Thread: Joes Garage

Joes Garage

Working late at the office, and damn is that one of the best, most underappreciated albums of all time.

Act I is unreal. I remember when that needle first hit the groove after the trip to the record store, and it was like "holy fuck"

Wikipedia Summarazes it thusly:
    Act I
    The opera begins with the Central Scrutinizer's introduction. He explains that his job is to enforce laws which will be passed in the future—including the coming total illegalization of music. The Scrutinizer offers a "special presentation to show what can happen to you if you choose a career in music." He then introduces the opera's protagonist, Joe. Joe used to be a nice boy who would cut his neighbors' grass until he discovered rock music, then he would spend all his time playing loud music in his garage, where the neighbors would often call the cops on him. A "friendly counselor" at the police department tells Joe he should "stick closer to church-oriented social activities." Joe finds a new girlfriend named Mary, with whom he would "hold hands and think pure thoughts." However, Mary, a Roman Catholic girl, abandons Joe in order to get a pass to see a band called "Toad-O" with whom she goes on the road—having sex with the band's roadies. Eventually, they abandon her in Miami when she is too tired to do anything.

Mary enters a wet t-shirt contest to try to make enough money to get back home. Joe hears of her exploits, becomes depressed, falls in with a fast crowd, and has sex with a girl who works at the Jack-In-The-Box named Lucille, who gives him an "unpronounceable disease" (alluding to the various sexually transmitted diseases with—to some—difficult to pronounce names) (though he claims it came from a toilet seat).
    But it is so much more.
    Musically, culturally, and pushing boundries.

gotta go, the Crew Slut is calling
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.”
    Hunter S. Thompson

don't get no jism on the sofa sofaaa

Down in Joe's Garage, we didn't have no dope or LSD, but a coupla quarts'a beer...

TURN THAT DOWN!

Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    HEY, SHE GAVE ME V.D.!!!!!

I love Lucille...

Another underappreciated Zappa (but my alltime fave)

Zoot Allures
    2-58

"He was such a nice boy...he used to cut my grass!"

Black Napkins...used to make me cry as a wanna be 16 year old guitarist.
    Still does.
    StokePimpin' ain't easy

It looks just like a Telefunken U47.

With leather?
    2-58

nothing like an album dedicated to the use of extra-terrestrial gratification devices... my favorite from joes is token of my extreme..
    "I have never exploded. But I know what it would be like. Don't ask me how. I just know. I've always just known." -Garth Merenghi

This is the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER. Joe has just worked himself into an imaginary frenzy during the fade-out of his imaginary song. He begins to feel depressed now. He knows the end is near. He has realized at last that imaginary guitar notes and imaginary vocals exist only in the mind of the imaginer. And ultimately, who gives a fuck anyway?! Excuse me. Who gives a fuck anyway? So he goes back to his ugly little room and quietly dreams his last imaginary guitar solo.

watermelon in easter hay = one of Frank's best solos

Quote Originally Posted by cdlv View Post
    watermelon in easter hay = one of Frank's best solos
    Not to start an FZ pissing contest cause it's all opinion anyways, and I'll start by saying watermelon in easter hay was one of my first favs and still ranks fairly high, but after getting more of his live stuff on disc I think it actually ranks pretty low compared to "going to kansas city in a minor" (imaginary diseases), "cosmic debris" and "whipping post" (does humor belong in music dvd), "bowling on charen" (trancefusion), "inca roads" (you can't do that on stage anymore vol. 2 I prefer to other versions), and tons of other rare live solo cuts. Sorry for the rant, but for anyone who is looking for more FZ these are some really good places to start, not too mention "Guitar" and "shut up and play your guitar" if you just want FZ solo goodness.
    "I have never exploded. But I know what it would be like. Don't ask me how. I just know. I've always just known." -Garth Merenghi

Thumbs up

They're pretty good
    musicians
    But it don't make no
    difference
    If they're good
    musicians
    Because anybody who
    would buy this record
    Doesn't give a fuck if
    there's good musicians
    On it