiculous...I love F1 but these things need to be settled on the track, not in front of some motorsports commission.

If the Malaysian GP started an hour earlier the rain wouldn't have hit so early and we could have had a complete race. The rain still would have arrived, but it would have been a thrilling end to the race instead of having to wait around 45 minutes to decide whether or not we'd continue.

Down with Bernie, down with the FIA, follow Mr. Legault's suggestion, and then move back to the great F1 tracks and/or new tracks in countries that actually care. Drop Valencia, Turkey, Hungary, bring back Canada and France if they get a good track, possibly the US too. The Jury is still out on Singapore and Abu Dhabi. I'd also like to see the Euro GP rotate between a bunch of tracks like Imola, Zandvoort, and perhaps the tracks that had their annual GPs cancelled.

http://www.f1sa.com/index.php?option...126&Itemid=219

An official of Formula One's governing body FIA on Thursday had a high speed crash at the wheel of a contemporary Grand Prix car.
    On the occasion of Renault's F1 'roadshow' event in Dubai, the United Arab Emirates' automobile club President Mohammed bin Sulayem, also FIA Vice President for sport, shunted last year's R28 single seater. On the main straight of the Dubai Autodrome, the car swung to the right under power and struck the concrete barrier, necessitating a visit for the 14 time Middle East rally champion to the medical centre. Earlier, bin Sulayem had successfully driven the car on a closed road.

"Fortunately he was uninjured and the car will be taken back to be repaired," said a Renault spokesman. In Dubai for the roadshow event is Fernando Alonso's team-mate Nelson Piquet.
    boy, i'm so glad Mohammed is OK! what would FIA do without its Vice President for Sport? mohammed comes from a long line of automotive enthusiasts hailing back at least a couple of years, when his dad first exchanged a camel for a ferrari.

/yes, i am bitter. how can you tell?

Just in case you haven't seen this.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/...tid10497901001

Maybe somebody can embed it for me.
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Science-fiction author Robert Heinlein

Hugh Conway Guest
    i don't think they were serious. it was just a ploy to slip in the 30 million/team budgets caps (including driver salaries) unnoticed...
    Why not make it a Nascar series and be done with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Why not make it a Nascar series and be done with it?
    they would if they could (stock engines just one example). ironically, the teams association (FOTA) was well on its way to 30 mil budget caps just on its own accord and everybody working together, but that was pre-diffusers.

Sounds like that court room was an 8 hour bitch fight yesterday.

Even so.... it will be interesting to watch the MM and Ferrari boys catch up the diffuser ground between Asia and Europe.
    Not around much these days.

oh the sweet irony:

The row over the diffusers has also led to intense confrontation between the rival factions - with Brawn GP team principal Ross Brawn being on the receiving end of attacks from Renault and Ferrari about his use of the diffuser concept.

However, he has stood firm in his belief that the design was legal – and confirmed recently that he offered rivals the chance to close off the regulations to prevent teams exploiting the diffuser designs, but they rejected the opportunity.

"In March 2008 that was offered," said Brawn, when asked by AUTOSPORT about the matter.

"If I'm frank I didn't say 'look we are going to do this diffuser if you don't accept this rule' because I'm not going to tell people what we're doing, but I explained that I felt that we should have a different set of rules to simplify what needs to be done.

"I offered them and they were rejected, so my conscience is very clear. And those rules that I put on the table would have stopped a lot of things. It would have stopped the diffuser, it would have stopped all those bargeboards around the front, and it would have cleaned the cars up.

"Because it was clear that when we started to work on the regulations that there were things that you could do, and we needed to perhaps clean them up, but nobody was interested. They are interested now."
    full article here: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/74475

Apparently Ron Dennis is to stand down from all McLaren F1 involvement? Press conference scheduled for soon.

Max extracting his pound of flesh for Ron's real or perceived involvement in NaziPervetgate? Either he quits or McLaren face ban?

