Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Thanks. Right now is not much worse than pre-op so I’m almost on house money.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Oh yeah I know they are probably acting but it still helps. I'm a funny guy though! Neuro pretty quiet and he's not even there till I'm gone. Saw him for less than a minute in prep. I'm ok with the whiskey and the docs are a separate deal. Was thinking about the whole gaggle of nurses and techs in the surgery center so a Panera card lets them get a big box of pastries, quiche, cookies, etc. They have a great cinnamon bun.

I hope they made fun of me. Being an old coach if they aren't making fun of you they probably don't like you.
    Ha--whatever they get from Panera will last about 5 minutes. OR people will eat anything--someone's leftover cold soggy fries, 5 day old donuts, anything.

One of my hernia operations something they gave me made me talk uncontrollably. I knew I was making no sense but I couldn't make myself stop. Finally they got sick of me and gave me something that shut me up.

There were patients I could joke with and patients I couldn't--I think I was a pretty good judge of which was which, at least I hope I was. I certainly enjoyed seeing and operating on the former.

Bulged/Herniated Disc advice?

Went for a short walk today. I’m weak and tired but did not have the creeping numbness in my leg.

I also need to stop taking the Norco. It’s been one week on it. Last night I started having hearing hallucinations and half asleep strange dreams that were too real. It’s cool though. I can stop cold as long as pain is reasonable.

Last edited by 4matic; 04-15-2019 at 03:50 PM.

Longer walk yesterday and lot of sitting. My leg pain is 90% gone. I have low back weakness but the nerve pain is mostly gone. Only a week out of surgery. I did take a couple norco this morning because the low back muscles were pretty tired and sore and wanted to avoid spasms. My legs had a nice warm feeling this morning and especially my numb leg which is still weak but the tingling and numbness is clearly better. So far so good. Typically after a walk my left calf would be a painful knotted mess. Today not sore at all.

Went for a short walk today. I’m weak and tired but did not have the creeping numbness in my leg.

I also need to stop taking the Norco. It’s been one week on it. Last night I started having hearing hallucinations and half asleep strange dreams that were too real. It’s cool though. I can stop cold as long as pain is reasonable.

I was on a shit ton of oxycodone after my recent crash and I started dreading falling asleep because I would wake up in a panic. I was glad when I was able to start cutting back. Being able to shit is nice too.

Keep after it 4matic. I’m with OG...being able to shit is nice!

Thanks Moose, I'm on my third box of Dulcolax in ten days. It definitely helps and let that be a warning to anybody that needs to use Oxy and the like. Plan ahead! Still a struggle if you don't watch what you eat. Mostly off the Norco but yesterday was a full day on so I could rest and sleep. It worked. Feel good today. I did wake up in a panic once though..lol. A cocktail of a Norco and a couple Aleve seems to work best. For today it's just Aleve. Still having trouble getting my left leg to work right but it's way early to worry about a separate neuropathy and the lower leg pain is gone.

Thanks Moose, I'm on my third box of Dulcolax in ten days. It definitely helps and let that be a warning to anybody that needs to use Oxy and the like. Plan ahead! Still a struggle if you don't watch what you eat.

Nothing notable on my first follow up. PA recommends take it easy a couple more weeks so no serious rehab. Stationary bike, walking, careful with even lite weights. No twisting mostly due to the wound not completely healed and can still tear open.

Take it easy for sure. Let that wound heal, you do not want an infection. Congrats on the promotion to lite weights. Celebrate the victories. Happy healing!

Good luck with your recovery. I know you are an avid golfer and that has to really suck. I have had recurring episodes of back pain for years and have heard too many nightmare stories about back surgery to go to the doctor. Had to limit golf, and almost quit basketball. I lost 30 pounds and have been doing a lot of yoga but I have to very careful about my posture and chairs and car seats or the pain comes back like a freight train. Weirdly zero rise shoes have helped a lot by keeping my calves loser which has helped with tight hammies
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

Thanks. Golf is a luxury I miss but I had largely stopped playing to stay functional for other things...like walking and ski which I could still do. Had I been able to stay functional I probably would have just quit golf. For me it was leg pain. “Sciatica”. Back pain was not a major problem. The nerves got so bad I just couldn’t walk. Being in athletics for so long I know pain and I knew two years ago that no therapy was going to fix it. The final straw was I couldn’t feel my foot in the boot. Ski and Snowboard just wasn’t fun anymore. So lucky to find a doc that believed me and willing to fix it and insurance for easily approving. Go to a Neurosurgeon for back pain!

