0 solid south swells this year rant

I put in a lot of days skiing last winter and frankly had a shitty winter in the water. When ever I was in town to take part in the surf, there generally wasn't that much solid surf happening.
    I was looking forward to some solid south swell action this summer to make up for a non spectacular winter and so far feel kind of striked out and it is the end of July? I mean, there was a good swell about 3 weekends ago for 3 days with some head high plus surf, but that has been it. WTF is going on? The last 9 months have been horrible for me. Are the Surf Gods fucking me over for having such a great winter skiing last year? Where are the 5-10 day Southern Hemi swells that bring us some head high plus waves to feast on this summer. A day here and there of shoulder high surf just isn't working for me.
    I sure hope my luck changes in Cabo in a few weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

That sounds like a pretty typical summer. At least for up around SC. I don't remember a ten day run of head high south swell since... since... it has at least been a long time.

Cabo may bring it. But lack of surfing is one of the sacrifices of a scoring a good winter of skiing. Summer is so unreliable.

Honestly, I don't gripe to much until October/November come up empty. It is the NWers with an autumnal off shore wind I am always waiting for.

Newport was head high Saturday through Thursday. Don't know if Friday-Sunday was good as I was at a wedding. Water was pretty warm too, high 60's. Not really a 10 day stretch, but pretty good.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

I hear ya, when there's been south in the water here in the Bay area it's been windy as well. However, in April got some GREAT south down on Oahu - some great days in town and over at cliffs.

Though windy, I have to say that Thursday this past week had some pretty solid swell up here. The Lane was looking overhead and super sweet - except for the 60 plus surfers in the water.

No back to small to nothing...

The good news (as far as surf in northern california goes) is fall is comin'....

Some big swells in and around Metro Perth today. Most of the peaks closed out pretty early and inconsistently though.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal_Mt_Dreamin View Post
    The good news (as far as surf in northern california goes) is fall is comin'....
    It might be here. Currently a 978mb storm in the Gulf. This could fill in even south of the Point.

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/mm5r...lp.03.0000.gif

Lack of good S swells = Trendy standups are now everywhere

Oh no...say it ain't so. Haven't really seen that many up in WA yet...I'll do my best to scare them off

Quote Originally Posted by chadeau View Post
    Some big swells in and around Metro Perth today. Most of the peaks closed out pretty early and inconsistently though.
    Chadeau, you in Perth?

Ya I'm in Perth. New to surfing though. I mostly just go out with friends who have boards and experience to lend me.

Couple of really good sets off the jetty in the "port" today...nobody out...incoming swell was nice....some overhead. Friday should be decent...WA peeps go get it

We got a pretty good dose of NW yesterday and today. Overhead. Still no S really, but if the North Pacific wants to turn on, I have no complaint.

Quote Originally Posted by RIGAFARI View Post
    Couple of really good sets off the jetty in the "port" today...nobody out...incoming swell was nice....some overhead. Friday should be decent...WA peeps go get it
    You mean "port" by the Sea? I was laughing my ass off when I saw a commercial for the "new" 'port when I was back home awhile back. Heard that big golf course development got approved as well - ghey.

Somebodys really trying to make westport an attraction They mowed the dunes down already right next to the lot.

Small but surfable south over the weekend down in SB. A little mixed in winter direction, just enough to get you in the water to sit and wait.

It looks like your ten day run is about mid way through. We have been getting the south since Wednesday and expect it through the end of next week. Not huge, but a steady pulse of energy non the less.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    It looks like your ten day run is about mid way through. We have been getting the south since Wednesday and expect it through the end of next week. Not huge, but a steady pulse of energy non the less.
    I looked at it all the way north to Encinitas last Wednesday and it was weak and maybe chest high. I went out early last Thursday and Friday for the lower tide and caught a few that were close to head high. Really inconsistent on those bigger sets. Saturday and Sunday were weak in San Diego. Surf report says maybe a new SW swell by next Wednesday. This recent swell was still weaker than what I had in mind. Every SD local I have spoke to has commented this summer sucked for solid swell. Hopefully, things will start to rock in October again. I love those first solid Northwest swells of winter Then the snow isn't far behind.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Decent S swell all weekend at the Ranch. Not too big, but consistent sets with no crowds (as compared to most weekends). It was finally a good surf weekend.

This morning did not suck. Not super consistent, but I did get so pitted.