Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Super Secret Argentina Adventure - UPDATED

Finally getting some word from Argentina -

Double super secret SA maggot trip. It's taking shape.
    Location - Ushuaia.

Dates: August 13 or 24 to August 30 or 31 Options: 3,000 verts of inbounds/OB terrain, a glacier, and heli-skiing. Read on for details.

Exit: via Las Lenas

The view from 'The Other Valdez'

Heard it gets windy there. We're hoping to come in on the tail of the Santa Rosas and get the deep. It's chancy, but we can get resort skiing inland if there's weather. While we were in Lenas last year and it was dry as a bone, the weather we kept checking said Ushuaia was getting pounded. There's a bit of weather risk, but poised against another world of adventure, aren't you always running on faith when you travel continents? I haven't been disappointed yet with a roll of the dice. The safety net for freshies we've built into the equation is an exit out of Lenas.

Right now it's looking like Joe Lammers, TeleRob, Jonny Rotten, Punani, breez, Spats, Me, and You, dudele.

Sandy's in. Spats is in. And I think trainnvain is, too.
    Oh, yeah, nightpanda and his pops, duckthe rope, and comish.

I'll update when more info comes in. The more the cheaper. It's a flight from BA and we're there with a local to show us around.

comish - your pm inbox is full - yes, there's room for you and as many people as want to come. Just trying to get a head count to work a group rate for everyone. If we have enough, our mag Sergio at sta might get us our own charter plane. ALIVE!

Oh course you will, so I'll apologize now for our tracks.
    Flanker and up and down - those are the facts for now - check in later when we get more info....

Just talked to Lammers, our avie savvy patrolman/model from Whistler. He got a gig guiding in Lenas and needs to be out of Ushuaia on the 1st. We're doing a story type thing and really want him there for his talent on the snow and knowing the snow. He's a major safety factor for off-piste, heli, and b/c.
    Would bumping the date up interfere with anyone's plans???

I would have called you, breez, eventually.... looks like we maybe got Damian Cromwell for a photog. Call me tomorrow.

Musta been a good party..........

Bummer, comish. Would been nice to have you there. Just got off the phone with Damian - he's in. Would everyone who thinks they'd want to go send me their e addys. I'm going to start a group mail for updates on this.

UPDATE

Just got updated on a number of things regarding this trip and I am now getting very excited ---

1. The heli pilots are flying the mountains and some new terrain this week, spocking out some first descents and will get back to us with verts, prices, and the number of runs we can get in a day.
    2. Heli-skiing down south is way cheaper than up here. We'll have Luis as a pilot. He's been flying the Ushuaia mountains for years.
    3. We'll have views of the Atlantic and the Pacific from the heli terrain as we explore never-been-skied terrain all over the place (this is why we want Lammers along). Waiting for the final heli-price to come in a day or two.
    4. A skin trip of the Martial glacier is also on tap. Plus resort time.

Here's some preliminary costs:
    BA to Ushaia: $238 RT (it's almost 2,000 miles each way)
    Rooms: $25/night with 3 per room, includes breakfast
    Lift tickets at resort:$25/day

FKNA!!!

For those of you who haven't seen the requested (mandatory) date changes please scroll up and respond.

In 60 days. YES!!!!!!!!!!

edit: Can't tell ya how much I'm gonna miss havin you there, basom.
    Damn Knees!

Yes, sandy. We'll need to meet in BA (we have a rendezvous hotel) on the 22nd or 23rd, then we all jump the same flight to Ushuaia on the 24th. (We'll have an exact schedule soon). We'll fly out of Ushuaia on the 29th or 30th back to BA. Some people will be coming back stateside then. Others will fly or catch a bus to Lenas. Bus is cheap, 12-14 hour ride, but totally comfy. Then take the bus back to BA whenever to fly home, unless you want to drift into Chile and fly out of Santiago.

Hey snorkel and mike, pm me your e addies and I'll put you on the mailer.
    (mike, you sick mutha, be great to have you along)

edit:
    Been getting asked about approximate costs, so I just gave this quote out for ballparks. If anyone has comments that I'm high or low, please chime in. I didn't want to guess on the low end.

1000-1250 airfare RT

Ushuaia: $65-75/day for resort skiing, food, and lodging
    $45/day for b/c, food, lodging.
    heli - $300/day (I'm guessing)

Lenas: bus travel - BA/Lenas $100 RT
    $70-$100/day - room, lodging, food, lift tickets, UFO

hotel -one or two nights in BA - prolly $60 a night, cheaper if shared.
    2 grand, no Las Lenas.
    3 grand with Lenas.

I've been a bit sidelined with other stuff lately and a lot of people are wondering what's up. I'm stuck in Oregon for a few more days and will get back on this asap. So Lenas is getting hosed?

Just busy, spicoli, busy, busy, busy........

Back in the saddle.....had to do a stretch on morphine in the hospital in Oregon after a wicked stomach infection, then come home and reload xp. I'll be posting on this trip again now and need the people who want to go to send me their intents, questions and addies via pm again again to redo the group mail folder.

Sorry. I'll empty that box.

Sorry, Comish.

And you others that want to go - here's what's up. We'll need to depart BA on the 22nd (I'll get the name of the rendezvous hotel to you next week). I've been traveling and busy and am going through computer issues for a while longer. I've lost the list of people who might want to go, so we'll need to re-commit soon, so I have numbers. There's been some talk of taking a boat to some 9K peaks that go down to the ocean - it's a skin-up situation. And a few of us might hang for longer than a week with possible b/c overniters being discussed.

I have to fly to NYC in a couple weeks to get the miles for a free ticket, but I'm committed. Anyone doing a fare watch for those buying? More info as it comes.......

Yep. It'll be there.

Shit, I haven't even got the heli details yet, Rev.
    Hang on like the rest of us paving the way.....

I've already forgetten the pilot's name.

edit: Just talked to our guy in BA - so much snow in Ushuaia the heli has been grounded for days. All info and pricing forthcoming in next few days.

Hmmmm...........10 pesos a night??????????
    I have been quoted prices faaar tooo HIGH! Unless there's a red carpet and a hooker in every room. You never know.
    Well, we're set up, but not paying in advance, so we'll investigate that. Spats - make a note of that hostel, would you???

TeleRob stopped by this am and we noticed airfare from SFO has dropped a hunski over the last week. There's some talk a bunch of us might hang around Ushuaia an extra week instead of hitting Lenas if it rules. Got word on some 9K peaks accessible by boat (but only to the bottom of them) over on the Chilean side that we might climb and ski down to the ocean.

KWmisfit - where you been at the weed??? Do you ski with the crew there?

KWmisfit
    Minion

i was in argentina last summer for two months. i poked around ushuaia for two weeks. that place is amazing. cerro castor has some fun terrain. there is also this double chair, just outside of town, that takes to the base of a sick little valley. a fairly easy hike, and you've got your choice of some fun lines. 54 hours on a bus from BsAs. the trip is unreal. you take the coast most of the way and end up crossing the straight of magellan. beautiful country. i stayed at a hostel named Los Cormoranes. the couple who run it are the nicest around. 10 pesos a night and home cooked argentine meals, how can you go wrong.

well, have a blast!

I got quoted $238RT to/from BA by our connection there on aerolinas argentina.