Thread: Bozeman TR:

Bozeman TR:

Well do not have much time so this is going to be short and sweet.
    Left for the 'zone on 7/8. Buddy is building a new house so I spent Wednesday wiring it for Whole House Audio and a Theater. With work done we started the search on Thursday morning early. Went to hit the Madison below Quake lake, wanted no part of the shit show bumper boats at the normal float stretches. The Salmon flies were not that high yet but the fish were hungry, just tuned 'em. The wind began blow like 9000 so we went below the Ennis Dam. Fish were SUPER hungry there, wind blew like a mother there also. Most fish were 14-16" but stuck one nice 22.5" brown swinging a streamer late in the evening.
    Hit the Gallatin on Friday. Two words, SALMON FLIES. Hit high bridge below Big Sky and just fucked them up. Could have not timed it any better. Lots of fish around 14 and a couple big fish that hit the 19" mark which is huge for that river. We must of caught over 70 fish between us.
    Had to head home Saturday but fished the East that morning. Toughest fishing of the trip but still fished well. Was very surprised at how the high water this year changed a section of the river. Did not get any pigs that the river usually gives up, biggest one hitting 17.5". They wanted only tiny shit. Not many pics taken due to just hard core non stop fishing, no fucking around. My buddy has all pics on his camera so hopefully he will send some soon. Can't wait to get back down next year!

Craven Morehead Guest
    I want to see a picture of the ruler you used.......sure you didn't grab the metric one by mistake?

Sounds like a pretty sweet way to spend a couple of days...Glad to hear you guys got it good!

Craven, you're just jealous of my skills. All large fish were measured on my net which has a 16" opening and then 2" integral marks out to the end of the handle which is 22". Plus I know all the local rivers around there EXTREMELY well, spent close to 10 years fishing them hardcore and know what they can produce. Those are not even the biggest fish I have caught on those rivers.
    igBand, sorry we never ran into each other, looked for ya everywhere we went. From the sounds of your report you did well also. The Salmon Flies should be above 3 Dollar any day and that stretch is awesome since no boats and mainly lazy people. A little birdy told me the Jellystone should be on fire any day, turning greener and dropping by the minute.

Craven Morehead Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Craven, you're just jealous of my skills. All large fish were measured on my net which has a 16" opening and then 2" integral marks out to the end of the handle which is 22". Plus I know all the local rivers around there EXTREMELY well, spent close to 10 years fishing them hardcore and know what they can produce. Those are not even the biggest fish I have caught on those rivers.
    igBand, sorry we never ran into each other, looked for ya everywhere we went. From the sounds of your report you did well also. The Salmon Flies should be above 3 Dollar any day and that stretch is awesome since no boats and mainly lazy people. A little birdy told me the Jellystone should be on fire any day, turning greener and dropping by the minute.
    Oh I believe you. Sure you weren't poaching Anceney's pond?

Quote Originally Posted by Craven Morehead View Post
    Oh I believe you. Sure you weren't poaching Anceney's pond?
    Anceney who?

2Funky - I looked for you guys too but never seemed to cross tracks with that green Dodge. Definitely get in touch next time you are in town. Happy fishing and have a great summer.
    P.s. Glad you are hearing good things about the Jellystone...we're planning on being it all day next Thursday. I'm hoping it catches fire and stays on fire.

Craven Morehead Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Anceney who?
    Chuck and Polly Anceney (axtell-anceney,anceney road) owned a place just north of the entrance to big sky. They had a spring creek that they had dammed and stocked with HUGE Kamloops These fish were 15 lbs easy. I would fish it for fun every once in a while. What was funny is guides would bring clients there when the owners were gone. I just laughed - weren't too good of guides to have to resort to aquarium fishing. I don't know who owns it now.
    Occasionally Chuck would release a few of the big fish into the Gallatin and you would hear about someone catching a monster rainbow in the canyon.

Ever fish 16 mile?

Here you go.......quite the man:

http://www.lonepeaklookout.com/artic.../news%2002.txt

Craven: I think your sarcasm meter is broken. Do you think that I would live and fish that area for so many years and not know this? You must of missed the wink after my question. I have gone to this pond many times and fed the fish to check out the big ones. Very nice people. Now quit being such a tool.

Craven Morehead Guest
    Sorry, I didn't see the wink......and I thought you were from Idaho.
    Actually I was surprised Chuck lived that long as he didn't seem in too good of shape when I moved from Bzn in 94. I assumed the property changed hands by now. His kids/kid still own it?