Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Maggot afraid to kayak now

I won't mention any names, but it starts with an S, ends with a T and has ummi in the middle.

He had a few good swims this Spring, and now he's afraid to leave the safety of his bike.

He needs some words of encouragement from you guys. Help the guy out.

I recommend that Summit quits being such a pussy.

But you know what, B? Most people who start kayaking quit before they ever get any good. It's better to just hook up with a group of boaters than to try and convince a bunch of skiers/bikers to start being badasses at yet another sport.

Hmmmm.....

I bike over paddling now but I didn't have any scares. I was just tired of driving 2-3 hours per night to paddle when I can ride from my house.

I've been paddling a couple times this year and have had a pretty good time. I'm not ready to just go fire up the NFP or anything but after a couple days, I'd be back on it.

S****T- sack up and get after it. Riding sucks when it's hot out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

One of the only rules in boating is that you don't call out someone for not wanting to do something. Especially if they've had a scare. Let him get back into it at his own pace. I've seen pros quit cold turkey after a big swim or losing a friend. I've also seen them quit and then take a whole winter of pool work to get back into it. Quit being a douche and just continue to ask him if he wants to join you but without being a dick and certainly without trying to publically humiliate.
    Goals for the season: -Try and pick up a sponsor.--Phill

But whatever scares you most... --Rip'nStick

1. DH is way fun - it's not hot here and I can ride to the lift
    2. Can only DH on weekends because Keystone is closed like that
    3. Blurred can Kayak on weekends only.
    4. DH ends in 2 weeks
    5. There is the problem.

I'll be boating two days widweek next week. I might even go to deckers tomorrow if I feel like paying $40 in gas. If my bike isn't fixed this weekend and I don't like riding chainless, then maybe I'll boat.

Are bigger IIIs making me nervous right now? Yes.

Now get next Tuesday off and lets go take Adimmen down Shoshone. :-p
    Last edited by Summit; 08-14-2008 at 01:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Well then I guess my post is irrelevant. Whats new.....
    Goals for the season: -Try and pick up a sponsor.--Phill

But whatever scares you most... --Rip'nStick

I don't give a flyin fuck if it's biking, boating, skiing, golfing or curling that you're doing. Just as long as folks are out there doing something, having a blast, and justifying all the bullshit at work by celebrating their off time, it's ok in my book...

but what the fuck do i know??
    [pssst, roll practice can be fun too ]
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

I got my first "beatdown" on sunday. Scared the shit outta me, and it was only a minor beatdown by many folks' standards. Floated into the Seemore hole on the SF Payette and swam after some side surfin' and windowshadin'.

Went back and paddled it last night, but I was sweating above slalom.

I had done that run 4 or 5 times, amazing how one bad run out of several can shake you.

This is my second season boating, so I knew it was only a matter of time before I logged some scary hole time. Glad I got that first one out of the way.

doesn't sound like fear is as much of a problem for summit as lack of free time, but it would perfectly understandable if it were.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    1. DH is way fun - it's not hot here and I can ride to the lift
    2. Can only DH on weekends because Keystone is closed like that
    3. Blurred can Kayak on weekends only.
    4. DH ends in 2 weeks
    5. There is the problem.

I'll be boating two days widweek next week. I might even go to deckers tomorrow if I feel like paying $40 in gas. If my bike isn't fixed this weekend and I don't like riding chainless, then maybe I'll boat.

Are bigger IIIs making me nervous right now? Yes.

Now get next Tuesday off and lets go take Adimmen down Shoshone. :-p

You know I don't just get random weekdays off.

Adimmen has no business being on Shoshone yet, just like you had no business being on Browns when it was raging and approaching class IV.

You're going to scare the shit out him, just like you did to yourself. Not a good call.

Lets boat Browns this weekend. CuSummit, you down? Reid?

Quote Originally Posted by Senor_Smoke View Post
    I got my first "beatdown" on sunday. Scared the shit outta me, and it was only a minor beatdown by many folks' standards. Floated into the Seemore hole on the SF Payette and swam after some side surfin' and windowshadin'.
    That swim can be considered a true beatdown. I've never swam there but have seen plenty who have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

Adimmen on Shoshone when he swam 4 times on low water upper c???

You trying to scare him like you did me on Deckers last year?

Quote Originally Posted by P_McPoser View Post
    Adimmen on Shoshone when he swam 4 times on low water upper c???

