cryo cuff and passive range of motion

I just had surgery today for a blown acl and I was wondering if I should keep the cryo cuff (basically ice) on while to do exercises like leg lifts, isometric contractions and heel slides/passive rom device or should I take it off as it might keep things too stiff?
    "I have never exploded. But I know what it would be like. Don't ask me how. I just know. I've always just known." -Garth Merenghi

Take the cryo cuff off for ROM and excercises. Also, do NOT keep the cuff on for more than 20-30 minutes at a time, you'll reverse the effects and cause dilation and more bloodflow. Take it off for 20-30 then put it back on.

+1 ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Plus at 30 minutes it needs new cold water anyway. I don't think you could do damage based on how it gets luke cold in 25-30 minutes.
    Last edited by Buzzworthy; 07-21-2008 at 03:08 PM.

what Nads is talking about is the Hunting effect. Basically the body will respond to prolonged cold with vasodilation in an attempt to rewarm the area. Think survival mechanism so the body part doesn't freeze. It may or may not be a factor with cryo cuff as it does warm up fairly quick if the water is not circulated. More likely to happen with freezer packs/ice packs ice water immersion etc.

anyway take it off to do your exercises. Ice when you are done.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

thanks for the tips, my system has stayed pretty darn cold but it gets fresh ice whenever it needs and has been a lifesaver... on another note I had my first shower today... HOT DAMN!
    "I have never exploded. But I know what it would be like. Don't ask me how. I just know. I've always just known." -Garth Merenghi

Another reason to not leave the Cryo-cuff on too long: it can get pretty warm (like, if you fall asleep with it on, whoops). Obviously the warmth doesn't help with swelling.

Yeah, I've learned to make sure it has lots of ice and to take the cuff off immediately after use to keep it as cold as possible. On another note is there any risk in ripping sutures out of the entrance sites while doing cpm... like if I do too much, or go too far can they pop out? Should have asked the doc but I was too excited when he said I could shower to think of anything else...

Dude tell me about it, after having an infection post operatively in my R knee after an acl repair due to blistering from ice applied directly on the knee in PAR I am SUUUUUPER careful about icing, and showering, and keeping the wound sterile now. I waited a full week to shower this time, rather be stinky than go through 8 weeks of 3x daily vancomycin infusions via PICC line. Sponge baths for the win.. check the thread about it.

Quote Originally Posted by bubba-k View Post
    Yeah, I've learned to make sure it has lots of ice and to take the cuff off immediately after use to keep it as cold as possible. On another note is there any risk in ripping sutures out of the entrance sites while doing cpm... like if I do too much, or go too far can they pop out? Should have asked the doc but I was too excited when he said I could shower to think of anything else...

I wouldnt worry about that. the cpm machine will not allow you to go far enough to rip out sutures. they will be out in a week anyway, you wouldnt progress that far to worry about it. keep bending!

Good, to hear, I found out yesterday that my sutures are going to dissolve and I won't have to go back in to get them out so that is good. But right now I am on the beginning of day 4 post-op and I'm about 0-90 ROM which seems pretty good. Anyone know what type of ROM is needed for an average gait? How about ROM needed to start the stationary bike? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by bubba-k; 07-22-2008 at 10:09 AM. Reason: sp

Quote Originally Posted by bubba-k View Post
    Good, to hear, I found out yesterday that my sutures are going to dissolve and I won't have to go back in to get them out so that is good. But right now I am on the beginning of day 4 post-op and I'm about 0-90 ROM which seems pretty good. Anyone know what type of ROM is needed for an average gait? How about ROM needed to start the stationary bike? Thanks in advance.
    0-90 is great for 4 days out. you need about 115-120 in order to comfortably ride a stationary bike. around 110 you can ride, its just a little painful. as far as gait goes--extension is more important and you would want both your legs to match in rom.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodlandclown View Post
    0-90 is great for 4 days out. you need about 115-120 in order to comfortably ride a stationary bike. around 110 you can ride, its just a little painful. as far as gait goes--extension is more important and you would want both your legs to match in rom.
    I think I'm in the "painful" stage of bike riding now...I previously really looked forward to being cleared to ride a bike, but since I can't even really get my heart rate up the way I'm doing it, I'm not really looking forward to it. No resistance, and I'm going so slowly the computer doesn't register the fact that I'm peddling. But I'm going!

Quote Originally Posted by fallin View Post
    I think I'm in the "painful" stage of bike riding now...I previously really looked forward to being cleared to ride a bike, but since I can't even really get my heart rate up the way I'm doing it, I'm not really looking forward to it. No resistance, and I'm going so slowly the computer doesn't register the fact that I'm peddling. But I'm going!
    the more you do it, the easier it gets. really helps with ROM, so keep working on it.

Keep up the good work fallin! It definitely gets easier. My ROM is now at 145 and I feel minimal pain when riding the bike. Been increasing the resistance and time spent on the bike lately. I can hardly wait 'til I can get on a real bike again though. Getting so sick of being indoors on the stationary. Even with TV or music it's still really boring.