Thread: WA surf Beta?

WA surf Beta?

I've tried searching but haven't had a whole lot of luck so here goes.

I'm thinking about going out to La Push for a Labor Day weekend surf/camping trip. In the past every time that I've tried to camp on the coast I've been chased away by evil rangers because I didn't want to camp on a piece of asphalt in a "campground". Is beach camping allowed/easy at La Push? Any advice about good places to camp close to the surf? Anybody else going to be out that way over labor day weekend?

I go to hobuck camp ground on the Makaw sp? rez. for kayak surf. but the waves are almost alwise small.

http://www.surf-forecast.com/breaks/Hobuck.1to3.shtml

is the report but you can cut that in half for the hobuck beach. the up shot is camping just off the beach. the rez. is dry so bring your own beer. There is a guy that sells killer somked salmon in town.

Other than that it sounds like every one goes to westport.

Yep, you can camp on the beach at La Push. Just have to pay a small fee to the tribe at the local beer mart. If you want more solitude hike in to first, second, or third beach back down the road in Oly National Park. Definitely recommend La Push or Neah Bay over Westport for camping and scenery.

i've never hiked all the way to Third Beach before, but at Second Beach pay attention to where the rocks are before you just grab your board and paddle out...Its been a few years since I was there, but I remember seeing some sizable, barely covered rocks when the tide isn't all the way in that would badly gouge a board or snap a fin.

....I think I got the names of the beaches right....First Beach is right in front of the resort in LaPush, Second Beach is maybe a mile hike, Third Beach is the furthest south and longest hike...someone correct me if i'm wrong.

I plan to surf/camp out by Neah bay this weekend. Anyone interested?

I was talking with a buddy about it...we might be headed out saturday into sunday. Possibly camping out at shi shi though

Have fun out there. Friends of mine where talking about going to Westport on Sunday. Other than Saturday morning, I'll be stuck in the city.

I switched to Westport for the day. PM me if anyone wants a ride out there.

Hugh Conway Guest
    which day?

Saturday

did any of you surf this weekend? How did it turn out?

i was at westport on sunday morning.... the jetty looked impressive, maybe head-high (i'm not a very good judge) and a slight offshore was making 'em look hollower than usual out there. tried and failed miserably to get outside... my 7'-8" egg is too floaty to duckdive and the jetty rip was providing access to the outside but you still had to punch through a lot of whitewater...looks like those with the skills were having a great time out there. saw a fella walking back to the beach along the top of the jetty rocks carrying the back half of his snapped board.

i settled on joining the other small wave fans at the groins...nice waist high waves, got a couple rides and then left...way too crowded for my liking.

...a little off topic, but does anyone have a recommendation on what to look for as a first shortboard...i've been surfing for four years, i still suck, but i think its time i get something that i can actually duckdive...i'm about 170lbs...dont' have a clue what shape/size to be looking for in the used board racks and craigslist....

Big hunk of swell coming our way this weekend, barring some terrible winds the cove should come to grunty powerfull life. Anybody else heading out?

Altasnob, I have a 6'8" al merrick m13 I'm looking to send off, its an excellent transition to shortboards pm me if your interested

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Buke View Post
    did any of you surf this weekend? How did it turn out?
    We went to Westport Saturday and got some pretty clean waist high waves at the Groins before the incoming tide totally killed it.

Went to the Jetty after that and it was bigger (4-6?) and a lot more chaotic. Saw a dude flail then try and swim in against the jetty rip before he bailed and walked it in...the good surfers wee getting some long rides though.

Might be big enough Saturday to be working out in the strait -
    Last edited by rehabit; 10-21-2008 at 12:31 AM.