Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cool TR: Grizzly Couloir 6.24.04

TR: Grizzly Couloir 6.24.04
    Duph & iskibc
    1,400 ft. vert

Addiction: [n] an abnormally strong craving
    [n] being abnormally tolerant to and dependent on something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming (especially alcohol or narcotic drugs edit: or tempting ski lines)

The North chutes of Torrey’s were a great treat indeed, but for part of the day I couldn’t help but continuously glance over to the next peak and gawk at this one line that was calling my name in silence. I swear it was the wind making odd noises or maybe the voices in my deranged head saying, “Go ahead, ski that line, it’ll take you in the end”. That long and thin sliver of snow etched in between gargantuan walls of rock was so appealing to the eye that I couldn’t help but crave it more and more. Maybe it’s just because I have too much time on my hands and all I think about are potential ski lines and whether or not I’m going to make it through another day? Maybe it was the crappy breakfast burrito I had on the drive up to Torrey’s that morning, or maybe it was the dirt cheap beer I drank the night before, but my mind was wandering in never-ending circles throughout the day and night about that one line. What was so special about it? I don’t know. I have an abnormal tolerance for skiing. I have nothing better to do on a Thursday morning. My mind is thinking too much because I am not working and the “honey do” list has been checked off since June 5th. Whatever it is, or was, I had to get that strong craving out of my system before my head exploded with voices, “tolerance”, “dependence”, and “cravings”! Am I going crazy? My wife thinks so (well, actually she thought that the second date we went on when I brought her to the Trailhead Tavern in Fort Collins for some cheap beer and wings. Anyway, this line had to go down and I had my mind set on it. Plain and simple. Was it too narrow? Could you fit a ski in that dime slot? Was there a way over, around, or through that nasty cornice? Would duph’s ’86 Bronco make it up that bastardo of a jeep trail one more time? Who knows? There was only one way to find out, and that was to go for it and not look back. Ok, I’m making it more than what it is, apologize for the babbling. No more blather about the inner voices or my second date with my wife. Do you guys care? Probably not, but again, I’m on a 2.5 month vacation with nothing better to do. Ok, on with the TR………..

Smile

Met up with Duph at the Bakerville exit parking lot at 6 AM. Bumpy, mud bogged, deer in the avy path, huge boulders his Bronco barely makes it over, stump infested, creek crossing, and 2.3 miles of nasty jeep trail. Broken record? Yes. Forged over it just 40-some odd hours ago. Good times. We hiked up the rest of the trail for a good 1.5 miles to the base of the couloir. Got a great view of the entire run and it looked good to go.

Smooth snow for the majority of the way down, minus the last run out section which had been baked in the sun for numerous days on end. It looked like we would at least be able to get a little more than a ski lengths in the tightest section of the couloir. Good sign. Instead of hiking right up the gut we decided to take an alternate route and climb up the lower section of the saddle. The first 1/3rd of the climb was simple. We boot packed up a section of snow and climbed over some well fixed rocks. The last 2/3rds were a little more complicated due to more complicated climbing over rocks and rotten snow.

We made the summit of Grizzly by 9:30 AM and had plenty of time to spare. Not many clouds in sight and cool temps. We checked out the entrance to the couloir and made our final decision that it was a go. The tightest choke was near the top and was doable with tight jump turns and patience. The couloir sits a couple hundred feet below the actual summit, so we continued to climb and ate lunch at the top. After scoping out some possible entrance points we decided it was time to make a go at the run.

Duph dropped in first and made some nice tight turns down the steepest section of the run. With not much room for error he skied the line clean.

Duph:

The anticipation at it's end:

I entered the couloir and followed the same line as duph. Great rush, smooth snow and a nice and steep pitch. Not much room for error considering the line was narrow and a fall would dump you into the walls. After several turns we came to the narrow choke. More tight turns and a quick straight-line into the wider section brought a nice relief.

First turns:

Last edited by iskibc; 06-24-2004 at 10:57 PM.

Smile

Negotiating the choke:

Duph looking down:

The hard part is over.

Duph making more turns:

Duph found a little side slot off the couloir about halfway down and decided to give it a try.

We skied down the apron and traversed over to another snowfield that brought us to the creek. A 20 minute hike back down to the Bronco, another 25 minute hike back up the trail to grab the glove I dropped along the way and it was beer time. This time around Winter went down to the cooler and brought us back some cold Old Styles:

With plenty of time to spare we wasted away the rest of the afternoon in a meadow enjoying the scenery. Yet another good ski trip. We drove back down the bumpy, mud bogged, deer in the avy path, huge boulders duph’s Bronco barely makes it over, stump infested, creek crossing, 2.3 miles of nasty jeep trail and called it a day. Addiction? I don’t know, but probably ‘Yes’. Looking back:

Last edited by iskibc; 06-24-2004 at 10:58 PM.

Thumbs up

Sweet!!!! Great pics, too.

Ahh yeah, the CO boys are slaying em!

JEez, you are a sick sick dude. Can't wait to rip it up with y'all, the day is coming. By the way, Trailhead Monday night
    When you gonna get dem' Duke Boys!?!?

Thumbs up

Originally posted by iskibc

Man, that looks like it's just getting nadgery there.

I'm gonna go get after it next week (when I have time off)
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

You guys are making me very very jealous. Fantastic work! The season keeps on going.

Narrow is right!

Winter is a good dog.

Amazing pictures, and a great report!

Sprite
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

North of South, South of North, West of East

Thumbs up Re: TR: Grizzly Couloir 6.24.04

Addiction: [n] an abnormally strong craving
    [n] being abnormally tolerant to and dependent on something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming (especially alcohol or narcotic drugs edit: or tempting ski lines)
    Best TR I've seen in a while!
    There is something about looking at that line that just draws me into this pic. Nice!
    I should probably change my username to IReallyDon'tTeleMuchAnymoreDave.

Thumbs up

Grat stoke fellas.

My fave. You get a good perspective of the gradient.
    Very jealous.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by iskibc
    [B]Negotiating the choke:

Here's my view right now, total shite n'est pas?:

Last edited by Hayduke; 06-25-2004 at 07:31 AM.

Damn!!! I can't figure out if your TR's are making my June better, or worse through jealousy.

Either way, way to get motivated and get after it.

Thumbs up

W-O-W.
    That line is disgustingly narrow! Way to get it!!!

This time around Winter went down to the cooler and brought us back some cold Old Styles:

Ah... Winter... That dog might be the thing I miss most about Colorado, with her, uh... nevermind.

Very cool. I don't know where you guys get the energy to do it every day!
    Fighting foot fungus one public bath house at a time!

My site

nice line.
    if its got tits or wheels...it will give you trouble..

Thumbs up

Another job well planned and executed, but I think I speak for most of us when I ask... Do you guys work?

Thumbs up

fkna man, fkna

Talking

Originally posted by Ireallyliketoski
    Do you guys work?
    No.

epic man...epic

I hate summer.
    Nice lines.
    Wrecker of dreams.

Nice, that slanted fall line at the top looked pretty crazy.

neat
    i wonder if this recent rain gained snow up thar
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

yessss