Thread: "Muscle Milk"?

"Muscle Milk"?

Sounds dirty.

Seriously though, I've been hitting the gym pretty hard. Lifting weights, going for muscle (mostly to get rid of fat...). Don't wanna be Arnie or anything, just get some tone and definition and lose the fucking belly.

My gym stocks the Muscle Milk shit. Is this stuff a good idea after a heavy workout. I don't wanna get fatter. Is this shit legit?
    ROBOTS ARE EATING MY FACE.

It is a good mix of protein, carbs and nutrients. Muscle Milk Light is probably a better product for what you are looking for.

Muscle Milk is just one of many products like this. If you have access to Costco they have a competing product under their line named Premier. The ready-to-drinks are just as nutritious (and much cheaper) and their bars are pretty good, too.

Eating some protein within 30 minutes or so after a workout is supposed to help build muscle, so this stuff should do it.

PM Zippy. He lives off that stuff.

Dude, just hook up with a six months pregnant single mom and you get it for free.

Read the label. See the fat content. Move along.

Splat is a wise man. Heed his advcie. I love trying to breast feed off my g/f.
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

It's not worth it if you are lifting at a time when you can eat a meal afterwards.
    After a lift stick to a healthy dinner with loads of lean protien within 1 hour of finishing your exercise. If you can do that you'll replenish your muscle glycogen properly AND provide a nice store of protien for your body to work off of at night. Injesting all that protien right after just lifting isn't what you need. It's carbs likely come from sugar which don't replenish glycogen as well as complex carbs AND you can't utilize all that protien immed. and thus a waste of calories.
    The next morning also add a protien shake with whey protien- the best kind- so you can have a nice protien load as your body repairs its muslces the next day.

Save the milk for when you can't eat after the workout.

Muscle milk if you arent going to eat a meal with carbs AND protein within an hour. If you can eat, dont waste your money. Just eat a lot, itll burn off. Before you go to bed, have a shake with micellar protein. Its like time release, so your protein doesnt break down overnight. Whey protein before lifting (usually like an hour before). Just get two tubs, one of each, itll last a while and help your body burn fat while staying strong so you dont feel weak when lifting. Eating well is also just as important as your lifting for trimming fat. Each well and eat often, keep the furnace in your body going.

But overall from what I hear the muscle milk is really the best stuff out there for that type of stuff
    Decisions Decisions

Hmmm....mixed responses.

I guess I should just do some more research. Realistically, I'm probably not able to eat right after lifting/working out (within an hour). And, I'm not eating meat so much, or even at all. So I'm probably not able to get the kind of lean protein that's beneficial through food.

I have heard the whey protein is the best. I'll probably check out what Costco has to offer, as I have a membership. I've never though about doing the protein shake shit aside from maybe right after a workout. I usually workout every other day if I can. Is it really a good idea to do the protein shake the morning after? On a day when I won't work out? (but might do something moderate like hike or tennis).

If you can't eat properly after a workout it would be a good idea to take some kind of suplement, otherwise it's not really worth it. The idea being that your body can only feed off nutrition for so long before it needs to be refueled. By the time you are finished with a good hour long workout you are probably done using all the stored energy you've got and you body will turn to breaking down muscle instead.

If you do use something like muscle milk, make sure to cut back on you next meal though. Taking the milk and still eating your regular meal will increase your calorie intake and negate the purpose of exercise.
    Quote Originally Posted by wintermittent
    And furthermore. What is up with turkey bacon? Healthy bacon? Unpossible.
    Quote Originally Posted by snowsprite
    That is like masturbation. People resort to it when they can't have the real thing!

There's this small study that suggests chocolate milk is a good recovery drink.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/524370

If lactose intolerance is a problem, I believe Lactaid makes chocolate milk. Or you can DIY with some syrup.

Quote Originally Posted by StroupSkier View Post
    If you can't eat properly after a workout it would be a good idea to take some kind of suplement, otherwise it's not really worth it. The idea being that your body can only feed off nutrition for so long before it needs to be refueled. By the time you are finished with a good hour long workout you are probably done using all the stored energy you've got and you body will turn to breaking down muscle instead.

