Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Wait a second..you are the spawner of kayaktheworld?

Conundrum: the missoula junkshow is descending for labor day again...though recent events are conspiring against me.
    Last edited by RootSkier; 08-18-2008 at 04:05 PM.

Shoot me a pm if you don't mind an extra beer drinker. I'll be passing by that area.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

Quote Originally Posted by Yonder_River View Post
    Nope, is that the section that they guide customers down in duckies?
    They will rent you the ducky w/o a guide there.
    It’s the places you ride that are special, not you riding there.”

All stunts performed without a net!

^^^

All of the Youghiogheny is a regular shitshow, especially the Lower and the Upper. The Upper is the scariest to witness firsthand, with many class 3 rapids that can munch/pin/suck the many boaters that are on that run by mistake (although they don't know it is a mistake).

Anyway, for the Lower, Google "dimple rock". See what comes up.

Seeing summit's massive collection of boats today reminded me of this thread. I think I'm ready to give at a strong go this summer again. Maybe with a boat that doesn't suck ass.

Quote Originally Posted by P_McPoser View Post
    Seeing summit's massive collection of boats today reminded me of this thread. I think I'm ready to give at a strong go this summer again. Maybe with a boat that doesn't suck ass.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Everyone I know is scared shitless on a regular basis. I am terrified of our upcoming Payette trip, I am going to have to take a shit just thinking about it...we even have a word for it: nurpu (nervous poop).
    Missed this the first time around. nurpu.

On one of the ledges above the Lava scout in the GC is a whole bunch of nurpu.

A couple of southern rivers are running right now. Heard the Salt is up to floating range and ....something else, can't remember right now.

A little early for me. Eight inches of light, fluufy unconsolidated river over the weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by skuba View Post
    you can let it free and be as stupid as possible

Thread Killer
    I would like to see your point of view but I can't get my head that far up your ass.

2 days paddling the Ark this last week including yesterday while my homeys in CB were skiing 14"...I would gladly trade my recent kayaking in exchange for Monarch getting off the skunk train.

Shameless Plug...!

Summit,
    Buy my OC-1 hybrid(Esquif Taureau)!! True it's not outfitted yet, leaving that for buyer(have good minicell), but try kneeling and outfit it...(ie get kneepads/ankleblocks). Just take your feet off the gas pedal and you can fall out of them OC-1s when you need to....
    Last edited by steved; 01-27-2009 at 06:19 AM.

..and most class 5 boaters move on to other sports (like rafting, drinking, or knitting circles) after a certain amount of time.
    Guilty.

Between injuries, families, and jobs, a lot of the people I've paddled class 5 with have stepped it down. You've got to be getting quite a few days in per year to maintain the balance, instincts and water-reading for real 5.

If I count running Gorilla back east as a milepost I've been running class 5 for over 10 years. Moving to CA meant playboating got de-emphasized and Sierra granite class 5 became all-encompassing. Some little bone breaks, busted teeth, and separated ribs might have hurt but didn't affect performance. Then the all-too common shoulder dislocation permanently changed my trajectory. Multiple dislocations, surgery, then more dislocations mean a permanently unstable shoulder. Hiking out of some class 5 gorges isn't possible, so risk shoots up.

I still kayak hard stuff, got on little white salmon plenty of times this year, but not pushing the edge any more. Married, just bought my second raft, find myself on class 3 again with the little lady, yawn. I find myself enjoying the scenery.

I've had people I know well die on rivers. Part of me is kind of glad to have the shoulder excuse to lower the odds of joining them. mountain biking, backcountry skiing easily fill the void. I think a lot about injury prevention though not out of fear but just sick of spending months on the bench.

I paddle with some really good old timers, the guys who wrote the guidebook for CA, and see how happy they can be doing easy 5 they've paddled before. It's a nice sustainable niche. Everyone has to find their own though.

Well, it's that time. Starting to dream about boating season again.

