WTB: Beacon on the Cheap

My arva advanced started to crap out this season so I'm looking for a beacon. Digital is preferred but analog is acceptable, anyone have anything hanging around, or know of good online deals?
    Last edited by bubba-k; 07-23-2008 at 11:12 AM. Reason: title
    "I have never exploded. But I know what it would be like. Don't ask me how. I just know. I've always just known." -Garth Merenghi

I wouldn't buy a used beacon from anybody but someone that I knew well and trusted unequivocally. And even then I would think twice about it.

I understand that, makes good sense, I know used isn't the best but there are some folks on here I certainly do trust that much, but not many. Really more interested in good deals around the web/local shops if anybody has seen them.
    "I have never exploded. But I know what it would be like. Don't ask me how. I just know. I've always just known." -Garth Merenghi

I have some used bacon...
    Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    So there I was McGoverning down the mountain but I McConkeyed the hell out of a Morrison and landed on my Harrisons. Just then I Skogened off a Tuffelmire but hit my McMurray into a Holmes. As I came to the Burke I Steele Spenced over a Moles and stopped on a Krietler. Then I saw Gaffney, and then two Gaffneys, but they Moseleyed me into a Hall. So I said, "Pep!!" and Saged on out of that Thovex.
    Poetry, on motion.

Quote Originally Posted by GapersGoHome View Post
    I have some used bacon...

As long as it's still fatty/greasy dibs...

My company does snowmachine tours in the winter and has each member of the group wear a beacon. These are DTS tracker beacons and they've realistically only been used about 5 times. They sell the used ones each summer and buy new ones each winter. I think they're going for $200 but I'll find out if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    My company does snowmachine tours in the winter and has each member of the group wear a beacon. These are DTS tracker beacons and they've realistically only been used about 5 times. They sell the used ones each summer and buy new ones each winter. I think they're going for $200 but I'll find out if you're interested.
    Dude yeah im sure many are interested in that kinda deal here....

Get some details I bet you can help that company sell them all right here and QUICKLY!

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    why do they discard them every year?

TCSAR might have some used Trackers for sale. We're working on switching the whole team to Pulses. Not really sure what we have left but I could look into it if anyone is interested.

RTR is offline Shumanitutonka Ob' Wachi
    Quote Originally Posted by Wandrin* View Post
    I wouldn't buy a used beacon from anybody but someone that I knew well and trusted unequivocally. And even then I would think twice about it.
    Personally, I believe any beacon (new or used) should be tested and practiced with. I would trust a used beacon (as long as it's not destroyed) as much as any out of the box once I've had a few sessions with it, and it works... I suppose the source would have to my considered, as well.

Just MHO.
    Click here to increase your vocabulary.

Quote Originally Posted by gpetrics View Post
    The boss likes to have new ones every year for the clients. No other reason

Got 5 or 6 available. Lets call it $225 shipped PM me for info.

Quote Originally Posted by gpetrics View Post
    Because the clients are actually apes and even though they've only been used 5 times, everyone thought it was fun to bash them with rocks.

I'd say a used beacon is good to go if its passes a visual inspection and gets a bunch of practice searches. I'd be looking for corrosion in the battery compartment, cracks, deep scratches that indicate rough use etc etc

On the same lines: I wouldn't trust a brand new out of box beacon that I never put through its paces.

The first thing that I would look for on a used beacon is to make sure that it is sending properly and the signal can be received and processed by both digital and analog beacons.

On older analog beacons (i'm looking at you, yellow rectangle Pieps), the signal can wander off of 457 or whatever it's supposed to be and confuse the fuck out of a newer digi beacon. Be sure to check that! Your status as a not-corpsicle may depend on it.