I renewed my Ikon Pass today and I’m going to start putting tomorrow. If I get second chance I’ll be forever grateful and will surely find a way to pay it forward

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Second the prunes. My colorectal surgeon partner considered them the best treatment for constipation. Bulk + laxative.
    Senna is good if the dulcolax alone isn't enough.
    They had me on dulcolax, plus senna, plus miralax, and other stuff too disgusting to mention in a family forum and it still took 5 days for a decent shit.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    <snip> still took 5 days for a decent shit.

Today, I had probably the best (3 mile) walk in 3+ years. Still some weakness in my calf but mostly on flat surfaces. Virtually no back pain. Yesterday I went to the gym and did an almost a complete weight circuit for upper and lower, arms and legs. It really helped!! It seems to have stabilized some of the weak muscles from surgery. I have to be very careful with amount of weight and range but I'm really optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Bigger. Plugged the sewer, had to dig it out and replace it, first day home from the hospital. (OK, it was mainly roots in a broken cast iron line but the giant shit didn't help any.)

One month post surgery. Left Lower leg still numb but no real pain. I think this is called Radiculopathy. The nerves aren’t talking to the muscle so they just don’t work. It can get better or not..

I’m getting gym strength back with the exception being leg press or squat. I can only do 30 pounds assisted squat comfortably. Low back structural strength is still very weak. I more fatigue and I’m back to near full strength on upper body workout. The wound still hurts and has to be padded and taped.

Congrats on fewer restrictions and getting back to strength training! Hopefully with time those nerves will start firing again. Keep after it...slowly!

Keep moving that leg in the squat movements (no weight of course)...those nerves will get the idea eventually

I’m doing a lot of walking. The lower leg is getting better (sometimes). It just feels so weak. I know that I need to keep trying to walk and exercise those muscles to train, prevent fibrosis and further atrophy. I was able to roll my bad foot in a normal walking gate yesterday. It was tough but I maintained balance.

For a few years I’ve been having recurring problems with tingling and twitching on my whole left side. Face included. The symptoms are similar to onset of MS. Lucky me too old for MS. I suspect my whole nervous system has been affected. Of course I was hooked on Ambien at the worst point.

Also, my reading said that nerves regenerate down their path at about an inch a month. So it could take a while but I remain optimistic.

One way massage down the nerve also helps relieve the muscle spasms from the nerve not firing correctly to the muscle. It’s crazy sometimes when I squeeze my calf the whole lower leg is quivering.

Back is good. No pain on extension. Leg pain is 80%+ better. It even leaves my mind occasionally. Can’t remember the last time that was.

Thanks!

I’m doing a lot of walking. The lower leg is getting better (sometimes). It just feels so weak. I know that I need to keep trying to walk and exercise those muscles to train, prevent fibrosis and further atrophy. I was able to roll my bad foot in a normal walking gate yesterday. It was tough but I maintained balance.

For a few years I’ve been having recurring problems with tingling and twitching on my whole left side. Face included. The symptoms are similar to onset of MS. Lucky me too old for MS. I suspect my whole nervous system has been affected. Of course I was hooked on Ambien at the worst point.

Also, my reading said that nerves regenerate down their path at about an inch a month. So it could take a while but I remain optimistic.

One way massage down the nerve also helps relieve the muscle spasms from the nerve not firing correctly to the muscle. It’s crazy sometimes when I squeeze my calf the whole lower leg is quivering.

Back is good. No pain on extension. Leg pain is 80%+ better. It even leaves my mind occasionally. Can’t remember the last time that was.

Thanks!

The nerve regeneration thing is mainly about severed nerves and from a practical standpoint applies to nerves farther out from the core--injuries closer to the core don't well, the regenerating nerves just have too far to go. In the case of compressed nerves--you're situationthe nerves beyond the compression are mostly intact, it's mainly the compressed segment that has to heal. Months at best, a year or even longer at worst for whatever recovery there's going to be.

30 minute spin went well. Can’t remember the last time I had good sweat. Maybe a year... After 20 minutes some aerobic balance came back and it was a good crank for ten minutes. Weight routine went well to. Added 10 pound inverted leg curl and 30 pound leg press. That’s about all the weight I can do comfortably that focuses lower back.

Lower leg started having pins and needles, mild spasms, and a weird vibration feeling. Hoping that’s a good sign for nerve function returning.

Five week follow up:

Clear for weight training with no spine compression or twisting

Clear for swimming

Clear for cycling

My numb lower leg "should" get better and 5 weeks is "nothing" in the healing of nerve compression. Continue with strength. He said it's a weird combination of strength and nerve recovery so stay after it.

Don't even think about golf swing for 4 months bu chip and putt ok.

Next follow up in 8 weeks.