Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 66
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Beach
    Posts
    1,081

    PETA sinks to lowest levels yet!

    http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/...ta-mclean.html

    Synopsis: PETA is publishing ads comparing last week's greyhound bus attack to the slaughter of animals. Those people are just as fucked up at the attacker was.
    Quote Originally Posted by StuntCok View Post
    Splat did tell me he liked his pussy like he liked his ski boots. I guess he meant dank, stinky and a bit packed out.

  2. #2
    Kied's Avatar
    Kied is offline Inconsiderate Tree Killer
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Tahoe
    Posts
    1,462
    That's fucked up. Where's the compasion for the family of the victim, you'd think they could come up with a more creative way to get their point across. I always thought when I was younger if I came into a large sum of money I'd give some away to an animal rights group. If that day ever comes I'm not so sure it'd go to those guys.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,097
    Those people are just as fucked up at the attacker was.

    No... This is fucking stupid to say. This is incredibly less compassionate for the family then the ad. PETA has never, in my opinion, been on a low level at all. They get looked down upon and made fun of because they are always seeking attention, but the only reason is because they don't get nearly enough attention. The shit people do to animals is incredibly fucked up, and something needs to be done about it. However, whenever PETA does a million things good for animals, they publish one stupid ad or something and everyone throws their hands in the air about the "stupidity" of PETA. Admittedly, this ad is stupid and harsh, but this is the only kind of stuff that I hear about PETA doing, not the TONS of great stuff they accomplish every day.

    BTW... Sorry if I come off like an asshole... I have nothing against you, but I wish people would understand that they are actually an extremely good organization

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Beach
    Posts
    1,081
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLionfish View Post
    No... This is fucking stupid to say. This is incredibly less compassionate for the family then the ad. PETA has never, in my opinion, been on a low level at all. They get looked down upon and made fun of because they are always seeking attention, but the only reason is because they don't get nearly enough attention. The shit people do to animals is incredibly fucked up, and something needs to be done about it. However, whenever PETA does a million things good for animals, they publish one stupid ad or something and everyone throws their hands in the air about the "stupidity" of PETA. Admittedly, this ad is stupid and harsh, but this is the only kind of stuff that I hear about PETA doing, not the TONS of great stuff they accomplish every day.

    BTW... Sorry if I come off like an asshole... I have nothing against you, but I wish people would understand that they are actually an extremely good organization

    Are you for real?

    How can you say that PETA has never been on a low level when they've used this family's tragedy for their own gain and attention? How would you like it if some group of extremists started drawing comparisons between your son or brother being brutally killed, decapitated and mutilated to a cow being stunned unconscious in a slaughterhouse? Would you really be alright with that? Probably not.

    And by the way, this isn't the first time those heartless freaks have pulled shit like this. A few years ago they tried to run ads drawing comparisons to the Robert Pickton murders. There's been a lot of other heartless, callous ad campaign attempts in the past as well. At least most newspapers have some decency left and refuse to publish them.

    And as for them being a good organization? They want 100% non-interaction between animals and humans. They're not just talking about meat, fur and animal testing. They also want to take fido and fluffy away from you. No pets, no meat, nothing. All the happy little animals can just run around in the forest and be fucking happy. Do some research about what their founders and other higher-ups in the organization have really been saying over the years. It's scary.

    What happened in Manitoba was a tragedy, and anybody trying to use it for their own gains, be it the "tough on crime" politicians, or the PETA extremists is absolutely off side.
    Last edited by Shaggy; 08-07-2008 at 01:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by StuntCok View Post
    Splat did tell me he liked his pussy like he liked his ski boots. I guess he meant dank, stinky and a bit packed out.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    http://tursi.com/gmaps/displaycoords.html
    Posts
    3,628
    peta vs. godhatesfags..

    not much difference.

    -steve

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    soaring on the shitwinds
    Posts
    7,305
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    Are you for real?

    How can you say that PETA has never been on a low level when they've used this family's tragedy for their own gain and attention? How would you like it if some group of extremists started drawing comparisons between your son or brother being brutally killed, decapitated and mutilated to a cow being stunned unconscious in a slaughterhouse? Would you really be alright with that? Probably not.

    And by the way, this isn't the first time those heartless freaks have pulled shit like this. A few years ago they tried to run ads drawing comparisons to the Robert Pickton murders. There's been a lot of other heartless, callous ad campaign attempts in the past as well. At least most newspapers have some decency left and refuse to publish them.

    And as for them being a good organization? They want 100% non-interaction between animals and humans. They're not just talking about meat, fur and animal testing. They also want to take fido and fluffy away from you. No pets, no meat, nothing. All the happy little animals can just run around in the forest and be fucking happy. Do some research about what their founders and other higher-ups in the organization have really been saying over the years. It's scary.

