Petit Aiguille Vert and Allalinhorn 19-20/7/08

Having arrived at Geneva on the first flight out of the UK and dashed up Chamonix to meet MaRuMo. We boarded a noon cable car (tram) up the Grand Montets.

Looking up the Argentiere valley there was more snow than I'd expect for late July.

The face of the Petit Aiguille Vert looked very inviting. So we decided to head up the mountaineers path and gain a little more vertical before skiing down.

We go a few funny looks trudging up the path with our skis on our backs kicking steps in the soft snow. On cresting the ridge we looked over at the Nant Blanc face of the Aiguille Vert. This was skied just a few weeks ago.

Stepping into our skis just below the summit rocks the slope looks steep.

Skiing it feels very steel. Here is MaRuMo above me.

and again mid turn, getting out of the grabby snow to rotate her skis.

Up here the very light weight of our skis and the relatively skinny waist (88mm underfoot) was a great asset.

As we left the slopes of the petit veert to head down the more familiar ones of the grand Montets the cloud swallowed the upper slopes behind us.

Below the summit of the Grand Montets, the snow was normal spring like snow and had lost its weird grabby tendency. Here we are still on a glacier. MaRuMo is above the main Rimmae (Bergshrund).

At this point the snow is heading towards slush, but hasn't yet become a sun cupped mess. Argeintiere village can be seen in the valley below me.

From here on down we had to pick our way between ever increasing rock. MaRuMo making what I though was her last turns of the day. But she managed to find a worthy snow patch lower down to make another few turns, if I manage to work out how to post the video I will.

I wasn't a long trudge down to the mid station but it was tough going down what is normally a easyish angle ski trail. Is rough gravel and scree in summer.

That even we drove to Sass Fee in Switzerland and camped for the night. Next morning we caught the first tram to the top of Sass Fee. The top section is actually a sub terrain train (like a subway).

Looking up at the Allalinhorn above the summer ski area, it doesn't look that far?

The track up was simple and relatively short. probably one of the easiest 4000m peaks you can climb. But and easy 4000m peak doesn't exist when you are living at sea level and are just in the alps for a weekend!

The view from the summit was great. The Rimpfischhorn and Strahlhorn behind and Monte Rosa in the background. The Matterhorn lurking somewhere in the clouds.

The ubiquitous summit photo.

The first part of the decent was very firm underfoot, a little unnerving for me with a lot of space below.

Things softened up as we rounded the mountain towards the ski area. MaRuMo enjoying some turns.

Knowledge is Powder

I take it this was a few days before she and her injured climbing partner were pulled of the north face of the Aiguille du Midi by the rescue chopper?

Hugh Conway Guest
    Those homemade skis of yours still look sexy

Very nice, good to see somebody getting after it...
    "I have never exploded. But I know what it would be like. Don't ask me how. I just know. I've always just known." -Garth Merenghi

Thanks for the pics, Idris. Wish I'd've had time to stay over there and play last week. I saw a report where someone just skied Les Courtes within the last two weeks. NICE.

Where were you over last week, Lani?

Nice as always Tom, thx for sharing.

Nice summer stoke!

nice stuff Tom. it's a rare hot day in London and having been moaning about the lack of summer, I am now fantasising about cooler places
    fur bearing, drunk, prancing eurosnob

Way to go tom! Got to start thinking about getting my bindings back on the skis..... chopper rides?

Good turns. Still lots of good snow over there.

Nice and nicer.
    Life is not lift served.

Yowsa. That looks freaking fantastic, Idris. Is that the face right under the tram, above the town?

way to keep the season going....or starting or.....? check your pm...
    'waxman is correct, and so far with 40+ days of tasting them there is no way my tongue can tell the difference between wood, and plastic made to taste like wood...but i'm a weirdo and lick my gear...' -kidwoo

very nice!!!
    looks like a lot of red sand was brought there by the wind...

Now you've started it... Thanks Tom.
    i wish i never chose that user_name

Whitedot Freeride

Quote Originally Posted by Endlessseason View Post
    Yowsa. That looks freaking fantastic, Idris. Is that the face right under the tram, above the town?
    The upper face is above the top tram. The lower face you can see the tram above

Above the town of Argentiere

Quote Originally Posted by verbier61
    very nice!!!
    looks like a lot of red sand was brought there by the wind...

No just a crappy phone camera. My main camera had just shut down for the day. Thought it had died. Or flat battery. Turned out to be silica gel crystals in the battery door sensor!
    Knowledge is Powder

Damn! Nice pics.
    I were in cham looking for skiing partners 14th-15th!!
    If I only knew you were around I would have PMd you..

Damn...

The cham/monte rosa area is in superb condition now.As were SaasFee in 3 weeks ago. Lot of snow above 3600m and very little crevasses. Big faces is being skied daily,Lyskamm N etc.. Lots and lots of good skiing there now.

Euromags, go and get it!

The floggings will continue until morale improves.