The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!

Colleges Prolong Childhood

According to this guy's opinion.

"Once upon a time college was a halfway house for practicing how to be a grown-up."

Discuss...
    Last edited by Nobody Famous; 08-20-2008 at 11:24 AM.

someone call NASA and get that guys a job- he's a fucking genius.
    No Roger, No Rerun, No Rent

Hugh Conway Guest
    that same nurturing all encompassing environment where you work a shitload is mimiced in some of America's most successful companies (see: Microsoft, Google)

the independent self sufficient graduate is wanted by neither the corporations nor society

The light workload alone can make college today a joke.
    wtf, I know I've been out for 10 years, but I sure didn't have a light workload. I think I had like two electives out of four years of computer science (not counting the four gym classes incl. mountain biking). Everything else was math that made my brain hurt.

honestly, college is different things to different people. some see it as a means to an end, like a glorified trade school, some see it as and end in and of itself, where what is learned can be applied in myriad ways.

Others see it as watching the Price is Right every day baked out of your gourd for 4 years. nothing wrong w/that

This guy is so full of shit it isn't even funny, at least in the context of a large, state university. It's people like him, and not the system itself that devalues higher education in America.

i haven't even read the thing

I actually agree w/ the guy as far as some schools go. I did more growing up in boarding school than I did in college. DEFINITELY studied more.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by 365wp View Post
    I sure didn't have a light workload ... the four gym classes incl. mountain biking)
    You got credit for hobbies? Yeah, I'm sure you were straining under your immense efforts.

edg
    Do you realize that you've just posted an admission of ignorance so breathtaking that it disqualifies you from commenting on any political or economic threads from here on out?

Maybe it was just my experience, but I've always described college as five and a half years of summer camp... with drugs and sex.

Quote Originally Posted by edg View Post
    You got credit for hobbies? Yeah, I'm sure you were straining under your immense efforts.

edg
    Yup. At my college you could get a credit for just about anything. Want to quit smoking get one of the two required Health credits. Want to go "learn" how to ski get one of the two required gym credits.

Myself I got credits for playing a few ROTC games and karate. My buddy got one for golf and another got one for rollerskating (not rollerblading).

College for me was a time to let loose. No organized sports, no parents bugging me, and plenty of alcohol. I always figured as long as my grades were decent (B average) and my bills were paid the rest of the time was mine and much of it was spent drinking. While I was somewhat responsible as far as grades and bills go I certainly didn't grow up.

I waited until I got my first permanent professional job before I grew up.

There is some truth to the article, and some bullshit as well.

College has become much easier to get through in terms of dealing with professors. Even in my 4 years at SLU I watched the hardass professors fall to the wayside of the new, hip, younger professors who never said you were wrong, but rather interesting.

However, other than that college still provides to many the venue in which to grow up, whether it be in a booze driven haze or otherwise. For most, its the first time spent living on their own, which teaches alot more than most give credit for. No mom or dad to wake you up in the morning, do laundry, make dinner, etc. Bills need to be paid, deadlines met on your own accord.

I know tons of people, and Im sure everyone else knows people as well, that couldnt hack it. They either failed out, or quit. But either way, a college degree shows that someone can commit to 4 years and 1000+ hours (take the 14 hour statement and multiply it out over 8 semesters) and come out sucessful on their own. That shows alot.
    Live Free or Die

The author, Charles Murray, writes for the American Enterprise Institute (AEI), a right wing think tank that has never held a fond spot for higher education of the masses. Murray is also the author of the Bell Curve, a controversial book that many have called racist. AEI has been one of the architects of GWB's public policy. Lynn Cheney is a senior fellow of AEI.
    Last edited by cloudpeak; 08-20-2008 at 05:42 PM.
    Keep it off my wave...Soundgarden

"Dumbed-down courses, flaky majors and grade inflation have conspired to make the letters B.A. close to meaningless."
    Damn I wish UBC was like this... no dumbed-down courses for me, and no grade inflation. We have to bust our balls for grades, and they still hate to give A's, let alone B's in some classes.
    He makes some good points about kids being lazy and unmotivated, and this is true since some kids do show up and skate through doing jack-shit. My schedule is going to be packed this fall term with not only classes, but clubs, newspaper, work, etc.
    It'll be interesting to work Whistler into the fold this winter, but luckily I've put a lighter load 2nd term.

Lazy People summary: University is what one makes of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Keegan View Post
    "Dumbed-down courses, flaky majors and grade inflation have conspired to make the letters B.A. close to meaningless."
    Damn I wish UBC was like this... no dumbed-down courses for me, and no grade inflation. We have to bust our balls for grades, and they still hate to give A's, let alone B's in some classes.
    He makes some good points about kids being lazy and unmotivated, and this is true since some kids do show up and skate through doing jack-shit. My schedule is going to be packed this fall term with not only classes, but clubs, newspaper, work, etc.
    It'll be interesting to work Whistler into the fold this winter, but luckily I've put a lighter load 2nd term.

Lazy People summary: University is what one makes of it.
    He's writing about American colleges...the kind that offer for gym courses.

Seriously, gym class in college? wtf?
    "Active management in bear markets tends to outperform. Unfortunately, investors are not as elated with relative returns when they are negative. But it does support the argument that active management adds value." -- independent fund analyst Peter Loach

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Huckable View Post

hehe, i took billiards for one credit towards my major, I really learned alot! seriously though

didn't read what the guy wrote

but i know that if they all are like where I went to college, they sure as hell prolong infancy.

list of things random things that occurred due to the mormon influenced douche administration.

1. during orientation, a gathering tree that looks like a "salad fork" for those who get lost, naturally. Furthermore the name game and finished all of with "cinnamon roll hug". Hell I tell you... 3 days...

2. tolerance and date rape meetings for awareness, as if someone assumed I needed that, thanks

3. ahhh, good old alcohol class, man I wish I had the results for the tests I had in there, pretty much ready for a wall placard.

edit fixing what the reefer fucked up
    Last edited by Skijunkie; 08-20-2008 at 11:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudpeak View Post
    The author, Charles Murray, writes for the American Enterprise Institute (AEI), a right wing think tank that has never held a fond spot for higher education of the masses. Murray is also the author of the Bell Curve, a controversial book that many have called racist. AEI has been one of the architects of GWB's public policy. Lynn Cheney is a senior fellow of AEI.
    I'll bet he was Mr. Party Boy back at 18YR OLD Curmudgeon U.

"Dean Wormer, Dean Wormer, they're.....doing...it again!

depends a lot on the major too. I think psych and buisiness majors have a nice summer camp like experience. Engineering and Architecture, not so much

AKA is offline These meaasge boards suck
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Huckable View Post

We were required to take "physical education" classes at my school, apparently it was something they had to agree to so the gubment would give them a shit ton of money to build an athletic center.

Man I wish we had gym classes lol.