Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The interview advice thread

I have a pretty important interview tomorrow one that will be HUGE. So i am reaching out to the collective for solid advice minus shooting the hostage and pissing in the gas tank that is.

I've always been under the assumption that you should always wear suit and tie correct?

Any helpful ways not to present yourself like a bumbling jackass?

Things to talk about and shit you should definitely not talk about?

Thanks for all the help!

before an interview you should always do your research

this included finding out what business they do so you have good questions
    and searching this forum for the bunch of other threads just like this

Bring extra resume copies....they might have more than one individual interview you...i always liked to write all over the one given to me when I interviewed potential candidates. You don't want to expect THEM to make copies of it for everyone interviewing you.

WEAR A SUIT AND TIE...no matter if youre interviewing for a warehouse position or the CEO spot...you WILL make an impression and it shows respect.

Study up on the silly interview questions like "what is your greatest weakness". You want to answer with something that still makes you look good.

General Rules:
    1) suit and tie always
    2) Dress shoes with leather soles a a huge plus- they make the right soud when you walk on wood/tile/marble
    3) Be prepared with questions. I don't know the field you are in but in mine being able to ask questions is life so interviewers want to know how well you can do that. Warning though- don't ask about stuff you can't fake caring about- people see through that and you look stupid.
    4) Know what you did and what you learned from it. Whatever is on your resume - be able to explain it and tell them something good about it.
    5) Be nice, say Hello, say thank you and seem like somebody others wouldn't mind working with.
    6) If they ask- feel free to tell them about what else you like to do and explain it with honest excitement.
    7) Don't mention salary unless you are willing to not take the job if the offer is too low.
    8) ask about growth potential and company expansion.
    9) Make a funny if you can

edit: I totally second the bring extra copies of your resume and prepare answers to "so...what do like about this shithole/what bings you to this place..."

^That and read up about the company. Probably the most important thing you can do for the interview. Know what they do, where they do it, why, and how your experience and interests fit in with all of that. And yes, always wear a suit. I wore a very dressy suit and new heels to my interview, and I'm currently in the office wearing board shorts, flip flops, a tank top and a hoodie and not at all underdressed for my office. figure out the dress code AFTER they hire you. other than that, be personable, relaxed, confident, and you should do fine.

Quote Originally Posted by *alli* View Post
    I wore a very dressy suit and new heels to my interview, and I'm currently in the office wearing board shorts, flip flops, a tank top and a hoodie and not at all underdressed for my office.
    Wait, you work for TGR??

And be nice to the secretary/assistant. Actually i think i mentioned that in one of the other 8 threads on this...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

In my last interview I had a number of questions prepared for them. I wrote them down and had no problem looking at my notes and asking the questions (I didn't have them memorized). I also took notes when they were answering the questions. It showed that I was serious about their answers and that I cared about what they were saying. It was also a help because my interview was seven hours long and I interviewed with a number of different people/groups. It helped to have the questions written down so that I knew what I had asked already and what I had not. I repeated a few of the same questions on purpose to different groups and individuals in order to compare answers. I asked serious questions about program funding, capabilities, etc. Things I would be asking on my first day on the job anyway. I kinda took the approach/attitude of 'look, you are going to hire me because I am the best choice - answer these questions for me because I am ready to get started..."

And yes - do some research on the company.

Usually, near the end of the interview, the interviewer will ask if you have any questions. Ask at least one question. Make it good. Don't make it sound contrived.

Reeeeeeeeetainnnnnnnnnneeeeerrrrrrr!

Asking questions is key.....it can really take the heat off you you. Even simple ones like "...If i were to be hired what would a typical day be like for me"

....that and go in with the attitude that they need you more than you need them.....even if that isnt the case.
    let your tracks be lost in the dark and snow

Most important, be yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

x2 rontele's advice. Most interviewers are looking for basic knowledge, trainability, and cultural/social fit. These are the things you should be looking for too. Who wants to hate their (closer) coworkers' personalities?

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    Wait, you work for TGR??
    nope, just an extremely casual office. It was nice not having to buy any more "work" clothes aside from my few presentable interview outfits.

Quote Originally Posted by 72Twenty View Post
    In my last interview I had a number of questions prepared for them. I wrote them down and had no problem looking at my notes and asking the questions (I didn't have them memorized). I also took notes when they were answering the questions. It showed that I was serious about their answers and that I cared about what they were saying. It was also a help because my interview was seven hours long and I interviewed with a number of different people/groups. It helped to have the questions written down so that I knew what I had asked already and what I had not. I repeated a few of the same questions on purpose to different groups and individuals in order to compare answers. I asked serious questions about program funding, capabilities, etc. Things I would be asking on my first day on the job anyway. I kinda took the approach/attitude of 'look, you are going to hire me because I am the best choice - answer these questions for me because I am ready to get started..."

And yes - do some research on the company.

Word. I generally won't hire someone if they're not interviewing me, too. And I agree it looks good if you're of the attitude that the job is yours and you're ready to start that day.

Also, be confident but realistic. I'm more impressed by someone who's comfortable discussing their shortfalls than someone who "has none."

Finally, be ready for curveballs. I'll throw in random ass questions like "top three bands of all time," mixed in with the standard ones. I'm not looking for correct answers but it's interesting watching people react to the unexpected.

