Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Norway and Sweden beta

Was hanging out with some Norwegian relatives of mine this past week and they reminded me that they live up near Lillehammer.

Got me thinking about trying to ski the proverbial homeland this coming season and then got me thinking about looking into a whole Scandinavian jaunt (Norway and Sweden, at the least, maybe Finland, Iceland...and do they even have slopes in Denmark and Lapland?).

At any rate, was wondering if some of the Norsk Maggots could chime in with some beta on lift-served and BC options for Norway, Sweden, and points thereabouts.

Mucho gracias in advance!
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Wouldn't really bother with Finland... We do have some skiing in Lapland, but the goods are just better in NOR and SWE. At least one molehill in Denmark, but again nothing of any interest.

About every resort in NOR and SWE offers some lift-served BC... But the best lines might not be that obvious or that they're trashed already...

ScottyRottan lives around Lillehammer, so you should bugger him for the local beta.

My experience is further from the north (and also over half of it is pure bc, no lifts involved)... But if you happen to plan to visit Åre, SWE; Narvik, NOR; Riksgränsen, SWE; Lyngen, Norway - I can share some beta... For Narvik-Riksgränsen, you could also search for Villes TRs.
    Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier
    You should post naked pictures of this godless heathen.

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Stranda, Norway
    http://www.strandafjellet.no/Sider08...t.asp?lang=eng

Beautiful location, deserted slopes, great terrain, easily accessible back country, very welcoming people.
    Last edited by Mike Pow; 07-20-2008 at 02:01 AM.

If you have time, and the snow is right, a visit to Kittelfjäll could be great!

Here's a pic of the trail map.

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    Was hanging out with some Norwegian relatives of mine this past week and they reminded me that they live up near Lillehammer.

Got me thinking about trying to ski the proverbial homeland this coming season and then got me thinking about looking into a whole Scandinavian jaunt (Norway and Sweden, at the least, maybe Finland, Iceland...and do they even have slopes in Denmark and Lapland?).

At any rate, was wondering if some of the Norsk Maggots could chime in with some beta on lift-served and BC options for Norway, Sweden, and points thereabouts.

Mucho gracias in advance!

Just to make it clear for everyone Lappland is a province in both Sweden and Finland. In Sweden it makes for the most northern-western part of the country. And it holds Riksgränsen among other ski destinations. Which is a most of you are coming here. Also in that area you have Narvik as has been pointed out but also Björkliden and Abisko-Nuolja. Nuolja is a liftserviced inbounds offpiste. They groomed it for about 25x400m 2 years ago which was a first for some 20 years. You should try em all out. Easiest, but not cheapest, is getting a rental car in Kiruna or Narvik and just go to the place that has the best snow for the day. For good info on Narvik, pm arild.
    "The non progression of skiing has always been funny to me" - Mike Ranquet

When are you planning to come here? I would suggest to come in march or later. April or May are the best in my opinion up here. I'll be skiing in here in north from march untill end of the season, probably going to get season ticket to riksgränsen. if you decide to come to north also, let me know. I can show some good places, we could pic you up from Kiruna or Narvik to ski with us if you want. We can have Riksgränsen-mini with Arild And if we have as much snow as couple of past seasons, we do have some pretty good skiing in Finland also.
    This place rocks with good snow

http://www.metalfactory.org/videot/lyngennow3.wmv

A little movie made by some finns apparently, it's shot in Lyngsalpene.

Some pictures here

http://www.friflyt.no/index.php?page...rticlenr=53466

It's dark as fuck from Dec. 21 or so till Jan 22. That's when the sun comes back to us. We get the most amount of snow from feb to april.

Fom the town of Tromsø, you can get a boatride out there with a guide etc, there are also other guides doing tours around here.

http://www.msmg.org/text/view/1511.html

For instance.

As for maggots living up here, I don't know of anyone else but me and Goatboy. You can stay at my house for free, if you don't mind sleeping on the guest bed, we're getting a hot little chick in here in about 2 weeks time, and she is apparently single....

Happy hunting, toss me a PM if you want more info, ill dig it up.

EDIT: I forgot, our local mountain sucks assholes in hell. But on a good snowday, it's fun. Other than that, bring lots of Ptex .

Bring your skins if you want to do the most awesome skiing up here. Other than that, Riksgransen and Narvik are good for lift served BC.

EDIT #2: The Midnigsun dudes has a boat. But it's redonkolously expensive. Better to just get a hold of someone with a car and ride out there IMO.
    Last edited by wicked; 07-20-2008 at 05:48 PM.

