%#%&@!!! Stupid thorns!!

Was riding to a friend's house to pick up my truck, and cut across a parking lot instead of staying on the bike path. Ran over too many thorns to count, it looked like my tires had picked up a bunch of pebbles. Sadly, they weren't pebbles. Both tires totally flatted, and I must have picked out 10-15 thorns on each.

Question: should I just get new tires? I picked out all the visible thorns, and of course when changing tubes I will do my best to find the invisible ones, but I don't want to risk flatting 15 minutes into my next ride. I'd hate to spring for new tires when these are in great shape, but I'll do it if I should.

PSA: if on the Bear Creek Path near Williams Village, do not cut across the Will Vill parking lots.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

wish I could remember how many flats the Will Vill parking lots gave me last year. I used to park my Jeep in that gravel lot since it was the cheapest parking available and just ride my bike there to get to it. just make sure you remove every thorn because its the small ones you can barely see that bite you in the ass with slow leaks. as long as you get all the thorns out you should be ok still riding on those tires

Goat heads! We have those all over the place here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

I remember those bastards
    I'm still riding on the same tires that were once covered in thorns (on my commuter bike now)
    You'll be fine, just be thorough.

You clearly need a new bike. I'd recommend a Giant Trance X0.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

depending on how you feel about it, this could be a good time to try tubeless
    this is what happened to me early this season and i decided to give it a shot. so far so good. (it is a science project in the beginning though)

otherwise, pick out all the thorns
    do a twice over on the outside with tweezers looking at anything suspect
    do a twice over on the inside with your hand pressing hard to try to find anything sharp\pokey
    reinstall and you should be OK

Goat head thorns
    THEY ARE THE SUCK!

Time for Ghetto Tubless®
    -James

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    It doesn't behave well until it's going mach retarded.

talk to me about tubeless. I know nothing.

bear in mind that I am a complete Jong with hands made up (alternatively) of butter and clubs (changing tubes/tires is the upper limit for me), so if there is anything remotely technical about dealing with them I will fail.

Advantages? Disadvantages? I don't need new rims, right, just new tires?
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

you may not need anything except sealant
    depends on your rims and tires.
    at most youd probably be able to get away with a stans kit (rim strips and sealant)
    at worst, a stans kit and new tires.

really though, id not recommend tubeless to someone like yourself given your description (no insult intended)

while im fairly happy that its worked for me thus far, im not sure im sold on it yet either
    of course i havent ridden over any goat heads recently....
    (pinch flatting was never an issue for me with tubes)

Quote Originally Posted by pechelman View Post
    really though, id not recommend tubeless to someone like yourself given your description (no insult intended)
    Dude, no insult at all, that's the kind of honest assessment I wanted. I'm retarded at this stuff, changing both tires is going to be my big "project" for tonight. I don't need to mess with shit I don't need to mess with.

ok, another question that will surely make some of you laugh.

Went to buy some new tubes. The tubes they had in the case said 1.5-2.2, and the existing tires are 2.35. I asked, and the guy sold me some 2.3-3's from behind the counter. Is that what I need? It just seemed odd that he had to get them from elsewhere, that they were not in the display case; I never thought my tires were abnormally large.

Danno --

You can use a 2.1 tube in a 2.35 tire, no problem.

It's going to be lighter than a 2.4 tube, which is a bonus.

I'd echo pechelman's thought on Stan's. That shit is messy. I like working on bikes, and I won't even bother with Stan's. I don't want a trailside puddle of white goo when something goes wrong mid-ride. I don't want the hassles. Tubes aren't bad, you just have to spend a bit of time getting to know what PSI works well for you on the tires you run.

what happens when you run over a thorn, such as goat heads, if your running tubeless?

on the tubes, do what UC said.
    Ive been running those in my 2.4"s for a while (years) and never had a problem
    For this reason I usually pay attention to the rubber thickness when i buy tubes just for added insurance cause im stretching the tube more.

spankthepow, the theory is that the stans, latex and latex particles? (aka gold crystals) will be forced out under pressure to the leak, clog it like a finger in a dyke , and seal it when the latex dries during exposure to the air outside the tire.

edit: ill also just add, that stans can be messy but doesnt have to be
    first time i ever did it and i had 2 little drops of stans hit the floor
    the issue for me is the science project part of it
    shit, i must have spent a few hours and then a few days getting everything to seal. i ended up adding an additional scoop of that shit, (total of 3 for a 2.2") cause i just dont care about the weight and wanted something to seal. Admittedly, i was using an "offbranded" non UST 2BLISS tire from spesh, which had a tonne of sidewall pinholes to seal and the bead took a while to seal as well. it literally took 3 days before i left work, when i got home from work, and before i went to bed of shaking it and inverting it on a bucket. it was a big headache, but now its done.
    Last edited by pechelman; 08-11-2008 at 02:49 PM.

on the flipside, there are many UST tires and non UST 'tubeless ready' tires out there that seat and seal perfectly in seconds with a foot pump or a decently-big hand pump.

i don't like to mess around w/ any hassle factor, so i focus on the rims and tire combos that work easily.

years ago i used to mess around for an hour getting my 'favorite' tire (i.e the one w/ the trail performance i liked) to seat and seal correctly tubeless, but these days there are many good choices that reduce the tubeless installation time to 60 seconds.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

I got tons of flats last fall and decided never again, so I've been riding Stans strips off and on this season. It is kinda a PITA to setup, but I think the traction and rolling resistance in my rooty/rocky/slippery terrain is worth it.

I just (tried to) set it up tonight w/ a crappy floor pump and 2 used tires.

717 Rim w/ 2.1 Maxxis Ignitor - success, 2nd inflation attempt
    717 Rim w/ 2.35 Maxxis Ignitor - failed, need a compressor as it doesn't fit quite as the bead isn't as tight as the 2.1

I love the Ignitor's otherwise I'd probably find a bit easier combo.

i run no sealant with my tubeless set up, tubeless rims and tires... the tubeless set up flats like a normal tube and tire setup sans sealant. Actually running tubes in both wheels now for that very reason. seriously considering sealant for riding out here. back east i think i only flatted my tubeless setup twice in 5 years of serious XC racing/riding, and only because of sidewalls wearing out cause i was too cheap/poor to replace them earlier.

so in short tubeless wont solve the problem unless youre running sealant.

man, that was a fucking pain. spent 1 1/2 hours this morning plucking thorns and changing tubes. hopefully I am good to go now.