    What happened in Manitoba was a tragedy, and anybody trying to use it for their own gains, be it the "tough on crime" politicians, or the PETA extremists is absolutely off side.
    Well put! Let's all buy a steak for PETA today...
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    5,998
    I guess PETA has good intentions...dont necessarily agree with everything. And theyre a bunch of fucking nutjobs.
    Decisions Decisions

  8. #8
    bklyn is offline who guards the guardians?
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,827
    There are better ways to publicize their cause, n'est pas? The family has asked for privacy during their time of mourning, it should be respected and not exploited.

    PETA entered a no-win cycle with their special version of 'shock activism'. Now if it's not more shocking than the last time (or at least shocking), they don't get coverage. I agree with some of the things PETA stands for, yet in the past I didn't support them solely because of their methods. This takes it over the edge, not only will I never support them I'll always hold them in contempt.
    I'm just a simple girl trying to make my way in the universe...
    I come up hard, baby but now I'm cool I didn't make it, sugar playin' by the rules
    If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the heck do I think I am.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    too far South
    Posts
    2,061
    this is a much better use of peta's resources:


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Next door
    Posts
    2,632
    ^^^
    I want to make a suit out of Amanda Beard
    كافر
    (Infidel)

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    18,022
    OK, I'll bite. How is slaughtering a human so much different than slaughtering an animal? Please enlighten me. Yeah, I'm sure the family of the murdered man doesn't appreciate their dead son being compared to a slaughtered cow, but the fact remains there are similarities.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Next door
    Posts
    2,632
    You're right. The family of the beheaded guy should just buy a cow to replace their murdered loved one. They're so similar, the family will soon forget about their pain and loss.
    كافر
    (Infidel)

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    http://tursi.com/gmaps/displaycoords.html
    Posts
    3,628
    he's also right about eating a cow-cheeseburger - it isn't any better than eating a murdered-man-cheeseburger.



    -steve

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    soaring on the shitwinds
    Posts
    7,305
    Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    OK, I'll bite. How is slaughtering a human so much different than slaughtering an animal? Please enlighten me. Yeah, I'm sure the family of the murdered man doesn't appreciate their dead son being compared to a slaughtered cow, but the fact remains there are similarities.

    Dude, I used to work on a farm and when slaughter time came, it meant people were being fed. No, i didn't enjoy shooting/throating/gutting animals but it's all part of the circle. It needs to be done and somebody has to man up and make it happen. When people are slaughtered, nobody benefits. Everyone loses and only sick, depraved people kill other people for a "cause". THAT'S the difference, jackass. Human life is very precious and if you think the deaths dealt to animals in the wild are in any way more humane then the ones they get from us, drink some antifreeze- I hear it cures your particular brand of stupidity. Show some goddam respect for the dead.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    18,022
    Well, to vegans perhaps there's no difference. Hey, I eat animals too, but that doesn't mean there aren't people in this world that think differently. This "circle" you speak of also involves human beings. We die too. Most often of natural causes, but also in war, gruesome accidents and brutal murder.

    I don't exactly endorse PETA's tactics but I've got to admit they're effective on some level.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,097
    Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    Dude, I used to work on a farm and when slaughter time came, it meant people were being fed. No, i didn't enjoy shooting/throating/gutting animals but it's all part of the circle. It needs to be done and somebody has to man up and make it happen. When people are slaughtered, nobody benefits. Everyone loses and only sick, depraved people kill other people for a "cause". THAT'S the difference, jackass. Human life is very precious and if you think the deaths dealt to animals in the wild are in any way more humane then the ones they get from us, drink some antifreeze- I hear it cures your particular brand of stupidity. Show some goddam respect for the dead.
    You think he should show respect for the dead? The OP said PETA, an association made to protect animals for inhumane treatment, is JUST AS BAD as the sick fuck who randomly beheaded a person. And a lot of people hunt for fun, and I'm pretty sure it hurts an animal just as much as it would hurt us to get shot through the stomach... So think about this: Would you appreciate it if some assholes went into your house and shot you just for fun?

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    http://tursi.com/gmaps/displaycoords.html
    Posts
    3,628
    what difference does that make?
    to fred phelps there's no difference between hitler and gays, but by your logic he's just a guy who "thinks differently."

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,097
    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    what difference does that make?
    to fred phelps there's no difference between hitler and gays, but by your logic he's just a guy who "thinks differently."
    You lost me here

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    To Far From Steep
    Posts
    212
    Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    OK, I'll bite. How is slaughtering a human so much different than slaughtering an animal? Please enlighten me. Yeah, I'm sure the family of the murdered man doesn't appreciate their dead son being compared to a slaughtered cow, but the fact remains there are similarities.
    You're missing the point. The MURDER happened what, a week ago? The blood on the Greyhound seats istn't even dry yet, and PETA is using the event to their advantage. This is the apogee of bad taste and exploitation.