Remember - Yurp is friggin' expensive for those of us using the US peso, and Norway is the most expensive country in Yurp. Plus, distances are not entirely trivial, especially if you're considering the far north like Riksu, Narvik, Tromsø the Lyngen, Lofoten, etc.

Lillehammer will melt out early - Scottyrottan will have the beta on that locale, but doesn't post here - he does on the hippy forum. Check out some of the TRs and discussions about Stryn.

Denmark is about as flat as Iowa.

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate View Post
    Scottyrottan will have the beta on that locale, but doesn't post here - he does on the hippy forum.

Ummn... yes he does... post here, I mean. Albeit it's been a while.

Lillehammer area

There are mostly groomers in the vicinity of Lillehammer. Olympic slopes in Kvitfjell and Hafjell can be nice if you're into that. I've got the impression that the terrain park in Hafjell is improving year by year if your into that. I don't ski in parks so, this is only my impression from reading ski mags. Otherwise Hafjell is very dull and flat. Kvitfjell is steeper but the forest is difficult to navigate for out of bounds and there's no reason to go to Norway to ski out of bounds in Kvitfjell. Also the ski patrol there are somewhat banning out of bounds in the southern area from the top due to previous avy accidents. What could be interesting is Skeikampen (45 min up Gausdal). The runs are short ca 600-900 vertical feet of interesting terrain. Lots of cliffs of various size. Take snow-depth into account (it doesn't snow that much annualy in the area around Lillehammer). Hemsedal has a lot more to offer for out of bounds skiing and touring. 2.5 hours from Lillehammer. Probably someone else here to give beta on that. Further north there's Oppdal. Very varying conditions, sometimes great, sometimes totally crap depending on wind and of course snow conditions. Interesting terrain around 1000 vertical feet per run. Lots of small stashes that are difficult to give beta on. When conditions are good I prefer the Hovden area in Oppdal (there is also an area called Hovden a totally different place in Norway in case you google it). Good thing about Oppdal is that there is great touring terrain ca 45 min west towards the coast. Snows a lot more and the vertical goes up to ca 4800 feet. Popular tours are Dronningskrona in Innerdalen, Kirketaket in Isfjorden and Loftet in Eresfjorden. Powder season in all areas usually from mid December (very varying when the snow comes) untill late march, high alpine may-june. Alpine touring can be very cold due to low temperatures and windchill untill mid March when it usually starts warming up. Best touring season is mid March till end of May. Horrungane, west of Lom, ca 5 hours from Lillehammer offer great touring terrain. Drive to Turtagrø Høyfjellshotell. Road from Lom opens sometime in May. Generally, Norwegians are quite conservative when skiing on glaciers. Local knowledge regarding conditions and rescue equipment is essential, rescue is not close by as in the alps and the US. Norwegian skiing magazine, Fri Flyt www.friflyt.no, published a touring guide for the most popular tours in Norway some years ago. I don't know if there is an english version or not. Im planning to rent a cabin in Oppdal with friends from the university. We go on weekends and sometimes during the week if the conditions are good. We'll probably be renting from January through March. If you're interested in visiting, contact me later in the fall.
    Last edited by Pudderhora; 07-21-2008 at 03:35 AM.

I just came back from a non-skiing trip to Norway, half of which was spent up north in Tromsø and Andørja. It made me wish I had brought a pair of skis. There were still skiable lines in the surrounding mountains that I saw while hiking. Some relatives told me that March through May is a good time up north to tour for turns. Looked like there are an infinite number of side-of-the-road tours that you could do within an hour of Tromsø when the snow's there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate View Post
    Remember - Yurp is friggin' expensive for those of us using the US peso, and Norway is the most expensive country in Yurp.
    What he said, I was in Norway for the first two weeks of June and took a beating with the prices.

Examples: Two (below average) pizzas and 4 (below average) pints of beer = $125; a night in a youth hostel is $50 per person; an average hotel is $250-300 a night; two beers in Oslo is $25.

It is a great country, but unless you’re staying with friends/family I’d wait until the dollar is stronger.
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

Riksgränsen mini for the win! I´m in.

wow, thanks for the beta.

lot to digest.

and yeah, the dollar is horrible, but what can you do. the way things are panning out it doesn't look like it's gonna get any better.

good thing is i can roll easy on food, lodging, and drinking (i.e. i can go w/o beers for the most part).

anyway, much appreciated on the beta and offers for lodging. will keep y'all posted on my eventual plans (good to know to be looking at March - May), but this may be the year (especially since i just reconnected with the relatives).

Keep the suggestions and whatnot coming, too!

Off to Hood for the weekend to see what Oregon summer skiing is all about.

