Which of those wheels to get?

Since asking the last time here I pretty much scrapped the idea of getting carbon wheels for tubulars. Not that I mind glueing them - have done that for long time decades ago - but since I'm entirely on clinchers by now I don't want to switch back to tubulars for simple convenience.

Terrain I ride is pretty hilly with steep ramps involved. So looking around I found three pretty climbing dedicated options which would considerably bring the wheelset weight down. It's for everyday use, not racing.

Either some ACs 350s or Mag clinchers

http://www.amclassic.com/wheels_road.html

or some of those

http://www.extralite.com/index_euro.htm

Any mags out there with experience on any of these? I did some research but not much info on the Mag clinchers except that dedicated brake pads are essential on the magnesium surface like on carbon wheels.
    Thanks.

I'd go with the AC Mags, they are super smoove on the road.
    Since then it's been a book you read in reverse, so you understand less as the pages turn.

The things you find on the net.

You could also build something up with Sapim X Ray spokes, Tune hubs, and whatever flavor of the month superlight clincher is around. It would probably be lighter than the extralites, and less expensive.

I don't think you should toss tubulars, I ride on a set for racing and training(sometimes) and I love them to death. I even did a 500 mile bike tour on a set of tubulars, and all I brought with me was a bottle of tufo goop. That would knock the weight down even further, ride smoother, and you can scrounge ebay for some old mavic ssc box section rims from 20 years ago. That way you can build up a wheelset that has normal # of spokes, will be really light, and still strong. I've put a set of reflex tubulars/240 hubs 2x pattern 28h through everything, and havent touched a spoke wrench to it for years.

Thx so far.

Andy,
    is it second hand info or do you ride mags yourself? If so which brake pads are you using? Heard too they ride as smooth as you can get it, even compared to carbons.

Cantdog,
    I'm currently restoring my old '72 Rufa roadie for my second home, it's got the classic box section rims and goes with tubulars. I don't toss them at all.
    But to use them on the new bike I'd have to switch the entire cassette/hub and thus couldn't ride the old beauty any more.
    Good point about getting separate rims/spokes/hubs. But seriously doubt I would beat the wheels mentioned weightwise. I don't race so clinchers are the way to go for me as of now.
    Tufo goop?

EDIT: upon inquiry Extralite responded they will not be able to provide these wheels in the foreseeable future since no rims are available.
    Last edited by Hicks; 08-12-2008 at 07:41 AM.

Tufo makes a tubular sealant in case there is a small puncture. Its like the stuff made by stans.

So is this wheelset going on a new bike or old bike?

If it is on a new bike, you would just have to swap cassettes, which takes a few minutes(quicker than changing pads for the mags). Or you could just put another cassette on there and not have to swap anything.

That weight listing for the extalite seems really low. The AC mags tip the scale at 1256grams actual, and the AC350s at 1306grams.

Havent ridden the mags, but I would assume they are pretty soft rims, and I'd be afraid of denting one.

You can find old mavic tubular rims that undercut the weight of the CR350 rims by 50 grams a wheel easily. You'll save a few more grams with a tubular tire versus clincher/tube. Use your desired hub/spokes, and you'll get something that is probably a little lighter than those listed. And you can roll along at 170psi.

Bottom line is if you want to build up the lightest wheelset possible, tubulars are still the way to go. That doesnt really help you pick between those wheelsets though.

I've put a few miles on them, my buddy has them so I snag them on occasion when he is not looking.
    Since then it's been a book you read in reverse, so you understand less as the pages turn.

The things you find on the net.

Thx again.

As mentioned Extralite already bailed => weak sauce!

Will try the tufo sealant next time I ride my old bike. The wheels will run on the new bike solely, already have a spare cassette.
    Will do a search for some old Mavics too. If I can't score any I will either get some AC 350 rims (28 holes available, should be stiff enough) to build up and stick with 1300g or wait for a deal on the mags (1160g with Sapim spokes).

One word about the mags: there was a review by some Belgian dude on a bike forum who rode them for 15000 ks already. He used red Kool-Stop pads to gain at least acceptable braking in wet conditions and was a very happy camper on them. The link below (in German only, Babbelfish is your friend).

http://forum.tour-magazin.de/archive.../t-105178.html