    A 22 year old kid died. A bus full of people are totally fucked up and probably looking at years of therapy. The fact PETA did this so soon shows them to be incredibly selfish and disrespectful. Not that i'm surprised, this IS the group that compared the slaughter of chickens to the holocaust.




    Douchebags

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    1,952
    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    he's also right about eating a cow-cheeseburger - it isn't any better than eating a murdered-man-cheeseburger.



    -steve
    Manburger with cheese? Steve, you are a sick sonuvabitch.

    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLionfish
    No... This is fucking stupid to say. This is incredibly less compassionate for the family then the ad. PETA has never, in my opinion, been on a low level at all. They get looked down upon and made fun of because they are always seeking attention, but the only reason is because they don't get nearly enough attention. The shit people do to animals is incredibly fucked up, and something needs to be done about it. However, whenever PETA does a million things good for animals, they publish one stupid ad or something and everyone throws their hands in the air about the "stupidity" of PETA. Admittedly, this ad is stupid and harsh, but this is the only kind of stuff that I hear about PETA doing, not the TONS of great stuff they accomplish every day.
    Though I haven't hunted for several years, I've been a hunter for a long,long time & therefore have had the privilege of interacting personally & electronically with dozens of PETA members / activists. Tell me, BigDaddy ~ what are the TONS of great stuff they accomplish everyday? Does it include arson, criminal mischief, breaking & entering, vandalism, destruction of private property??
    We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need? ~ Lee Iacocca

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    18,022
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiz View Post
    You're missing the point. The MURDER happened what, a week ago? The blood on the Greyhound seats istn't even dry yet, and PETA is using the event to their advantage.
    Well of course they are. This is absolutely their strategy. They want people to be outraged.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    in a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,773
    Personally I have little to no use for PETA, that being said the "ad" is not that bad. It is doing what it was meant to do, get a bunch of people talking about PETA(or in the case of TGR arguing, name calling and threateining to garnish wages).

    Stabbed and eaten on a greyhound. I bet if we ran a little contest the bright minds that ply the forum could come up with more tasteless (tasty?) advertising ideas.


    The nekkid ads are way better.

    The dead are dead - compassion for relations, perhaps?
    How much respect would you have tossed a guy that was a transient carny when he was alive?
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

  23. #23
    bklyn is offline who guards the guardians?
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    5,827
    Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    OK, I'll bite. How is slaughtering a human so much different than slaughtering an animal? Please enlighten me. Yeah, I'm sure the family of the murdered man doesn't appreciate their dead son being compared to a slaughtered cow, but the fact remains there are similarities.
    Well, nothing really. The end result is dead, no matter what is being killed.

    My issue with PETA is drawing this parallel with a person who is not (afaik) a part of the meat processing industry nor his family. This family is not trying to use this death as a platform to speak out on any issue. They have simply asked for privacy during this difficult time.

    We can't survive without something dying. It could be an animal, a bird, a fish, a plant... Once you eat it, it dies. Of course, we can all make more ethical choices in the sourcing of our food, no matter what we choose to eat. Big agri-business and the fur trade have many troublesome aspects, reform may be in order. I believe that a reasonable appeal to the consumer is a better way to bring about that reform, vs shock tactics.

    They could be instrumental in ending some of the more reprehensible factory farming methods by taking a moderate approach. ie: instead of berating people for eating chickens, campaign to educate about the problems associated with caged hens and encourage those that choose to eat chicken to select free range birds instead. Their more extreme message has the unintended consequence of making people run out to buy steaks for dinner in protest of their methods.
    I'm just a simple girl trying to make my way in the universe...
    I come up hard, baby but now I'm cool I didn't make it, sugar playin' by the rules
    If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the heck do I think I am.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    11,940
    Oppsy... I thought this was all about "doggie stoke". My bad....





    Gotta agree and say it does seem to be in poor taste.
    Last edited by BigDaddy; 08-07-2008 at 09:46 AM.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,520
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/...ta-mclean.html
    Those people are just as fucked up at the attacker was.
    No, they are not. I am not in favor of the add, but to state that people who run such adds are as screwed up in the head as someone who would decapitate a human is a bit inaccurate to say the least.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."


    "You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

    "I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Similar Threads

  1. OH NO Landis Positive drug test?
    By Woodsy in forum Sprocket Rockets
    Replies: 162
    Last Post: 09-20-2007, 04:48 PM
  2. NSR- Scary Report on sea Ice levels
    By MassLiberal in forum General Ski / Snowboard Discussion
    Replies: 112
    Last Post: 03-16-2006, 09:54 AM
  3. Penn & Teller on PETA
    By Bandogge in forum The Padded Room
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-29-2005, 05:36 PM
  4. Big Dump...Low Levels...
    By KQ in forum TGR Forum Archives
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 12-10-2004, 11:13 AM
  5. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-13-2004, 01:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •