Page 54 of 75 FirstFirst ... 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 1871
    How Robert Kubica could return to Williams F1
    A chain of events could mean that Robert Kubica finally gets his chance to return to Formula 1

Carlos Sainz’s signing for McLaren as Fernando Alonso’s replacement for 2019 puts another piece in the driver market jigsaw. But we may be about to see some pieces being moved by the very next race at Spa, with Lance Stroll quite possibly switching to Force India and his place being taken at Williams by Robert Kubica. Central to all this is Toto Wolff’s assistance to his young driver Esteban Ocon – and that dynamic almost resulted in an even more complex switch around of seats in Hungary.
    Personally I think Williams may have to go for cash rather than class.. even more than before... now Stroll money has gone and Martini sponsorship is leaving..

But it would be great to see him back in a car.

There was an excellent recent podcast with Kubica on the official F1.com website (a number of others too.. Brundle, Villeneuve etc)
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Who would have thought in 2003 Williams would be in this state ? Would like to see Kubica get Grosjeans seat at HAAS

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Wickens one of the best young drivers in a while. Hope he’s ok. I can’t watch those crashes anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Wickens one of the best young drivers in a while. Hope he’s ok. I can’t watch those crashes anymore.
    Yep. Hope that Alonso will change his mind.

He seemed to enjoy and was the backbone of #8 Toyota's win today at Silverstone.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Crash looked much worse than the consequences. I think Indycar could have done a better job relaying info Wickens was awake and alert because it seemed like half an hour for them to confirm it. Then again I was on the golf course and wasn't paying 100% attn.

Alonso is well aware of the inherent risks of Indycar racing...especially compared to F1 which has been emasculated from a danger perspective compared to the glory years.

This crash was no different than 2016 when Aleshin went into the catch fence at Fontana. Alonso's only 500 was punctuated by Dixon's crash going out of the short chute of turn 1 at IMS.... this aint changing his mind pal. Alonso is a racer and racers have the balls to race on ovals in open wheeled cars.

formula 1 maggots

Honestly it’s getting barbaric to watch oval Indy races. It’s 2018.

Personally, I’ve been to a race where a driver was involved in a horrific crash and didn’t die, and very few details have been released since, but I’m pretty sure he is brain dead. Took a ton of my enthusiasm away from the sport. I gain no satisfaction from watching people get hurt when it is able to be preventable.

Indycar runs such low downforce that the cars can go flying and it forces drivers into more risk. I'm not sure there is a solution. I've been to Phoenix Indy and that is a rad race to watch. So fast..

I was at California race when Greg Moore died.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    Honestly it’s getting barbaric to watch oval Indy races. It’s 2018.

Personally, I’ve been to a race where a driver was involved in a horrific crash and didn’t die, and very few details have been released since, but I’m pretty sure he is brain dead. Took a ton of my enthusiasm away from the sport. I gain no satisfaction from watching people get hurt when it is able to be preventable.
    What race was that?

Indycar racing is not barbaric, its a ballsy sport , unlike F1. Every driver is aware of the inherent risks (just like big mtn/back country skiing re Avys) and the implication of danger is what makes these guys heroes.

Formula 1 has plenty of inverted crashes, unless youre suggesting banning open cockpit and open wheels, shit like this will continue to happen.

It would be cool if they’d only run an oval at Indy. I get that they can’t get away from that race.

But the cars are way, way too fast and low downforce for ovals. It’s too risky for fans, let alone drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Indycar runs such low downforce that the cars can go flying and it forces drivers into more risk. I'm not sure there is a solution. I've been to Phoenix Indy and that is a rad race to watch. So fast..

I was at California race when Greg Moore died.
    The downforce is lower this year and the oval racing has suffered.

The cars from 2002-2011 and then the DW 12 era cars had alot more downforce which created pack racing that killed Dan Wheldon.

I think the best win-win is to implement the aeroscreen that Newgarden has tested at Indy which will protect the drivers from the debris of a large crash but also any impact with the catch fence

It would be cool if they’d only run an oval at Indy. I get that they can’t get away from that race.