Kied is offline Inconsiderate Tree Killer
    Jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by arild View Post
    Riksgränsen mini for the win! I´m in.
    Yeah, we have to arrange this next season. At least I will be there often

BTW, are you going to get Riksgränsen season ticket, or just Narvik?

Quote Originally Posted by Ville View Post
    Yup... when does the resort open?

And unless I can think of something better to do, I'll head there for MayDay yet again...

Have also something else lined up in the vicinity earlier, so if Riksu is open I might just cram that in the schedule as well.

Quote Originally Posted by hemas View Post
    Yup... when does the resort open?

And unless I can think of something better to do, I'll head there for MayDay yet again...

Have also something else lined up in the vicinity earlier, so if Riksu is open I might just cram that in the schedule as well.
    They have usually opened around 8.2. or so. I'll be back from Japan 11.3. so after that I'm probably spending a lot of time around Riksgränsen. Going to check out Lyngen and Tamokdalen also, haven't been there before in winter.

They have usually opened around 8.2. or so. I'll be back from Japan 11.3. so after that I'm probably spending a lot of time around Riksgränsen. Going to check out Lyngen and Tamokdalen also, haven't been there before in winter.
    Gotcha... I'll keep ye guys posted...

As for L and T... T has more consistant snow conditions but L has the lines... Just beware the bushwackin' that usually is the norm for most of the lines in L...

If you want any ideas, I can share a few.

Tamokdalen = Bring avvy gear

all you hi-jackers seem to be dropping mention of special events (and it's all good about jacking the thread...the more "native" intel i can score, the better).

so, what are some key events that take place at the key spots in either Sweden or Norway (other than the big park style stuff i always read about).

i guess what i'm asking is now that y'all have given me the best months to make a trek, what are some special occassions I should perhaps plan a trip around.

oh yeah, i've been dying to try Hendryx Skis, so i'll prolly make a pit-stop in Swe to at least surf on some Rhino Chasers...

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    I spent Easter weekend at Stranda and it was great.

Seems that a lot of people return to their home town for the Easter holidays so there was great buzz in town.

The hotel I stayed at had special dinners and entertainment.

Presume this happens all over Norway at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    so, what are some key events that take place at the key spots in either Sweden or Norway (other than the big park style stuff i always read about).
    Scandihooligan Extreemo comps are held in ~mid May (Riksgränsen, SWE)... Stryn (NOR) summerski opens in late May or early June...

Not sure about Voss (NOR) Extreme Week (or what the hell it's called these days).

JOI, that big park thingy is sometime around late March me thinks (Åre, SWE)...

Skiing in general in Scandiland, I'd say mid March onwards would be about the best time. While pow might happen, it would be rare. But good corn and killer weather plus no one around on the lifts all point to that timeframe...

MayDay (~May 1st) is a big fest in whole Scandiland, lots of drunken Scandi-gals around everywhere... Good parties at the major resorts as well (that are still open). Most do close at MayDay though.

BTW, are you going to get Riksgränsen season ticket, or just Narvik?
    Going to help with laying the man-made snow before opening in Narvik, granting me a pass for both places, which is pretty cool.
    I don´t remember much of the opening of Riksgränsen this past season, but I believe it was somewhere around the midst of february. We were all very drunk. Very drunk.
    I´m 45 minutes away as of monday until Stryn time (late june, in my case) next year, so if my gas tank allows, I´ll be on call.
    I´m proposing we exchange contact details via e-mail again via PMs so all potential involvees can reach eachother, and a thread on the Riksgränsen mini 2009 can be started later, when we once again see snow, for booking of an apartment or a shitty hotel room(or more).

Seconding hemas on snow conditions. Late feb, most of march seems to be the golden snow period. And it starts to get lighter...

Events

Touring camps in Norway arranged by Norwegian ski mag FriFlyt:
    http://www.highcamp.no

Freeride comps:
    http://www.norwayfreeridecup.com/

Mayday in Hemsedal is supposedly a blast

St Hans (midsummer) - June 20 something at Stryn summerski is good for the party. Snow and weather can be dodgy. Stryn is best for freeride from it opens untill early June.

As mentioned before opening weekend at Riksgränsen is a lot of fun, but may not provide you with too many memories...

Kvitfjell has arranged DH and SG World Cup races the last years, I think this is usually around end of March. Unfortunately, it seems the PR people aren't that sustainable at bringing in the big crowds every time. But it could be fun to watch if you're around. Kvitfjell is 45 min north of Lillehammer by car.

Rally Norway:
    http://www.rallynorway.com/en/
    Last time it was a big success. This is winter rally on snow and ice. A lot of the stages were close to Lillehammer last time.