It's usually around this time that I start to get all fired up and think that I am going to be all fearless this creek season...and then shit starts to run and I get fucking terrified all over again. Good times! Can't wait.

Haha bet you're not terrified of eddy lines in class 2-

No...but that said, a good buddy of mine swam on an eddy line on the Lochsa last year at 25,000, he was a competitive swimmer and is a super solid boater. He couldn't get off the eddyline out of his boat. And being a huge river with zero pin potential, no one had a rope. He said it was the freakiest swimming experience of his life.

Well, it's that time. Starting to dream about boating season again.

It's usually around this time that I start to get all fired up and think that I am going to be all fearless this creek season...and then shit starts to run and I get fucking terrified all over again. Good times! Can't wait.
    I'm just straight up terrified to get in my boat these days. Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by NlytendOne View Post
    I'm just straight up terrified to get in my boat these days. Weird.
    To loosen up early season, I used to go down to some place on the river with just a couple of small features and just ferry back and forth. Then backferry back and forth and just do as much as I could without even going down the river. Dick around with all kinds of paddle strokes and stuff.

Usually be myself. Maybe would be better with someone, but I knew my spots pretty well. Real casual way to get in the boat.

Thread Killer
    I would like to see your point of view but I can't get my head that far up your ass.

The last few years...the first time I have gotten in my boat has always been something new. Last year it was the Green Truss at like 4 feet....31 degrees and with 6" of snow on the ground. And they made me run shit blind.

Quote Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
    To loosen up early season, I used to go down to some place on the river with just a couple of small features and just ferry back and forth. Then backferry back and forth and just do as much as I could without even going down the river. Dick around with all kinds of paddle strokes and stuff.

Usually be myself. Maybe would be better with someone, but I knew my spots pretty well. Real casual way to get in the boat.
    Definitely a good idea to do that. To give you some context behind Nlytendo1's comment about being scared, I'm assuming he's referring to running class V, not just kayaking in general. We are also fortunate up here in the PNW that there really isn't an early season - there's just "more things to paddle" and "less things to paddle".

Definitely a good idea to do that. To give you some context behind Nlytendo1's comment about being scared, I'm assuming he's referring to running class V, not just kayaking in general. We are also fortunate up here in the PNW that there really isn't an early season - there's just "more things to paddle" and "less things to paddle".
    Yeah, I'm in the mid-Atlantic and we pretty much have a year round boating season, too. I've found attaining the best way to stay in shape, or get back in shape, for the boating season. Plus, it helps your strokes, ferries, use of edges, etc, and with reading water. And you'll keep warm too.

The last few years...the first time I have gotten in my boat has always been something new. Last year it was the Green Truss at like 4 feet....31 degrees and with 6" of snow on the ground. And they made me run shit blind.
    Good to stay warm by staying in yer boat

Quote Originally Posted by carvedog View Post

This is good advice. As Y_R suggests below, I was alluding to harder and more dangerous runs, but I think I just might go "loosen up" a bit and see how it works.

We are also fortunate up here in the PNW that there really isn't an early season - there's just "more things to paddle" and "less things to paddle".
    LWS is in!

Quote Originally Posted by thredayevt View Post
    I've found attaining the best way to stay in shape, or get back in shape, for the boating season. Plus, it helps your strokes, ferries, use of edges, etc, and with reading water. And you'll keep warm too.
    Damn, there is some solid advice in here.

Okay, let's go kayaking.

LWS...seriously. I have a couple friends who live three minutes from the put in and the Missoula crew is already making regular missions out there. I get the willies just thinking about it. Luckily I have already have "plans" for the next scheduled departure so I can get out of it.

I think I am gonna wait until its both warm and I've had a few runs on some other stuff before I nut up for the LWS anyways.

LWS...seriously. I have a couple friends who live three minutes from the put in and the Missoula crew is already making regular missions out there. I get the willies just thinking about it. Luckily I have already have "plans" for the next scheduled departure so I can get out of it.

