Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Thx, supermoon

Good luck AC! Been there before with the microdiscectomy as a last resort.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    I had what I thought was a back spasm a week ago Friday that accelerated over the week
    Years ago the doc told me that "spasms" and sore back were all accumulative injuries of a more severe problem developing. Makes sense. Mine were getting more and more frequent over the years. Be grateful you didn't get sent to therapy.

Good luck

Shit! Takes a hefty scorpion to do that. Im guessing you had some numbness down your leg that made them decide to go in right away. Sounds weird but ive seen that it can be a good thing to have it be severe enough for an op. It seems if they prescribe a wait and see approach with a physio schedule as a first measure and that stabilizes things , rather than an op, it often leads to continual maintenance program. Then ive seen friends that get a discectomy and they end up much more stable after there recovery physio. Fingers crossed and a good chance that happens for you. I can empathize. Wishing you the best

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Bulged/Herniated Disc advice?

^^ this is me. Herniated my L5S1 in a ski crash 15 years ago. Hasn’t been bad enough for surgery, but it’s constant work to keep up with it, and every 2 or 3 years I tweek it and am laid up for 3 or 4 weeks

Good luck with the recovery, AC

I have a similar story to Supermoon but it acts up more often on me. Neck pain too. In the process of seeing if chronic lymes disease has anything to do with my chronic pain condition for the past 7-8 years.

Good luck ac. I prescribe lots of tgr posting as part of your recovery regimen.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

AC, So sorry to hear this. Good luck in your recovery. Keep us posted. My lower back pain has been getting progressively worse and getting my first MRI on it Wednesday. Petrified about getting surgery but I have already lost basketball and golf in the last 2 years .
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Years ago the doc told me that "spasms" and sore back were all accumulative injuries of a more severe problem developing. Makes sense. Mine were getting more and more frequent over the years. Be grateful you didn't get sent to therapy.

Good luck
    Mrsacinpdx & I had that conversation this weekend: was I a ticking time bomb?
    Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Shit! Takes a hefty scorpion to do that. Im guessing you had some numbness down your leg that made them decide to go in right away. Sounds weird but ive seen that it can be a good thing to have it be severe enough for an op. It seems if they prescribe a wait and see approach with a physio schedule as a first measure and that stabilizes things , rather than an op, it often leads to continual maintenance program. Then ive seen friends that get a discectomy and they end up much more stable after there recovery physio. Fingers crossed and a good chance that happens for you. I can empathize. Wishing you the best
    This is pretty spot on for how I feel. I’m glad there’s a proactive plan and I won’t be just in wait-for-it-to-go-away mode
    Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    ^^ this is me. Herniated my L5S1 in a ski crash 15 years ago. Hasn’t been bad enough for surgery, but it’s constant work to keep up with it, and every 2 or 3 years I tweek it and am laid up for 3 or 4 weeks
    Yep, it seems once you’re on the program it will somehow always be there to deal with in some way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    Good luck with the recovery, AC

I have a similar story to Supermoon but it acts up more often on me. Neck pain too. In the process of seeing if chronic lymes disease has anything to do with my chronic pain condition for the past 7-8 years.
    Sorry to hear...it really is frustrating to live with...!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ski to Be View Post
    Petrified about getting surgery but I have already lost basketball and golf in the last 2 years .
    I will say I’m one for one on this type of surgery so far. 15 yrs ago, I did L4-L5. It gave me back a lot of life. I’m optimistic for this one to do the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Good luck ac. I prescribe lots of tgr posting as part of your recovery regimen.

Thanks, all, for the words of encouragement!

Quote Originally Posted by 2bjenny View Post
    Good luck AC! Been there before with the microdiscectomy as a last resort.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ski to Be View Post
    AC, So sorry to hear this. Good luck in your recovery. Keep us posted. My lower back pain has been getting progressively worse and getting my first MRI on it Wednesday. Petrified about getting surgery but I have already lost basketball and golf in the last 2 years .
    This was me! Was petrified and in denial that it was my back since all my pain was in my hips. I thought I had fractured my hip from a lot of running. Doc said I was still within the window for successful surgery, so he had me schedule it "just in case" since his schedule was booked 1.5 months out and I was still in denial. From my MRIS, the they couldn't believe I was even walking, so I must have a lot of space around the nerve.

By the time the surgery date came around, you could not have paid me to leave the hospital without getting surgery. Mine was bilateral, L4-L5, L5-S1. The L5-S1 was apparently an old injury that had I guess shifted when I injured the other, the disc material was fused to the nerve. Took them four hours of slowly scraping it away to clean it up. It was so nice to wake up not in pain. I am lucky that mine was only 5 months of pain, injured in November, surgery in March. I still have to be careful and can aggravate things, but never as bad as before.

Out of surgery

I’m sooo fucking happy it is done

Totally worth it

More later

F thats quick. Just talked to a buddy tonoght who had it done. He struggled for years before getting it done. He saod it was tge best decision he made. Pain free after years. Still pretty fresh and playong it cautious but he is beyond stoked

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Doc said it was way worse than mri showed

Out of surgery

Totally worth it

More later
    Good luck with the recovery, A. Rooting for you. Keep up on the PT

Out of surgery

Totally worth it

More later
    That’s the best feeling, to not have that pain anymore! Take it easy with the recovery and follow the PT !!

Heal up quick, ac!
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Bulged/Herniated Disc advice?

The surgeon did do the microdiscectomy in addition to the left lateral recess decompression. This is a fragment that was removed.

mrsacinpdx tells me the white bit is ligament and the red bits are disc [edit] it is all disc; I pancaked the disc, and this is the chunk that got squeezed out of the vertebral space (per my neuro follow up)

Any of the resident dental anatomists have additional info?

I had so little time with the surgeon afterwards so I don’t have TR worthy info on the procedure itself

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1517.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	145.5 KB 
ID:	289986

I am still in pain but having daily positive progress with movement. The muscle relaxer meds are making me fuzzy. I’m off opioids. I’m going to re-assess pain next Monday and maybe ask to get off the relaxer and go au natural from there on.
    Last edited by acinpdx; 09-03-2019 at 08:58 PM.

Eww, spinal bits

Almost 4 months out for me. Feel great. I started doing straight leg dead lift with 20 or 30 pounds. It's really affective at getting where i need strength. I can walk fast now and almost run at times but still weak. Swim, walk, weights, yoga. All in moderation.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Almost 4 months out for me. Feel great. I started doing straight leg dead lift with 20 or 30 pounds. It's really affective at getting where i need strength. I can walk fast now and almost run at times but still weak. Swim, walk, weights, yoga. All in moderation.
    “almost run”, huh?

That doesn’t sound auspicious for my targeting ski season...

Glad stuff continues to go well for you! Keep it up!

I could ski when I could barely walk and wouldn’t even think about running. So I’m way ahead in that respect. I need more rotational stability before I’m comfortable thinking about skiing. Thanks

just re-booked the now aborted Scotland trip -- the financial fucking on this back episode is going to be intense!

(at least the wife conceded that she would not cheap out on non-refundable tix again...)

Officially giving up meds today...I reviewed it w/ the doc’s office

Hopefully this marks a good threshold for new range of movement

Officially giving up meds today...I reviewed it w/ the doc’s office

Hopefully this marks a good threshold for new range of movement
    Don't be a hero. Pain is bad.