Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Opinions wanted on Sunshine Village's inbounds avi gear requirement

To ski Delirium Dive, The Wild West, and Silver City at Sunshine Village one must have avi gear and a partner. Is this really necessary or are they just too cheap or too lazy to properly prepare or patrol their terrain? I can think of many places more radical that do not require this. In fact, I know of no other place that requires this in what they call their inbounds terrain.
    Last edited by skibiker; 08-11-2008 at 04:01 PM.

Ever hear of a little place named Bridger?
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

yep and Big Sky makes you have gear and a partner to ski the Big as well.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

What's the big deal? Carry gear and ski with a buddy or hook up with someone at the gate.

I think it's great that SSV has a way to filter out at least some of the gorbies.

If you want to ski in a manicured play park with no risk, keep on bellyaching.
    "Nothing is funnier than Hitler." - Smokey McPole

BLOOD SWEAT STEEL Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by skibiker View Post
    Is this absolutely necessary or are the skiers there really too cheap or too arrogant to properly prepare themselves for potential avy activity?
    Fixed that for you.

I think Big Sky and Bridger have similar requirements.

The sunshine patrol does a good job preparing the terrain and will often close it when they think it is necessary. That said, inbounds slides do happen (in many different resorts) even on terrain that is easier to control than DD. Patrol must feel that skiers with proper equipment are more likely to have at least basic avalanche awareness and having the beacon would make for an easier rescue.

One of the most important reasons for the requirement is it forces skiers to make a commitment to ski the terrain before showing up on the hill. Although there are still a number of skiers in the dive that are in over their head, it would be a gong show if open to all. The last thing the resort wants is an intermediate skier who is intent on telling his buddies he “skied the resort's hardest run”, and getting himself into trouble.

While most people ski lines in DD and WW that are similar to typically inbounds "double black" terrain, it is not hard to find lines that are more challenging and/or exposed. Silver City is definitely not a typical inbounds area.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    If you want to ski in a manicured play park with no risk, keep on bellyaching.
    Heh.

Gear + partner requirements = fewer people. What, exactly, is the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Heh.

He has no friends.

Quote Originally Posted by f2f View Post
    not sure you can rent friends so cheaply though.
    It used to be cheaper to rent "friends" in alberta or indeed Canada as a whole but the damn oil boom has pushed up the price.
    Days on snow this season: 54 Last Season: 83

www.poachninja.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Heh.

I have no problem, and I am not against their practice. Just looking for the wisdom of the maggot collective. Perhaps I was suspicious of their motives, but I see the errors of my ways. I should have just asked about other places that have similar policies, and what the reasons are. Although they seem pretty obvious now. Manchester 81 thanks for the answer.
    Blood Sweat Steel, your changing of my quote is the shit.

Doesn't Baker require avy gear to ride certain lifts?
    "The riding never stops" Craig Kelly

I think more resorts should do something like this to keep the better terrain for the more experienced and knowledgable. Mainly for my selfishness to keep gapers off my mountains, but also for some safety for those gapers who bite off more than they can handle.

Quote Originally Posted by eCr412 View Post
    Doesn't Baker require avy gear to ride certain lifts?
    Only when it pukes ridiculous amounts of snow and avi level is High but thats only a few times a season.

Wow! That run looks amazing! Would love to make it up there and ski it. Is it not open a lot? Is it risky to make a trip up there expecting to ski it? Are there ever any comps at Sunshine?

FRIEND FOR RENT
    have gear, will travel

if you pay the gas
    prohibition is the opposite of liberty
    "...the ski patrol brought our poles down to us, & were buyin' us beers. If we did that in the states they'd take our gear & put us in jail.
    It's so much nicer to be in the real land of the free." Shane McConkey

may you bask in the cacophony of onehanded applause
    like the sound of crystal falling gently to the trees

Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th
    It's bad enough that the snow gets trenched out because every aussie 'local' who spends 2 months there has to prove they can side slip delerium. At least making them round up some gear narrows down the field and narrows down how often they come back. The other thing it prevents is the beer fueled lunchtime bravado sending dozens of morons to rag doll displays of incompetence.

Also, yes the potential for trouble remains high, the time to get help lengthy and the time for help to arrive also lengthy. Having all people in there equipped to search and dig certainly doesn't hurt.
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

right at the lights, straight on till night
    Quote Originally Posted by skibiker View Post
    I can think of many places more radical that do not require this.
    please stop using the word radical. it physically hurts to read it.

ps. as your attorney i recommend that you duck the rope without equipment or a buddy. now that's radical.

ouch
    when everything in the world is at its darkest, it takes a big man to kick back and party.

I think he meant that FARC guerrillas do not require avy gear. Neither does the Taliban. They are radical.

Ski the backside of Whitehorn at LL where there's no requirements, then go ski DD and ask this question again.

Quote Originally Posted by L7 View Post
    It's bad enough that the snow gets trenched out because every aussie 'local' who spends 2 months there has to prove they can side slip delerium. At least making them round up some gear narrows down the field and narrows down how often they come back. The other thing it prevents is the beer fueled lunchtime bravado sending dozens of morons to rag doll displays of incompetence.

Also, yes the potential for trouble remains high, the time to get help lengthy and the time for help to arrive also lengthy. Having all people in there equipped to search and dig certainly doesn't hurt.

L7 hit the nail on the head.

And I'll add that I've seen a number of slides in the Dive even when patrol has it open (no disrepect to the SSV patrol intended - the Dive, the West, and Silver City are all complex and very avalanche-prone terrain. Patrol does an awesome job of keeping these areas open on a fairly regular basis (although to my knowledge, Silver City has only been open a handful of days over the past two seasons).

For the life of me I don't understand why Jackson does not establish this standard for OB.
    The shittshows that occur back there...I can't believe there isn't more mayhem.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    For the life of me I don't understand why Jackson does not establish this standard for OB.
    And The Crayons for that matter (and others). Probably too much time/$ to require gear/partner at the gates? Was looking at this the other day:

http://www.avalanche.org/~uac/photos..._Draw_1-14-05/

I'm surprised that anyone hasn't posted the obvious solution -
    A stud finder bought on sale at Home Depot in place of a beacon combined with an inflatable love doll with three working orifices (may also double as an avalung) in place of a partner.
    The Sphinx: You dress in the manner of a male prostitute!

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post

But we're not talking OB terrain here. Delirium Dive, Wild West and Silver City are all within Sunshine's boundaries.

There's a few backcountry gates at SSV similar to those at Jackson Hole, but because SSV is in a National Park, you can leave the area at any point (as long as you don't cross an closed inbounds area) with or without avi gear, at your own risk.