pedal remove tips?

I'm dismantling my road bike and packing it to fly to VT tomorrow night for a vacation, and I can't for the life of me get the pedals off. They're Crank Brothers Quattro pedals, requiring a large allen to unscrew (and I know one of them is reverse threaded. I put grease on them when they went on, and they've been on the bike for a two years now? But, shit, I just can't seem to get them to come loose. Anyone out there with tips on removing them? I'm coming down to the wire, and need to get the pedals off to fit the bike into the carrier.

Use some penetrating oil like pb blastoid and get something like an old handlebar or pipe, ski pole to use as a cheater bar to increase the torque on the allen wrench

Quote Originally Posted by 3pin View Post
    I'm dismantling my road bike and packing it to fly to VT tomorrow night for a vacation, and I can't for the life of me get the pedals off. They're Crank Brothers Quattro pedals, requiring a large allen to unscrew (and I know one of them is reverse threaded. I put grease on them when they went on, and they've been on the bike for a two years now? But, shit, I just can't seem to get them to come loose. Anyone out there with tips on removing them? I'm coming down to the wire, and need to get the pedals off to fit the bike into the carrier.
    15 mm wrench on the pedal side of the crank arm not alittle tiny allen wrench on the inbroad side ofthe crank.

If that doesnt work find another wrench or a pipe and get leverage on that sucker.

Above is all good advice. Also, the left side is usually the reverse-threaded one (unless I'm being dyslexic today). And don't crossthread when you put them back on! Be gentle.

Use some penetrating oil like pb blastoid and get something like an old handlebar or pipe, ski pole to use as a cheater bar to increase the torque on the allen wrench

there is no way to use a normal pedal wrench on them?
    ‎Preserving farness, nearness presences nearness in nearing that farness

When installing or removing pedals just remember that BOTH pedals will thread:

"ON TOWARDS THE FRONT, OFF TO THE BACK".

Or the shortened version: "BACK- OFF"

And yea.......use the handlebar/pipe. If you don't have a bike repair stand, then see if someone else can put their foot on the oposite pedal for resistance, while you use the pipe method on the other pedal.
    Last edited by 1wsguy; 08-15-2008 at 07:58 AM.
    The coefficent of desireability is inversly proportionate to the degree of availability.

I would suggest imbibing beers with higher alcohol content and increased swearing. This is a fool proof method of either achieving the desired outcome or breaking something but at least you will achieve a result.

Oh yea, and a cheater bar. Impact wrench (hand or powered) might do the trick too but I'd be careful with this method.

Quote Originally Posted by skunkty14 View Post

Oh yea, and a cheater bar. Impact wrench (hand or powered) might do the trick too but I'd be careful with this method.

Exactly HOW would you go about using an impact wrench in this case? hmmm? I'm especially curious as to how you would use a hand impact wrench - that would be interesting to say the least...

Now for something relatively constructive:

Ok to use an anti seize compound on pedals when installing?
    "Those 1%ers are not an avaricious "them" but in reality the most entrepreneurial of "us". If we had more of them and fewer grandstanding politicians, we would all be better off."
    - Bradley Schiller, Prof. of Economics, Univ. Nevada - Reno.

Quote Originally Posted by nick > jesus View Post
    there is no way to use a normal pedal wrench on them?
    The Quattro is only removable with an allen wrech - kinda sucks. Bad design. I scratched my head a little when I put mine on and was wondering "what if"...

I usually take my pedals off and re-grease them at least once a year so they don't seize up. When I put them on, I just get them a tad beyond "hand tight". I always cringe when I watch people put them on and torque them...
    Last edited by axebiker; 08-15-2008 at 07:34 AM.

Left side is reversed
    "At least if the species has lost it's animal strength, individual members can have the fun of finding it again..."
    -T & R Russell On The Loose

You take them off like you are pulling a slot machine from behind the bike... the whole back-off thing.

And yeah, its allen wrench only. You can either use a cheater bar or go to the store and get a longer wrench.

Another thing... line up the crank so that when you push down it rotates in a direction that is conducive to taking the bolt out. There is no set place, but a bunch of combination's. If you are trying to hold the crank by hand and turn the wrench you'll never get enough force. If you push on the wrench and it turns the crank... position the wrench 180 degrees from where it is.
    [/shitty explanation]

Quote Originally Posted by flatNshallow View Post
    Exactly HOW would you go about using an impact wrench in this case? hmmm? I'm especially curious as to how you would use a hand impact wrench - that would be interesting to say the least...
    Well as the OP mentioned these pedals don't use a regular pedal wrench, they use a hex head in the threaded end of the spindle. So, follow me here, use a hex driver on said impact wrench to break threads. Still with me? Okay, now you're done.

Here is an idea

Take a pedal wrench, scrape off the vinyl on the opposite end of the wrench and weld the appropriate allen wrench to that side.
    -James

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    It doesn't behave well until it's going mach retarded.

Rounded up a 3' section of steel pipe in the shop and a longer 8mm allen key this morning, and had the pedals off in 30 seconds. Back to packing, thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by skunkty14 View Post
    Well as the OP mentioned these pedals don't use a regular pedal wrench, they use a hex head in the threaded end of the spindle. So, follow me here, use a hex driver on said impact wrench to break threads. Still with me? Okay, now you're done.

ME = pwned.
    "Those 1%ers are not an avaricious "them" but in reality the most entrepreneurial of "us". If we had more of them and fewer grandstanding politicians, we would all be better off."
    - Bradley Schiller, Prof. of Economics, Univ. Nevada - Reno.

Quote Originally Posted by flatNshallow View Post
    ME = pwned.
    Perhaps. Maybe a bit harsh, I'm fighting my way through this Friday itching to ride so in a lousy mood.