Page 2 of 75 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    the 6.7km/h slower speed through the start-final is significant. even in the slipstream it is very hard to pass with that significant a disadvantage. kimi must've braked really hard and early for the hairpin. perhaps the weaving in front of hamilton also contributed.

MONZA

"It's the best day of my life," said Vettel. "
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

more rain. blah. it seems like it's rained on every race this summer. i don't mind a wet track on a crappy street course like monaco. it can make a usually uneventful race kind of interesting. but at a super speedway like monzo things gets very boring under wet conditions. i thought for sure hamilton was going to somehow work his way up to a podium spot. that kid absolutely rips in the rain.

Vettle. Awesome. Just awesome.

I thought that was a pretty good race. Hamilton drove the piss out of that car in the first stint and Vettel and STR really brought their game today.

Vettel could be damn good. Hopefully the RBR car next year is up to the challenge.

ricardo patrese drives his wife around Jerez in a Honda Type R. I don't think translation is really necessary. The fun starts around 2:20:

singapore is beautiful. the lighting, the cars, the setting, the reflections. a bit too pretty, perhaps. reminds me of a computer game.

amazing setting, amazing conditions. unfortunately nothing to do with racing and much more to do with advertising.

Quote Originally Posted by f2f View Post
    ricardo patrese drives his wife around Jerez in a Honda Type R. I don't think translation is really necessary. The fun starts around 2:20:

What a great clip. It's amazing to see a F1 driver's calm and composure while taking a car to its limit. His head doesn't even move! Patrese looks like he is super fit still. I wonder how far off the current drivers he would be if given the chance for some hot laps in a current car. That would be a cool thing for a show like Top Gear to do.

Psyched about the night race!

fun race, massa with the fuel hose, too funny

No more F1 in North America next year, Montreal dropped....well that sucks.

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2008/...s-f1-calendar/
    To the Thingmajigger!

why the fuck is it on at 1:00 AM ? WTF ?
    I understand the time difference but replay it at a normal hour
    not that I won't stay up to watch

Japanese Grand Prix, Practice Friday 1:00 AM054 SPEED
    Friday 1:00 AM250 SPEED
    Japanese Grand Prix, Qualifying Saturday 1:00 AM054 SPEED
    Saturday 1:00 AM250 SPEED
    Saturday 10:30 PM054 SPEED
    Saturday 10:30 PM250 SPEED
    Japanese Grand Prix Sunday 12:00 AM054 SPEED
    Sunday 12:00 AM250 SPEED
    Sunday 4:30 PM054 SPEED
    Sunday 4:30 PM250 SPEED

Quote Originally Posted by milton View Post
    No more F1 in North America next year, Montreal dropped....well that sucks.

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2008/...s-f1-calendar/
    I'm shocked really. It is a tremendously successful Grand Prix, on a real racetrack. Yes, it does need to be resurfaced, and yes it should have been done a couple years ago, but there wasn't even a reason given on why this was dropped. It seems like it has to be a safety issue because they had a contract to the end of 2011 if I'm not mistaken. I hope they figure out a way to get it back, North America needs a Grand Prix (I can't believe the manufacturers aren't more pissed at this announcement) and Montréal is the best city to have it in.

I just thank god I sacked up and made the trip this year after 3 or 4 years of saying I would. One of the best weekends of the Summer for sure.

i missed it this year after missing on the last year of indianapolis too

damn bernie's greed. he will be the end of this sport, i tells ya!

Kubica had a pretty nasty one last year....

They did make some changes as a result, and spent 4.5 million in other improvements. Guess it wasn't enough.
    To the Thingmajigger!

Quote Originally Posted by wren View Post
    It seems like it has to be a safety issue because they had a contract to the end of 2011 if I'm not mistaken.
    Nope, it's about the money. The local promoters are struggling to make money, exchange rate fluctuations and the fact they still can't share shipping costs with a U.S. gp.

They've asked Bernie for help and he has told them to fuck themselves.

Having your date removed from the projected calender is his goto negotiation tactic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

bump cuz i missed most of the race last night, in and out of a drunken slumber. Wife came in the living room about 2:30 am at the end of the race and I'm laid out snoring as she smacks my foot awake and bitches about how expensive the big plasma tv is to have on....
    but Honey, I was watching the RACE !

finally watched that ricardo patrese video, awesome.
    my wife is brasilian/italian, kinda the same deal, she's a tough cookie

replay at 4:30 today. no spoiler, gonna pretend i don't remember who won.
    iT WASN'T HAMILTON or mASSA

Who knew so many Mags shared an interest in F1?

Am I the only one put to sleep by this season? I love racing; I've been in karts and cars, bikes, you name it, since the age of 5. But without Schumi's dominating middle stints, F1 just doesn't hold the aura for me as much as in the past (that said I still watch every race religiously).

