October Surf Destinations

I'm hoping to go on a 3 week trip to Central / South America in October and get in some surfing or diving. Any suggestions? I only have ~10 days on a board behind me so any surf camps or surfaris type suggestions would be cool. I'm not looking for triple overheads or angry locals to battle with....just nice swells for a beginner to get some more ups on.

I think I've decided I want to go to Peru...any suggestions for the Lima area?

Never been there but always wanted to, be sure and post a TR.

It's an okay movie but it covers several areas in Peru and might be worth checking out.
    God created skis and surfboards to keep the truly gifted from ruling the world.

peru is an amazing country for surf. the time you are going is a little late in the south swell season but may still be good. if no south swell the "north shore" (northern peru) picks up winter swells from the north pac but is far from lima. there are some amazing spots up there though, if you have the opportunity - go check it out though.

Quote Originally Posted by Chook View Post
    I think I've decided I want to go to Peru...any suggestions for the Lima area?
    yes - try to get as far away as possible. better waves and fewer people.

not sure how peru might be in october but in july/aug when the south swells crank it rocks. rent a car and drive up to trujillo, pacasmayo, and chicama (longest wave in the world). if there are no waves jet up to macchu piccu. one of the coolest places i've ever been.

Sounds like it's worth checking out the North. I'm a beginner, and traveling solo, so I'm not going to be hunting the biggest swells but I'll definitely see if I can connect with a surf camp or something that travels up the coast. I'm still not confident enough to charge waves on my own unless I know there aren't any strange rips or currents.

if you go south, far south to chile, check out this surf camp. http://www.geocities.com/iqqsurfcamp/camp.html
    run by miguel, one of the coolest cats you will ever meet. otherwise, if you go north, his cousin otto runs Duke's Surf Hotel in pacasmayo. also, if you go north, for a non surf diversion, go to cajamarca. cool old world city with hot springs/baths.

Thanks guys! Flights are booked...I'm down there from Oct. 10 - Nov. 1 so basically 3 weeks to play with. One week will be for Cuzco and Machu Piccu, but the other 2 weeks will be pretty free range so I may try to get up to the Trujillo area.