Reno mags - where to go?

I will be in Reno this weekend, but detained for most of Saturday and Sunday.

I want to do some exploring, but won't be able to get out until about 4pm. Should I just drive up to Lake Tahoe? I really haven't spent much time in Reno.

The best I can offer, free tickets to the Pro Wakeboard Tour for this weekend to anybody that helps me out.

Edit: Oh....my whole point being that I would like to get out and take some photos.

Are you bringing a tripod? Downtown Reno is interesting to shoot at night. Lots of neon and general sleaziness That is something that you could do after a trip to Lake Tahoe, Virginia City etc.

It's been super smokey for the past couple of days, so that kinda sucks for landscapes. Should make for nice sunsets though.

Oh man. Totally forgot about the smoke from fires. That should make for an interesting element. Believe it or not, we have been getting some of that smoke all the way up here in Portland.

If you guys are anywhere near Sparks Marina on Saturday or Sunday, tell the front gate that "Travis sent you to get change for a nickle." I should be there and save you $10 if you're interested in wakeboarding. Bring a friend, but don't bring 20.

Cool. Are you competing?

Quote Originally Posted by Junker View Post
    Cool. Are you competing?
    No. My forte is the frozen stuff.

Google maps never cease to amaze. I thought, just for the heck of it, I would check out Virginia City and see if there are any Street Views. Yes. And better still, the pictures have snow all over the place.

It got me thinking, I remember visiting some old mining equipment when I was younger, but I can't remember where it was. Some ghost town that is probably a tourist destination now. Anybody know what I'm talking about or have an idea of where I could head? I'd love to get some sunset shots with desert/mining equipment in the foreground.

You're not thinking of Bodie? http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=509

You should check out American Flats. http://www.flickr.com/photos/daerice...7594382404884/

American Flats on Google maps:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...=lmc:panoramio

It's not too touristy, and is an interesting place to shoot. It's not your classic mining relic though. It's from the 60's-70's and is covered in graffiti.

If I'm around Sunday, maybe we can meet up in the afternoon and wander around Virginia City / American Flats.
    Last edited by Junker; 07-10-2008 at 11:16 PM.

I think it must have been Bodie. My dad used to live in Gardnerville, it was probably 13 years ago. Only visited him once there and don't remember much.

The flats look pretty cool, but I won't have much time on Sunday. I fly out after the event, and I will be at the event until 4 ish. Saturday after 4 is my only real option.

I think I found my mark for Saturday though. The cemetery in Virginia City has an awesome looking tree. If that doesn't work out, I'm sure there will be other stuff.

Say hi if you make it by. I have a couple buddies coming, but they are gonna be more interested in gambling. I might just shoot downtown, but I've already been to Vegas this year and had my fill of neon.

Quote Originally Posted by 10% Groomed View Post
    I think it must have been Bodie. My dad used to live in Gardnerville, it was probably 13 years ago. Only visited him once there and don't remember much.

The flats look pretty cool, but I won't have much time on Sunday. I fly out after the event, and I will be at the event until 4 ish. Saturday after 4 is my only real option.

I think I found my mark for Saturday though. The cemetery in Virginia City has an awesome looking tree. If that doesn't work out, I'm sure there will be other stuff.

Say hi if you make it by. I have a couple buddies coming, but they are gonna be more interested in gambling. I might just shoot downtown, but I've already been to Vegas this year and had my fill of neon.
    The cemetery is a good stop. I think that VC is your ticket. There are a lot of interesting buildings etc. with in walking distance. Have fun!