Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: GOUT

Good luck mang. For me, colchicine was the best way to quickly get rid of all the pain, albeit with the shits. Allopurinol works great, i haven't had a flair in years [knocking wood]. Regarding your timing question of it hitting off seasons, i wonder if water intake drops in those times. I find low water intake can be a big trigger.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    Good luck mang. For me, colchicine was the best way to quickly get rid of all the pain, albeit with the shits. Allopurinol works great, i haven't had a flair in years [knocking wood]. Regarding your timing question of it hitting off seasons, i wonder if water intake drops in those times. I find low water intake can be a big trigger.
    Thank you. In regards to water consumption in off seasons, that's definitely something I'm now wondering, thanks for that.

Note to anyone new to colchisine - do not trust any fart. It is a liquid-pants-ruiner in disguise.

Never had gout, but I woke up to this, and I sorta want to take a sawzall to my foot.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6388.JPG 
Views:	152 
Size:	263.1 KB 
ID:	280763

Thats fugly

Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    Never had gout, but I woke up to this, and I sorta want to take a sawzall to my foot.

Name:	IMG_6388.JPG 
Views:	152 
Size:	263.1 KB 
ID:	280763
    Judging by the color and size and acuity, I would go to an ER asap. Is the swelling going up your leg?looks like it from the picture. Thinking clot, dvt.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by crashidy View Post
    Judging by the color and size and acuity, I would go to an ER asap. Is the swelling going up your leg?looks like it from the picture. Thinking clot, dvt.

Never went up the leg, it pretty much stopped at the ankle. Didn’t go to the ER but did make it in to my doc. She was 99% sure it is gout and gave me some anti inflammatories and took my blood. I’ll know for sure if it’s gout tomorrow but in the meantime the swelling and pain is way down. Good lord that was painful for a few hours though.

Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    Never went up the leg, it pretty much stopped at the ankle. Didn’t go to the ER but did make it in to my doc. She was 99% sure it is gout and gave me some anti inflammatories and took my blood. I’ll know for sure if it’s gout tomorrow but in the meantime the swelling and pain is way down. Good lord that was painful for a few hours though.
    Glad you got it looked at that is one mofo angry case of gout

Sorry to hear that, gout sucks. Do some reading on here, Spats has some insights that helped me. I had to switch over to red wine to keep my gout at bay, beer or fruity drinks and I’m asking for an attack. I was on allupurinol for a year or so, but found wine works. (I drink too much but that’s another story.)

Not sure what Crashidy is talking about as every attack I’ve had looks like that or worse.

Normal hand.

Name:	472E5823-0854-49B7-93CD-1221C3895185.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	474.1 KB 
ID:	280933

Gout fucked hand.

Name:	7F406749-96A6-45AA-8A83-91774660AB88.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	516.1 KB 
ID:	280934

After a fair stretch of no flare ups, I've been dealing with flares for the past two months. Beer/alcohol and a rich food weekend seemed to fire off the last one.....So, while looking at diet changes (no beer ) and trying to figure out clear triggers, I started looking at supplements that 'may reduce uric acid'. Are these just a waste of time and money or more in the 'can't hurt and might help' category? I'm first looking for adjustments before going down the Allopurinol road.

Arnica and CBD creams have helped to some degree as have NSAIDS which I hate taking regularly.

As an aside, I checked out a local dispensary and learned a little about terpenes and their potential benefits. It's interesting for a lot of reasons and might help others here. Many offer anti-inflammatory benefits and I assume contribute to the effectiveness of CBD, other products AND foods.

Name:	IMG_7774.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	973.9 KB 
ID:	299731
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Can’t say I’ve tried those particular supplements, but I tried a large number of other supplements like cherry extract, etc that were supposed to help gout. Nothing like that worked for me. The only things that worked for me are indomethacin for immediate relief and allopurinol for prevention. The other keys are to stay hydrated and lose some weight.

But if you find something else that works for you, great!

I get gout occasionally, mostly big toe but also ankle. 2 Colchicine, an anti-inflammatory, lots of water will resolve it in a couple days. Watch diet, especially beer as it is one of the biggest contributors. I keep a dozen colchicine tablets around and as soon as pain shows up, even 2 a.m. I pop 2, take a NSAID product, take another 6 hours later, drink lots of water and it improves. Doc's used to say keep taking colchicine every 6 hours but my last discussion revealed that 3 to 4 colchicine is all it takes and you don't have to load up til you get the shits.

Yep, colcicine until the allopurinol takes effect. Colcicine is stupid expensive in the USA due to a patent buyout, so order it from Canada on one of those online pharmacy sites that look sketchy. All the cherry juice, ACV, diet changing stuff hasn't made much difference for me. But definitely Fall season with increased IPA's, game meat, and hearty greens brings it on if I am not taking my Allopurinol. Once you're on it, keep taking it.

Had a gout attack recently, despite religiously taking my allopurinol. The place I was staying at happened have one of those hydration pee color charts posted, and yep my color was indeed well into dehydration territory. After drinking at least a gallon of water, the gout cleared up remarkably quickly. No need for indomethacin or NSAIDs, which is a good thing, since my doctor told me to treat those like poison.

So now, I have a new way to deal with gout. Just drink a bunch of water! Yeah, seems obvious in retrospect, but sometimes it takes me awhile to connect the dots.

Hi )

Quote Originally Posted by m0b839 View Post
    Hi )
    Can bots get gout? I hope so.

Gouch