surfboard rental options in Sayulita?

The girlfriend and I are heading down to Sayulita/Punta Mita in late September for five days....trying to figure out what to do about having a board down there to use.

A friend of mine will let me borrow his travel case to get our boards boards down to Mexico if we want to take them with us, but given all the add-on airline charges we're likely to get for a 9' surfboard bag I'm wondering if we're better off just renting down there.

Anyone know what kind of rental options there are around Sayulita? Ideally I'd like to be able to do a multi-day rental of a couple halfway decent eggs or longboards so I wouldn't have to pick it up every day and be limited to surfing during business hours. Are all the rentals down there gonna be softops and beat to hell Bics or can one actually get a 'real' board for rent?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Bud; 07-24-2008 at 01:40 PM.

Sininen. Or buy something from one of the 1,893,121 expats and sell it when you leave.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Hey Bud...my fellow puget sound ripper. Go to Acciontropical in punta de mita...these guys are pretty nice and they have a good selection. Stay away from sayulita and that crappy break. Take a boat trip out of punta de mita to go surfing. There's alot of good breaks out there without alot of people(boat only). The place that rents boards on the beach in sayulita has crap. Hope this helps

http://www.acciontropical.com.mx/splash.swf

gazillions of board rentals, some good others less.
    You don't need a boat to surf at Punta mita,that is a lie the boat operators use. Just find the trail and take a 15 min walk, the bus is cheap easy transportation.

thanks for all the info guys!
    ...as much as I love surfing in the NW, I'm really forward to experiencing surfing without a wetsuit for the first time.

if we wanna be able to go back and forth between Punta Mita and Sayulita and check out other spots, do y'all think its worthwhile to rent a car?

Quote Originally Posted by Bud View Post
    thanks for all the info guys!
    ...as much as I love surfing in the NW, I'm really forward to experiencing surfing without a wetsuit for the first time.

if we wanna be able to go back and forth between Punta Mita and Sayulita and check out other spots, do y'all think its worthwhile to rent a car?
    Only if you can't handle a 10 peso bus ride, walking a bit, and the occasional taxi.

The Bonin Petrels

Another vote for Sinenen there in Sayulita. I rented from the cranky German lady. They had a bunch of nice boards (all epoxy) and you could swap them out for the weekly price (1500 pesos in March 2007). They let me use a brand new, never waxed Robert August and a slightly used Takayama.

I'd recommend a coache as there are quite a few spots -more than the two areas you mentioned...

Quote Originally Posted by snowfunk View Post
    Another vote for Sinenen there in Sayulita. I rented from the cranky German lady.
    She's Finnish.

The Bonin Petrels

bump for updated sayulita board rental info...heading there this weekend and forecast is looking very solid.
    Craig Kelly is my co-pilot.

Buy Your Lift Tickets in Advance and Save

I was there in June, Sinenen and Accion are both still good calls. I was staying in Sayulita so rented from Sinenen, selection and quality were really good. Have a great time, both Punta De Mita and Sayulita should be sweet!