But the cars are way, way too fast and low downforce for ovals. It’s too risky for fans, let alone drivers.
    The cars are slower than the glory days of CART... if this was 2001 they would probably be doing 230 mph around Pocono

Norris to make Grand Prix weekend debut in Belgium

Lando Norris has impressed when testing for McLaren. Now the iconic team’s reserve driver will get his first taste of Grand Prix weekend action when he drives the orange car in place of the departing Fernando Alonso in Belgian Grand Prix first practice at Spa on Friday...

Edit: Red Bull announce Gasly
    Last edited by PNWbrit; 08-20-2018 at 01:27 PM.

Halo argument over now?

I actually think the halo's have nice lines on the cars this year. For who don't like the halo's, fuck off.

With all the safety advances in motor sports, to have open wheel cars with open cockpits is moronic.

^x2 and x2

Spa is a bad ass track, Bottas was an animal.

Alonso's crash wasn't that spectacular. I don't get why F1 has been trying to sell it so hard. Very pedestrian crash and the Halo is still gay.

It appears Felix Rosenquist, arguably the best young driver not in F1 or Indycar is inheriting the #`10 car at Ganassi, replacing Ed Jones. Very stoked for this, Felix IMO is a big time talent that can hang with the top dawgs in F1 and Indycar. It will be fun to watch him

Quote Originally Posted by SirHeady View Post
    I don't get why F1 has been trying to sell it so hard.

Because without the Halo Leclerc would likely be dead... or very seriously injured.

I'm sorry you feel deprived from watching that on your TV.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Because without the Halo Leclerc would likely be dead... or very seriously injured.

I'm sorry you feel deprived from watching that on your TV.

No he wouldn't. Get back to me when you know what you are talking about.

pure moronic speculation

Even Leclerc who admitted to not being a fan of them, despite his lifelong friendship with Jules Bianchi, said he was glad it was there.

Mark it down now as probably two lives saved this season with the previous F2 incident.

formula 1 maggots

Wow hyperbole much. So are you saying without the halo F1 would have had two fatal crashes in 2018??? Lmao

The current watered down bastardized version of F1 is soft .. like charmin ultra.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

formula 1 maggots

You’re either a troll or you enjoy watching the deliberately heightened possibility of someone getting hurt at your entertainment expense, then.

I've lived through the deaths of favorite drivers I grew up watching like Dan Wheldon, Greg Moore, and Scott Brayton.

However, after hearing the perspective of my father and grandfather who have been Open Wheel Racing fans for their entire lives, you realize that racing will never be 100% safe and if it were completely sterile in that regard no one would watch.

Drivers like Senna, Schumacher, Zanardi, Dario, Foyt, Mario, JR Rutherford, Dan Gurney all reached mythic status because they risked it all knowing the full dangers of the endeavor they competed in.

No one wants to see anyone die, but you can't emasculate the intrinsic nature of open wheel racing that makes people care and feel passion and that is the implication that these modern day gladiators could be gone in any instant.

Thats not to say we should eschew safety innovations like the SAFER barrier, Hans Device, etc. Those don't tarnish the heritage of open cockpit, open wheel racing. The Halo Does. The proposed Indycar AeroScreen does not. F1 should have spent more time refining the aeroscreen outside of a few half assed test sessions with Red Bull and Ferrari. It respects the heritage of the sport.

You’re either a troll or you enjoy watching the deliberately heightened possibility of someone getting hurt at your entertainment expense, then.
    ^ This.

I've put him on ignore.

Edit: Just saw that Martin Brundle, who I presume knows what he is talking about, wrote this in his sky column today

I have not been a fan of the halo because I don't like what it stands for in the gladiatorial nature of being an F1 driver, what might be next, and how it looks. I remain concerned that it could still deflect cars and parts towards the driver in some circumstances, and affect driver egress in a big shunt.

I've twice worn an F1 car on my head flying in from behind courtesy of Patrick Tambay at Monaco in 1986, and Jos Verstappen at Interlagos in 1994, and so I have some first-hand experience of this. Looking at the footage and stills I'm not convinced that the Halo saved Charles Leclerc's life but it sure as hell didn't do any harm, and may have saved serious injury if the angles were slightly different. Pre-halo the rollover bar and cockpit sides have done a pretty good job too in these circumstances.

Just as when we lost Jules Bianchi I would have been as distraught as anybody if we lost Charles, so I guess I'm going to have to change my mind on the halo.

Last edited by PNWbrit; 08-28-2018 at 05:21 PM.