I think I am gonna wait until its both warm and I've had a few runs on some other stuff before I nut up for the LWS anyways.
    I'm thinking you'd love every bit of it. Nothing like the Truss. One step at a time gets you down with a smile on yer face and itching for another lap. Pretty much everything has a way around it, so it isn't like you're committed to running drops if the gut is telling you "no".

I agree that the warm weather would be real nice. Not a whole lot of sun down in there this time of year.

I've got a couple of really good friends that live within walking distance of the putin. One is an old housemate from WV. If you ever head this way, I'd be stoked to take a "relaxed" trip down the L-Dub. I'm becoming the world's most conservative boater...

I'll definitely let you know when I'm coming out next.

What do you mean that the LWS is nothing like the truss and one step at a time? I was under the impression that the LWS was significantly more continuous and committing than the Truss, although my friends who I trust tried to tell me I would be 100% good to go on it?

I found the Truss to be the epitome of pool/drop and not all that committing feeling (although I portaged lower Zig Zag, a hudge mistake I will never make again, sketchy X10), unlike most Idaho/Montana creeking which is usually just a full on torrent.

Anyways, always curious to hear more beta. LWS is in my top three runs I really really really want to hit, but just thinking about it makes my nuts retreat up to somewhere near my lungs.
    Last edited by RootSkier; 02-04-2009 at 04:54 PM.

Root - About the LWS - just sayin' that if you break it up into one rapid at a time - it becomes easier to digest. The boogie water between larger drops is just plain fun, but there are plenty of eddies and pools. I'm trying to think of a major drop that doesn't have a recovery space below it. Maybe Spirit, but with safety set at Chaos - even that drop becomes one move off the lip.

If you go with someone who knows the run, and points you in the right direction - some of the named drops become almost laughable. Some do not. What I'm saying is that don't worry about what is on there - if you need to get around it, you can. Once you get there most drops look very doable because they are. The run is a crown jewel. Not to be taken lightly, but also has to be paddled to be fully appreciated for how fun it is (even if scary at times).

I usually portage Island unless it is padded in with some water (pinny). Portage Double Drop (hole riding) and Horseshoe (leads into Stovepipe) depending on the level. Both are straightforward, but sometimes I'm just not feeling them. I've never had a problem when running them. I just don't like the thought of swimming Stovepipe for some stupid reason or chasing a boat after DD. I've never run Stovepipe, but it is starting to look a little more appealing to me. Half the time I get munched in final hole of Master Blaster, but I guess that is par for the course. That's the last rapid...paying the toll. Easy to roll up though.

The Truss worries me way more than the LWS. I don't know why. Nastier holes maybe...the cave at Big Brother...Double Drop...BZ Falls. Yuck. Maybe this helps a little. Probably not.

Hey you guys....just wanted to let you guys know this thread started as some friendly prodding.

I've never made it a secret that boating scares the fuck out of me. It scares me more than most other things, by far.

Summit took some hits last year, and got shaken up. However, he got over it. Like FAST. He has the boating bug more than most now. We'll be skiing pow in the middle of January........I mean, boating couldn't be further from my mind.....and then he'll bring it up and tell me how stoked he is to paddle again.

That makes me stoked too......Summit is definitely one of the best boating partners you can have.

Definitely a good idea to do that. To give you some context behind Nlytendo1's comment about being scared, I'm assuming he's referring to running class V, not just kayaking in general.
    Yeah I kind of thought about that too. But I didn't you class V guys got scared like that.

I am a class 4 boater on a good day. But have found myself getting in my boat for the first time for the year on the Selway at 6.5 feet and the Middle Fork Salmon at 7 feet. Really pushing it for me, to go from low water, warm on my game late fall boaing, to cold, cold, cold water and ripping volume for my first strokes of the year.

Not so much kayaking for me until I get my back figured out a little more.
    Sure would love to do some surfing this summer. For river tripping I am just as happy in the raft and I spill less beer that way too.

But I do misses my surfing.

Thread Killer