Exterior Basement Stairwell - Ideas?

Being reduced to lurker status, I feel I am breaking code by asking this but here goes anyhow.

Any of you folks care to share ideas and/or pics of stairwells leading out of the basement and up into a backyard? Right now we have what looks to be a fairly standard concrete construction. The years have not been kind and the two walls have seperated from the house foundation. We were looking at some sort of quick fix, but the many other cracks and such have us thinking we might redo the whole thing.

So....what options are there other than concrete? Brickwork? Cinderblocks? Stones might give a nice old cellar feel. How about wood? Would rot make this a no-go or is possible to have a Finnish spa feel as you exit the basement?

Here's hoping I can still count on maggots to come through the intel'.

d.
    "Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward."
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Try to get one of those famous Montreal spiral staircases.
    Maybe half of one, if you don't need the full height.

Those things rule, and they look awesome...except that everyone in Montreal has one, which kind of reduces the cool factor a little, I guess.
    "Active management in bear markets tends to outperform. Unfortunately, investors are not as elated with relative returns when they are negative. But it does support the argument that active management adds value." -- independent fund analyst Peter Loach

Depending on your budget there are always options. The walls need to be retained by something so RR timbers or locking stones like you see surrounding terraced gardens would be an alternative. Stone steps would be cool but expensive to get the right shaped ones . Any sedimentary deposits nearby ?

Concrete is the most cost effective option . It's easy to work with and does the job .
    Consider a stained and or stamped top coat for a more creative or natural look .

You want your entry to be as nonabrasive as possible so stones set in mortar are attractive but not friendly to traffic.

A beer fortress in the kingdom of cheese...
    My first thought is... what exactly are you describing/do you have now??? Maybe throw up a picture here? I'm thinking you are describing a classic "bulk head door"/bilco type stairs probably without the covering/door part? Or is it just a masonry exterior stairway with tread run/rise similar to your interior stairs? My next thoughts are what type of use is the space in the basement adjacent to the stairs getting now? Is it a nice rec room that would benefit from a bit larger excavation and some daylight windows? Or just a storage/mechanical/etc room and you are just looking for a cheaper solution to repair/replace the existing stairs? Also, how many stairs/how deep is basement floor vs grade now?
    Last edited by timvwcom; 08-05-2008 at 06:47 PM.
    If some of the best times of my life were skiing the UP in -40 wind chill with nothing but jeans, cotton long johns and a wine flask to keep warm while sleeping in the back of my dad's van... does that make me old school?

"REHAB SAVAGE, REHAB!!!"

I'll get some pics up tonight. I'm not really sure how to describe it other than about 6 concrete steps leading up from basement door to backyard with concrete walls and border.

The door leads to a storage/work room in the basement. Stairs come up beside a wooden deck and onto an unfinished yard. We are in the process of deciding what to do with the yard so that might play a role in what we want to do with the stairs.

Hopefully it will be more clear when I get some pics up.

Thanks,
    d.

Quote Originally Posted by timvwcom View Post
    My first thought is... what exactly are you describing/do you have now??? Maybe throw up a picture here? I'm thinking you are describing a classic "bulk head door"/bilco type stairs probably without the covering/door part? Or is it just a masonry exterior stairway with tread run/rise similar to your interior stairs? My next thoughts are what type of use is the space in the basement adjacent to the stairs getting now? Is it a nice rec room that would benefit from a bit larger excavation and some daylight windows? Or just a storage/mechanical/etc room and you are just looking for a cheaper solution to repair/replace the existing stairs? Also, how many stairs/how deep is basement floor vs grade now?
    "Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward."
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Stone steps would be cool but expensive to get the right shaped ones . Any sedimentary deposits nearby ?
    No, but we do have a crumbled stone fence that is going to be removed....
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Here`s the pics.
    View from the bottom and top, crack where it's pulled away from the foundation, and larger area view - any ideas for this area are welcome as well...right now we're thinking some kind of stone patio/garden shed/outdoor work area. Perhaps a clean place to do bike repairs and hose off dirty garden tools...

Thanks for any and all input,
    d.
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Does it matter that it's pulling away from the foundation? The stairs look fine to me.

When did you stop being sick and ashamed and happy?
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

^^^^

beat me to it on both counts.

I'd just pressure wash them to get them clean and then maybe paint them or tile over if you really want to.

There doesn't appear to be any structural problems based on the pics, you can fill in that crack with some concrete patch.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Perhaps. Just worried what future winters are going to do to it. Any sort of cement filler in the gap will just crack again with the freeze/thaw cycle, no?
    - Kurt Vonnegut

A beer fortress in the kingdom of cheese...
    Quote Originally Posted by gincognito View Post
    Perhaps. Just worried what future winters are going to do to it. Any sort of cement filler in the gap will just crack again with the freeze/thaw cycle, no?
    As long as that drain in the floor still works (or you can clear it), and you can get some positive pitch away from the edges of the existing curb... I'd suggest you repair instead of replace. I'm not a mason, but with the right product I'd say you can get years out of each repair. Print a pic and take it to the best local hardware store (not likely to be a Home Depot or Lowes, etc) and ask for advice on the correct product to use for the patch. I'd think you'd either use a really thick mix and hand trowel it, or set in pieces of brick/block/etc with mortar, or maybe could use a board as a form for the inside face and pour a moderately thin mix that you agitate down in there? If in doubt you might try and find a moderately priced mason and hire the work done. Oh, in addition to a power washer... I'd consider using muriatic acid, but use gloves/safety goggles/etc or again hire out. Lastly, take some time to find the correct paint for exterior concrete so you don't have to redo it too quick.
    Last edited by timvwcom; 08-06-2008 at 05:04 PM.
    If some of the best times of my life were skiing the UP in -40 wind chill with nothing but jeans, cotton long johns and a wine flask to keep warm while sleeping in the back of my dad's van... does that make me old school?

"REHAB SAVAGE, REHAB!!!"