Am I the only one who remembers all of those drives from 01'-04' where he just left everyone for dead after the first stops? On the 3 laps preceding his stop it just looked like the car was dancing on one tire he was pushing so hard. Incredible stuff.

Until they sort out the street circuit under the lights in Vegas NA will stay off the schedule.

Hayai Kuruma (Fast Car)

still fun to watch, massa stuffing hamilton = sweet

Last edited by willywhit; 10-12-2008 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by willywhit View Post
    massa stuffing hamilton = sweet
    bourdais stuffing massa = karma.

Quote Originally Posted by gisforgaper View Post
    But without Schumi's dominating middle stints, F1 just doesn't hold the aura for me as much as in the past (that said I still watch every race religiously).

Am I the only one who remembers all of those drives from 01'-04' where he just left everyone for dead after the first stops? On the 3 laps preceding his stop it just looked like the car was dancing on one tire he was pushing so hard. Incredible stuff.
    so, you prefer one guy dominating the whole field and everybody else fighting for the scraps to an actual race where more than one person is on par? they have a word for that: it's called a "procession". schumacher was the best by virtue of nobody else being on par, not by virtue of him being that much better (for a 7-time champion he did make a wee bit too many mistakes).

without schumacher F1 has been much more interesting, thrilling and amazing, even if the governing body still tries to favour ferrari too much. there have been more winners, less races (and championships) decided halfway through and certainly more passing.

for me the schumacher era is the one that was boring. he'll never be matched against the greats in other terms than pure statistics. he won the most, he lead the most, he crashed into his title rivals the most. he'll never be considered as passionate as senna, never as calculated as prost. he'll never win 42% of all the races he competed with as fangio did. even stirling moss, without having won a single title, will be considered on par with schumacher in motorsport history because he won (and lost) against the great fangio.

you want to know about F1 greats? go read "Chasing the Title" by Nigel Roebuck.

Quote Originally Posted by gisforgaper View Post
    Who knew so many Mags shared an interest in F1?

Am I the only one put to sleep by this season? I love racing; I've been in karts and cars, bikes, you name it, since the age of 5. But without Schumi's dominating middle stints, F1 just doesn't hold the aura for me as much as in the past (that said I still watch every race religiously).

This season has had some of the most exciting races I can ever recall, and it has led to a massively exciting season as a whole. I don't see the allure of watching a 'race' where one guy simply dominates. I prefer to see actual 'racing.'
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

Quote Originally Posted by f2f View Post
    bourdais stuffing massa = karma.
    agreed, were both incidents a 'centerpunch" ?

Quote Originally Posted by willywhit View Post
    agreed, were both incidents a 'centerpunch" ?
    i don't know if i get you correctly, but for their own good, i hope none of those were intentional. the last two races will be even more thrilling now that both sides have been convicted of "dirty tactics": hamilton v kimi and massa v hamilton respectively.

i was in the mountains for two days so i am just catching up with the stuff after watching the recorded race. if there have been any further developments post-race i don't know about them yet.

Great to see Alonso so strong again, this year has really demonstrated his value to a team, I don't think anybody else out there could have helped turn that shopping cart of a Renault into a race winner again. Also considering that the Renault engine is significantly underpowered compared to most (very evident in the speed of STR - ferrari vs. Red Bull - Renault).

Hopefully Massa can get his shit together for these last 2 races, and maybe Alonso can help Felipe and stick it to Hamilton by splitting them.

2009 has potential to be a tight 4 headed race: - Ferrari will always be strong, having the best engine/car on many tracks, but the team has made some dumbass mistakes with the absence of Jean Todt, and the loss of Ross Brawn's development input may become more evident over time. Massa and Kimi are also inconsistent and make some dumb mistakes.
    - Mclaren has the best car on many other tracks, but Hamilton also has stupid fuckups at the worst times. Even when Hamilton is dominant, his teammate normally isn't up with him to help expand the advantage.
    - BMW has been focusing primarily on 09' for months now, while Mclaren and Ferrari have devoted most resources to this years scrap (After last night Kubica is right back in there, makes you wonder what could have happened if BMW kept focusing on 08). Kubica is fast and consistent, the team is working to make the car suit Heidfeld better too. They still might not win races on pace, but they will avoid big fuckups enough to collect consistent podiums and occasional wins.
    - Renault is looking championship calibre again, and they have the best driver (his teammate will need to step it up, though Fisi wasn't exactly next to him on the podium in 05 and 06). I don't know what's up with the engine freeze, but if they can find some more horsepower Renault could be right in the mix. The change to slick tires should also favour Renault, since Alonso's natural skills will show, while Hamilton/Massa's fuckups may become even more frequent.

I can't wait for next week, I love being able to stay up for these asian races.