You trying to scare him like you did me on Deckers last year?
    that's disingenuous because you know why he swam. besides you've never done shoshone. and he's been boating since that day

he's done deckers (and clean 11 of 13 )

he's better than you are already. next stop is lower blue. then shoshone or grizzly if he doesnt like its looks.

now if we want to talk about someone who is afraid of boating... let's discuss your fear of the eddy in class II and how you can overcome it
    Last edited by Summit; 08-14-2008 at 03:32 PM.

No one enjoys swimming whitewater, but class III is relatively harmless stuff. Bombing true DH runs has a lot more potential for injury.

And Blurred, if you're having trouble recruiting folks, I'd go over to MountainBuzz, there's tons of kayakers over there.

Heh, I'm guessing my fear of eddies is tied directly to those two swims eddying out above the chutes.

edit: It's all what you're used to really, I have relatively little fear when bombing down a DH run, but occasionally am terrified beyond the ability to enjoy kayaking. Just not for everyone.

I scared myself kayaking the Green in '88.
    Since then I've basically forgotten how to swim.
    Now-a-days I won't even go near a swimmin pool.

Anybody wanna buy some old kayak gear?

Quote Originally Posted by Yonder_River View Post
    Bombing true DH runs has a lot more potential for injury.
    Not for me, it doesn't. I am much more at home on the dirt than in whitewater, even though I am a good swimmer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bptempleton View Post
    tit ass balls. that's a better sig. or fucktardnutz. YOU MUST NOW CHOOSE!!!!

^^^When I eat shit on the bike, I don't have to worry about drowning either.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonder_River View Post
    No one enjoys swimming whitewater, but class III is relatively harmless stuff. Bombing true DH runs has a lot more potential for injury.
    As it turns out, I'm much more askeeered of drowning than I am of beatering into rocks while wearing the shitton of armor that I wear.

And I just got a call that Kris @ Colorado Freeride has ressurected My bike from the dead. *STOKED*
    Last edited by Summit; 08-14-2008 at 04:55 PM.

A bike ressurected him?

Srsly though, what's up with Kris?!

Quote Originally Posted by P_McPoser View Post
    A bike ressurected him?

Srsly though, what's up with Kris?!
    he's that good

Kayaking is a great sport but there can be a lot of fear to overcome. Add in the drive, the hassle of shuttles and trying to find boating partners that you like AND trust and it is way earier to do other things.

I kayaked for 10-12 years, including 5 years of being paid to Kayak courtesy of the USFS.

I haven't been in my boat in 2 years. Do I miss it? Not really. There are days when it has been a thought but never "Damn I really want to go boatin today"

The one thing that newbies rapidly discover about kayaking over skiing or Mtn Biking is, the river doesn't stop for you. I can pull over on my bike or skis but on the river that safety eddy isn't always there.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by BlurredElevens View Post
    Lets boat Browns this weekend. CuSummit, you down? Reid?
    Or the Numbers. Pretty much III+ whitewater at this level with #'s 4 & 5 an easy IV-. Just more action and not as long as Browns.

Sunday would probably work.
    Old's Cool.

All this trash talking, I really hope you fucking knobs hang out on mountainbuzz some.

And here we come to the HUGE limiting factor in boating, and the most rewarding part: If you want to improve and push your comfort zone, it's scary as a motherfucker. There's always a fine line between fun and sheer terror...and if you aren't into that, you'll never make major progress into harder whitewater.

There's no shame in that. Most people, even skilled athletes who huck their junk on skis or on a big bike, will NEVER be class 5 boaters...and most class 5 boaters move on to other sports (like rafting, drinking, or knitting circles) after a certain amount of time. And that's cool.
    Last edited by RootSkier; 08-14-2008 at 05:40 PM.

Really...what's the worst that could happen?

North of South, South of North, West of East
    I suck at kayaking, took it up when I was 41. I'm a solid III, shaky III+, scared shitless low IV boater. On a nice III run in familiar waters I love it, occasionally I feel like I need to step it up but then I remember some of the beatdowns I've taken. I'm good with that. I just wish we head some rain so I could go run something new.

FZ, teh Green in '88, musta been a pretty exclusive place. I like the two rapids on the UG but they just aren't worth the hike out, the Narrows will always be a spectator sport for me.
    I should probably change my username to IReallyDon'tTeleMuchAnymoreDave.