Thread: Single Speed

Single Speed

My drive train is old and shot. I think it might be cheaper to make it a single speed. Does anyone know where I can get the kit?
    thanks!
    will work for food.

Question

Kit????

First things first...do you have horizontal or long diagonal dropouts? If not don't bother since you won't have a way to adjust chain tension. Otherwise, remove derailers, outer chainring, and shift levers. Have a shop build you a SS wheel. Buy a new chain and use former inner chainring...voila!
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Or with vert dropouts you could just use a derailer as a tensioner, break apart your cassete and pick your gear, make some spacers, line everything up and go ride.

Is it whack to buy an off the shelf-single speed? Or should I scour the bike swaps for a vintage MTB frame with horizontal drop-outs?

Oh, I don't own a mountain bike, but want one. I don't have much money to spend on a bike... $400 max.
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

Originally posted by Greydon Clark
    Is it whack to buy an off the shelf-single speed? Or should I scour the bike swaps for a vintage MTB frame with horizontal drop-outs?

Oh, I don't own a mountain bike, but want one. I don't have much money to spend on a bike... $400 max.
    Definitely not whack if that's what you want.

I've seen the Bianchi DISS for well under 400 bones around the internet.

http://www.mtbreview.com/reviews/200...ct_84997.shtml
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

What is a good site for buying used bikes?

Some initial web surfing seems to indicate that the Surly 1X1 is quite popular.
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

Keith Bontrager shows us how to do it:
    http://www.bontrager.com/keith/rants.asp?id=8&ck=0&fl=1

Originally posted by Greydon Clark
    What is a good site for buying used bikes?

Some initial web surfing seems to indicate that the Surly 1X1 is quite popular.
    I have this bike. Bought it used last year for $275- complete bike. I like it.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Re: Single Speed

Originally posted by jstead
    My drive train is old and shot. I think it might be cheaper to make it a single speed. Does anyone know where I can get the kit?
    thanks!
    do you want a single speed or a fixed gear (F.G.) single speed? Both are doable with vert drops but very different machines. For all you need to know about F.G. bikes go to: http://sheldonbrown.com/home.html

I'm having my second F.G. S.S. bike made as we speak. Was trying to keep it under $2.5K using lots of spare parts. It aint goin' happen. I think it will push the value of my bike fleet above the value of my car -- the way it ought to be.

Remember: "Real men get fixed".

Edit: Here's the correct single speed conversion site:

http://sheldonbrown.com/singlespeed.html
    Last edited by Lunch; 06-21-2004 at 10:45 PM.
    Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Re: Re: Single Speed

Originally posted by Lunch
    Was trying to keep it under $2.5K using lots of spare parts.[/url]
    yikes! what is the build on that thing?

Surly sells a 1x1 Singleator that let's you convert a bike with a rear derailleur hanger. Keeps chain tension.

Saw it in the Performance Bicycle book for about $55.00

singulators work......but spend a little more and get a specific ss hub built up w/anew wheel. i think white bros makes a special hub that accepts normal drop-outs, its pretty cool, as the hub adjusts once you fit it into the regualt drop outs, giving tension to the chain, and viola! ss action....am lookign to have one of thesde wheels built myself as the singulator is kinda a cheap fix....