Finally, DO NOT mention "getting your foot in the door" unless it's obviously a stepping stone job like an internship or contract position. This simply tells me you're looking to move out of the job at hand as soon as possible. It's fine to say, "I can see myself at this company for a long time" but don't say, "I think it's a great way to get to (other position)."
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

I totally agree with reverend- Interview the interviewer. Hardest and best interview I ever had was when a guy just asked me what he could tell me.

x3 on interview the interviewer. Key points, from recent experience:

- know the company well, know what it does, how it makes it's money, what you'd be doing (to the best that it's possible to find out), who you'd work with, etc. and use that to ask questions
    - know you're resume and know standard interview question answers cold
    - be prepared for all types of interview styles (good guy bad guy, etc.)
    - be proactive
    I can't stress that last one enough. You can talk your way into a job by showing initiative, drive, understanding and a hunger to learn and start kicking ass tomorrow morning. That's how I got my current job. I put together a sample of work similar to what I'd be doing there and brought many copies with me, threw everyone off as I doubt anyone's done it before there. Instead of focussing on the standard questions they started asking me about what was in front of them and how I arrived at X and Y and why I thought that. Gives the interviewee the leg up as you're already prepared and you can start asking them questions. After 9hrs and 13 interviews that day I was offered the job at the end and started two weeks later.

If you show them that you want it, that you have the ability to do it, and you're not afraid to ask questions along the way you should be set. They wouldn't waste their time interviewing you if you didn't have the basic skill set necessary, now just show them you're the best guy for the job.
    It ain't about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward - Rocky

it seems common sense but I have been stunned how often people don't:
    shine their shoes
    clip/clean your nails
    shave
    shake hands like you have done it before and look me in the eye

in addition to the key ask questions advice above, take your cues from the interviewer. they want to know if you will fit in AKA be like them.
    so
    be like them.

A note to the "interviewing the interviewer" thing- whatever their answer is, follow it up with something like "that sounds really great, because I'm really interested in [whatever uninteresting thing you're talking about]. I did some work related to that back when..." Or if they talk about what the job would entail, say "I actually have experience doing that, because I [used to be a shepherd back in the Old Country and fucked sheep all the time [or whatever]]." You can use your questions to set up the interviewer, whatever they say, you more or less respond with, "Oh yeah, I'm really awesome at that and can help you right away." Tying it back to yourself and your qualifications totally works, you just have to be a little quick on your feet.

There are some long-ass threads on this subject if you search.

Bring coke and a sibling

Have the sibling do most of the talking (your too high on coke)

Just before you leave, explain; If you don't hire me- watch your back
    Hello darkness my old friend

Quote Originally Posted by skiaholik View Post
    x3 on interview the interviewer. Key points, from recent experience:

- know the company well, know what it does, how it makes it's money, what you'd be doing (to the best that it's possible to find out), who you'd work with, etc. and use that to ask questions
    - know you're resume and know standard interview question answers cold
    - be prepared for all types of interview styles (good guy bad guy, etc.)
    - be proactive
    I can't stress that last one enough. You can talk your way into a job by showing initiative, drive, understanding and a hunger to learn and start kicking ass tomorrow morning. That's how I got my current job. I put together a sample of work similar to what I'd be doing there and brought many copies with me, threw everyone off as I doubt anyone's done it before there. Instead of focussing on the standard questions they started asking me about what was in front of them and how I arrived at X and Y and why I thought that. Gives the interviewee the leg up as you're already prepared and you can start asking them questions. After 9hrs and 13 interviews that day I was offered the job at the end and started two weeks later.

If you show them that you want it, that you have the ability to do it, and you're not afraid to ask questions along the way you should be set. They wouldn't waste their time interviewing you if you didn't have the basic skill set necessary, now just show them you're the best guy for the job.
    didn't you just graduate college? did career services give you these nuggets of wisdom?

And Woodsy advice about shined shoes is the best advice in this thread yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

I graduated in 06, lived in Jackson for 2 seasons with a stint in Spain in between. Career services didn't help at all. Everything I learned I read, taught myself, or gathered from assistance from colleagues, friends and of course the ever helpful maggot collective. But ya, I'm a few months into my first "real job," got a great gig in a currently chaotic industry (Banking) with more firing than hiring with out the help of a recruiting department, off cycle.

So ya, those things I listed really do help.
    It ain't about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward - Rocky

When you are speaking, make sure you throw in lots of "like, you know's" about every other word. They will be impressed.

Like stated above, make sure your shoes are shined. I know a judge that evaluated lawyers by that. Ex military. And you never know if there is a military guy on the interview panel.

be a little tipsy. You will not be as nervous AND they will think that is your normal personality. This makes drinking at work much easier once your hired.

Make sure you don't ask what's blocked on the work computers.
    Kid I went to law school with actually asked "Do you restrict internet access..." that was a bad choice.
    Apparently interviewers don't want to think you need your dose of shavedasians.com to get through the day.

be clear, concise & assertive without seeming overbearing. a little nervousness is ok as long as it doesnt hinder you answering the questions. if we have 3-4 people with the same experience, whoever seems more personable generally gets the offer. and never bad-mouth former employers or start telling stories about your ex-gf or your various injuries and all the surgeries you've had. anything at all that indicates you've got too much going on outside of work that would affect what you actually do at work is a HUGE turn off. er, detriment.

Good luck today, dood.