If you do use something like muscle milk, make sure to cut back on you next meal though. Taking the milk and still eating your regular meal will increase your calorie intake and negate the purpose of exercise.
    But Muscle milk is only like 200 calories, roughly equivalent to a half of a whole wheat english muffin spread with peanut butter. That's really not that much, and I think there are even lighter versions/similar products.

Whatever, it won't kill me to try it for a few weeks. If I get fatter, then I'll stop.

I can't tell if some responses above are thinking that the product "Muscle Milk" is just milk. That answer is no.

Use Muscle Milk Light if you use that brand. If not, look for low(er) calorie, high(er) protein shakes, powders or bars. Like I said, Costco's Premier line is pretty good for fairly low calories and fat with pretty high protein while being fairly low cost.

Ready-to-drink products are generally the most expensive, but a little more palatable if you don't have some sort of mixer or blender handy. Chill them and try keep them reasonably cool before drinking to help the palate.

Protein, carbs, minerals and fat are all essential ingredients to a healthy diet. Don't get caught up eating only supplemental items like drinks or bars.

From what I have read frequent, smaller meals with a wide range of normal foods with bars and drinks added in at specific times to help muscle growth is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Wandrin* View Post
    Protein, carbs, minerals and fat are all essential ingredients to a healthy diet. Don't get caught up eating only supplemental items like drinks or bars.

From what I have read frequent, smaller meals with a wide range of normal foods with bars and drinks added in at specific times to help muscle growth is the way to go.
    Right. I'm just looking for something that is beneficial directly after a workout, because I can feel my body and muscles really actively the few hours after a workout, so I want to give them the fuel to maximize the benefits from the two hours I put in at the gym.

Quote Originally Posted by bossass View Post
    But Muscle milk is only like 200 calories, roughly equivalent to a half of a whole wheat english muffin spread with peanut butter. That's really not that much, and I think there are even lighter versions/similar products.
    Caloric intake is not the real issue, the amount of of protein, carbs and fat you take along with the glycemic index of those foods is.

While a while wheat muffin and PB may make a good snack, both are low on the glycemic index and will take a while to get fuel into your system. After a long workout you need to eat foods that have a high glycemic index in refuel your body quickly.

Unfortunately, most foods rated as high aren't exactly foods that I would want to eat right after a hard workout, so I usually look to a bar or something that is made with brown rice syrup instead.

http://www.musclegaintruth.com/glycemic_index.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by wintermittent
    And furthermore. What is up with turkey bacon? Healthy bacon? Unpossible.
    Quote Originally Posted by snowsprite
    That is like masturbation. People resort to it when they can't have the real thing!

It comes down to eating carbs and protein right after your workout asap. Dont worry about calories, youll burn it off. If youre pretty consistent exercising, youll begin to see if you need to eat more (many small meals) or less. Always eat a meal/snack with a protein and a fruit or veggie. I lay low of a ton of carbs unless its right before or right after a workout, then I load up. But just spreading out meals without even exercising has big effects. Add in lifting/running/whatever and youll just want to eat more of the small meals. And thats fine, your body needs something to burn (if theres nothing there you burn muscle before burning fat)

I dpont think whey is necessarily best- it has its job...its quick acting. Have it right after your workout (or before). Have it in the morning if you want (or during the day to act as a meal/snack with the necessary fruit/protein). The Micellar stuff is great before bed- its the protein in milk (yogurt, cottage cheese, etc). The muscle milk is fine though right after the workout. If you can have a pre made protein (whey) shake in the car or locker for after, thats even better and cheaper. Honestly the shit is fucking expensive as fuck so I stay away.

Oh and lay off sugars except right after your workout. Basically, right after a workout, I eat almost whatever I want. But the only things in my cabinet are pretty healthy so its easy. Whole weat breads/pasta, leanest meats, CHICKEN, 93%hamburger, broccoli, salmon etc. Makes it easy. AND EAT A GOOD BREAKFAST
    Decisions Decisions

i love the shit! drink it everyday, before work, skiing, whatever...keeps me going till lunch pretty darn well
    ayuh