State championship XC race at solitude saturday

Yes that's right. this saturday at 11 AM. The title state championship doesn't really mean much, winning doesn't do much more for you than winning any other race. For some reason though I'm finding myself wanting to win (obvious statement I know).

Anyway, last week I took 2nd in my category and am really hoping to win this one (the course fits my riding strengths perfectly, brutal climbs and techy singletrack descents, for cross-coutnry anyway) and one thing I've learned throughout the season is having people you know at the race is really a huge, huge boost.

So, I guess what I'm saying is this, if anyone wants to come up and support, it would be uber cool and again, a huge boost. I'm sure most people want nothing more than to stand around and watch people suffer while riding bikes, but it's a pretty cool atmosphere. If you don't have any plans, it would be cool to see some mags there.

Thanks,
    Phil

Oh, there is a road race in the canyon that day, apparently you gotta be in it by 9 AM, Mill D or the crest might be the vote after the race.
    Last edited by Telephil; 06-23-2004 at 11:21 PM.

That sounds fun alright. I'll be in the Uintas.

Best of luck in the race, Phil!

If you win, I think it may be time to upgrade. No sandbagging!

Thumbs up

I hope you do win this race. You've trained hard enough.

I'll be riding DH this Sat at Basin. Best of luck and go git some!!
    I want a 6" travel 20lb MTB. I found the 20lb MTB, but only good for riders under 87 pounds.

Tell ya what, I can't make it, but if you carry your cell phone in your jersey, I'll call you and slander/cheer you on as you race.

Having never met you, Phil, do I ask every racer if they have change for a nickel as they pass by? That alone would probably mess with a few minds. Or, when they say no, should I put a stick through their spokes?

Go Phil Go
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Science-fiction author Robert Heinlein

Talking

Originally posted by CS
    Tell ya what, I can't make it, but if you carry your cell phone in your jersey, I'll call you and slander/cheer you on as you race.
    Get a loud cellphone, or one of those newer cellphones with a speaker phone built in, and you've got a combination race-coach/cheerleader and competition-intimdator/shit-talker.

Originally posted by homerjay
    Best of luck in the race, Phil!

If you win, I think it may be time to upgrade. No sandbagging!
    Thanks mang, If I do I'll probably race sport once more then move up to expert the last two races of the year.

Oh, and IG, the stick in the spokes idea is just perfect.

And everyone else, thanks for the words of confidence, i'm pretty stoked for it.

Originally posted by GT40
    I'll be riding DH this Sat at Basin. Best of luck and go git some!!
    look for the big oaf with mutton chop sideburns puking to keep up with the 150 lb triathletes at the Basin saturday, that'll be me!

Originally posted by Jiffy
    look for the big oaf with mutton chop sideburns puking to keep up with the 150 lb triathletes at the Basin saturday, that'll be me!
    I'll look for ya after the race. Good Luck. You must be a masochist, or in really great shape!!
    I want a 6" travel 20lb MTB. I found the 20lb MTB, but only good for riders under 87 pounds.

Soooooo, did you win? I would think so but we need to know.
    "People blame me because these water mains break, but I ask you, if the
    water mains didn't break, would it be my responsibility to fix them then?
    WOULD IT!?!"
    - M. Barry,
    Mayor of Washington, DC

Originally posted by Mr. Altagirl
    Soooooo, did you win? I would think so but we need to know.

Arghhh! Second damn place for the second damn week in a row to the same damn guy. Essentially the exact same race as last week, I lead for 1/2 of it, he passed me, I stayed with him for a while, lost him, he won.

More detail.....he catches me as we reach a service road, we have one of those conversations where you make the other person think you're fine even though you're both dying, it went like this. Him in quotations......"How's it going Phil?" Good, you? "Good, it's hot today." Yeah, super fun course though. "Yeah." Well, looks like it's me and you again today. "Yep, maybe we should ride together for a while, you pull me on your good spots, I'll pull you on mine." Yeah, okay.

I lead for a while, he leads up this steep, short uphill, I'm literally three inches off his rear tire, I hit a rock, get off balance, come off my bike, I'm down maybe 10-15 seconds, going into the third lap, starting the climb again, he comes off his bike, I'm within 5 seconds, but can't hang on. Oh well, next week.

Bummer Phil. Hope you snipe him in the next one. Or just move to expert and next time you see him call him a sandbagging wanker.
    More fucked up than a cricket in a hubcap

Way to go Phil! Stay on him, you got him next time (think about it while you train).
    "People blame me because these water mains break, but I ask you, if the
    water mains didn't break, would it be my responsibility to fix them then?
    WOULD IT!?!"
    - M. Barry,
    Mayor of Washington, DC

Doh! So close. Congrats on 2nd though! Remember next time to throw a stick in his spokes. Or thumb tacks. Or get a voodoo doll.

Originally posted by Crinkle
    Bummer Phil. Hope you snipe him in the next one. Or just move to expert and next time you see him call him a sandbagging wanker.
    That's what I'm talkin' about!

Congrats, Phil. The first two or three guys in sport class are fast as hell, and you're one of them consistently. Its an accomplishment in itself. Expert is more racin' for the money, anyways.

Thumbs up

Originally posted by Telephil

I lead for a while, he leads up this steep, short uphill, I'm literally three inches off his rear tire, I hit a rock, get off balance, come off my bike
    Learn how to ride.

Otherwise, well done sucka. And since "next week" means Brianhead, I'll see if we can't take some time out of our long downhill runs to come throw stuff at you to motivate you to ride faster.

Originally posted by Crinkle
    Bummer Phil. Hope you snipe him in the next one. Or just move to expert.

That's kinda the plan, I'm racing sport this next weekend, then will move up to expert the last two races of the year when I'm scheduled to peak.

>>>Telephil's personal cheerleader<<<

Cut-n-pasted from a PM exchange:

InspectorGadget wrote on 06-28-2004 07:25 PM:
    Not that I would expect you to remember, but I was there with my son and nephew. We were sitting on the rocks at the water crossing - just above the junction of the big and Apex loops - cheering for the racers. I saw plenty of Sports Den riders, you may have been one of them. I thought the young lady on the rigid single-speed was getting after it - pretty cool.

We started working our way to the bottom after the second lap and left at about one o'clock. My son thought it was very cool; we may find ourselves entering the twelve and under and 40+ beginner classes as soon as I am able.

I rode in the MS 150 yesterday. It felt great to be back on the bike, but my wrist didn't appreciate it nearly as much as the rest of my body and my head in particular.
    Telephil wrote on 06-28-2004 01:50 PM:
    I totally remember, you were there for the first lap. Very cool, yeah, I was the sports den rider in the front. That would be great for you guys to get out racing once you're able, any time line on that?

Congrats on the MS150, definitely a cool feat.

Thanks for coming up saturday.

Dudley Do-Right always get his man, you'll get yours at the next race.
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Science-fiction author Robert Heinlein

congrats on gettin after it Phil.

YOU ARE THE BEST LOSER!

good ta see you on Sat, sorry I had to work & couldnt support or heckle your nemisis