Brawn/Toyota/Williams Difusers ruled legal. Interesting times
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Hugh Conway Guest
    This is not great news, entertainment fans.

China was so sweet, the driver I've been rooting for finally clinched it!

Things getting very silly in F1 politics.

Has Max gone too far this time?

Will a compromise of higher budget caps and single formula keep Ferrari, Toyota, RB and Renault on board?

What do they have hanging over Mclaren/Mercedes to keep them so quiet?

What about BMW? they're keeping very low profile in all this.

IMHO what's really going on is: Bernie/CVC Capital Partners are desperate to keep their hands on as much of the rights cash as they can. The teams have been clamoring for more. Injecting this scandal and then engineering a compromise where the teams have to spend less = the pressure to give them a bigger share is reduced.

The season is pretty shitty though. Regs and rulings are a farce. Kers a complete waste of time and money - likely ditched or just use a common system next year? Cars appear just dogs to drive, speeds creeping up.
    Last edited by PNWbrit; 05-14-2009 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    What do they have hanging over Mclaren/Mercedes to keep them so quiet?
    a suspended ban which they can lift if Mclaren "brings the sport into disrepute"...

this week's autosport has a very good article re: possibilities for a breakaway series (in short, they can just take over A1GP for $30 mil per manufacturing team)

as for BMW, Toyota slipped that in FOTA talks BMW had said they're on the same side.

About a month to Le Mans...

okbye
    TELL YOUR BOOBS TO QUIT STARING AT MY EYES!!!1!

Here, I'll help you out:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobody Famous View Post
    RENO SUPERMOTO

are: possibilities for a breakaway series (in short, they can just take over A1GP for $30 mil per manufacturing team)
    Want to imagine the politicking going on with the Automobile club de Monaco in advance of their Grand Prix and as a back ground to the FOTA/FIA meeting in London?

Having Monaco and Ferrari breaking away or even just both threatening to break away might be enough to topple Mosely?

A split would probably Leave FIA trying to promote their sanctioned and run A1GP or perhaps GP2 to which Bernie owns the TV rights to as some kind of lame F1lite. Maybe with the engine-less teams from Brawn, Force India, Williams as their big draw - although likely they'll just jump ship.

Ecclestone has created the problem of the traditional races, being unable to make money - British, French, German, Belgian, Italian, Canadian, Australian races have all been threatened/axed by him at various times. Obviously Indy wants to hold a race it can make money from and George family would love the revenge. All of a suddenth at looks like a damn good basis for a world Championship.

I don't think it will happen but when you think about it the teams can hold a lot of the cards and it's a big gamble for Mosely/Ecclestone to push this to the brink.

Quote Originally Posted by RaccoonFace View Post
    About a month to Le Mans...

okbye
    Last edited by PNWbrit; 05-15-2009 at 10:12 AM.

i'm waiting for the FOTA meeting rumours to start flying any moment, as they're supposedly still talking:

http://f1sa.com/

Luca di Montezemolo not at meeting due to death of father

Max and Bernie's chances just improved significantly.

So Bernie and Max might have won? Conceded on their two tier regulations proposal (did they ever really want that? Or was it a classic Mosely red herring?) and just tell the teams to go away and come up with a better cost cutting/capping solution.

They'll have to come up with something reasonably concrete - which will probably alllow the somewhat funded independant teams like Aston, Lola, F1US/Peter Windsor to afford in with some kind of engine supply quota or the previously proposed cosworth package - thus further diluting the manufacturers power. Reducing everyone's costs while sponsorship money dries up allows Bernie and CVC to keep as much of the FOM cash as they can.

This story rumbling along and making headlines in the run up to Monaco is classic Ecclestone, "no such thing as a bad scandal"
    Last edited by PNWbrit; 05-15-2009 at 04:22 PM.

fuck max & bernie. back to something else besides politics:

Even though it’s not really a modern F1 course or good for overtaking... it’s still the Monaco race weekend!

Nice to see the Iceman and Ferrari on the front row again!
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime