Trigger pulled, Innsbruck, AU Dec. 26-Jan 2, need info

Looking for some beta information, decided to join my brother and his fiancee for a few days in Innsbruck. Wondering what areas maggots would recommend to visit that usually have consistent snow. Any info would be appreciated.
    ....and michigan still sucks

Hugh Conway Guest
    St. Anton is your best bet

pm me or keksie closer to the time. there is plenty to ski.
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

big old bump. i'm coming out of the woodwork on TGR and semi-retirement from skiing for a trip to innsbruck. life has kind of kept me busy as of late, and away from the mountains- but i'm excited for some vacation time.

me: fairly active 41 year old who used to ski lots, has made several life decisions based on skiing as a primary variable- will be arriving soon in innsbruck for six days of skiing. a rental shop named die boerse was recommended by the hotel... is that something/somewhere that a guy who last skied on some bd megawatts and has some backcountry experience would feel comfortable? i'm going full-kit rental i think, instead of digging my somewhat old/aged gear out of a basement. It's something like 60 euros/day to rent stuff, but i feel like this is my best option.

as for skiing... i have no expectations, but am only somewhat familiar with the area around innsbruck after some travels while much younger. only have skied on stubai as far as what'll be included with my lift pass, but was a student in munich and did get around a bit. it doesn't feel safe to think i'll be doing anything that'd require a beacon or skins, but if there's someplace that's less spandex and groomers and more low-traffic goods/deep snow that's more my scene.

where should i try to go and eat/drink while in innsbruck? we've got over a week, so i'm excited to have the chance to do some exploring. will be fun to dust off my rusty german language skills and be embarrassed as i'm instantly marked as an american. will do my best not to reek too much of my pittsburgh and yinzer heritage.

sorry to have been such a failed member of the mag community... sadly, it's pretty much because my employer has blocked the site and i'm too darn busy most of the time anyhow. thanks in advance for any help!!
    “Money has never been my god — never.” - The Chief

((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

If this is your first trip skiing in awhile you should do it right and skip innsbruck and head to st.anton. or spend at least part of your trip there. You can commute from innsbruck on train but it is over an hour.
    If you are committed to innsbruck then there are lots of options.

For rental equipment die boerse is the only place in town, but they are really cool. you can rent at the resorts but usually they wont have any specific equipment.
    https://www.dieboerse.at/concrete5/e...-rental-winter

the 60euro deal for everything will be difficult as the boards you get with, are beginner skis.
    it´s best you email them in advance and you can clarify what freerideskis they have and what you want.
    if you stay on pistes they will have the same.... it did not really understand what you want....
    no need to rent premium gear they will always have goodies from previous years in the middle price class.

avalanche beacon.... highly recommended if you leave the slopes in austria.
    avi level is really low at the moment. but nothing is patrolled/no ropes (this is today)
    https://avalanche.report/albina-web/...-01-24?lang=en

so you have to watch your on shit. but you can ride and climb anything you want.

there is also something like a 6day innsbruck superskipass
    https://www.innsbruck.info/skifahren...d-skipass.html
    all resorts around are included
    (Nordkette, Patscherkofel, Axamer Lizum, Muttereralm, Schlick 2000, Glungezer, Stubaier Gletscher, Kühtai, Rangger Köpfl)

https://www.innsbruck.info/en/skiing...-panorama.html
    here is the virtual map.

i think here you find all the info you need
    https://www.innsbruck.info/en/skiing.html

where to eat:

augustiner bräu (wiener)
    machette (buritto) cheap but good
    planötzenhof (closed on mondays and thursday) u will nit a cap 15euro one way! and you have to be there round 18:00 but it is the best schnitzel you will get around ibk. and it is a real farm where there own meat will be used in there restaurant etc...

yes the morning train to anton is cool. same as the morning train to kitzbühl

enjoy your time. good snowcover at all the resorts
    you can always ask later where to go

I’d do a day at Schlick in variable weather, small resort with pretty mellow terrain and trees. Khutai if the sky is clear, a day at Khitzbuel to ski a big resort. St Anton great too.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Nordkette first tram on a powder day. The fight to get up is as much an experience as glide down.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

thanks! just arrived and sorted out rental stuff at die boerse. snowed the entire drive from munich airport to innsbruck today. super excited. the advice is much appreciated!!!

do you want to hit slopes or trees?

ok. i can cycle in to town later around 20:30.
    pm me were and how to meet - your hotel or area you stay and i will meet up with you.
    if you can bring a paper copy of the all area map.... the one with all the skiareas. they have it in the lobby.
    i will draw you lines on all the areas than everything is easier...... otherwise i will write here about all the shit and things gonna be just complicated and hard to understand.......

one new run i discovered this season.... (ok usually low alltidude trees are impossible to ski on snow.... )
    i named it:
    "Mister Tree Missed a Tree" a friend pointed out it should be gendered so its now
    "Misses Tree Misstery"

When based in Innsbruck for a week I enjoyed St Anton and Kitzbuhel very much, however one of my highlights (to this day really) was jumping off a rock wall and skiing right off the top of Hafelekar down fall line for what seemed like a long time . Great run!!

Do they still have the "Fall means life danger" sign at the top? Enjoy the trip acostiga, and nice work nordekette stepping up to help a mag! Maybe we'll ski one day, I'd like to get back to that neck of the woods!
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    When based in Innsbruck for a week I enjoyed St Anton and Kitzbuhel very much, however one of my highlights (to this day really) was jumping off a rock wall and skiing right off the top of Hafelekar down fall line for what seemed like a long time . Great run!!

Do they still have the "Fall means life danger" sign at the top? Enjoy the trip acostiga, and nice work nordekette stepping up to help a mag! Maybe we'll ski one day, I'd like to get back to that neck of the woods!
    yes, i think that sign about falling is still there.

sorry not to have logged back on once we were going in town. the whole experience went by in a flash.

stayed at a place named grauer baer that was in what i thought was a great location. easy to walk to the nordkettebahn, and the bus from the hofgarten that took us to the area resorts. skied at axamer on day one, patscherkofel on day two, nordkette day three, and then also stubai. the weather was mostly awesome, except for the day up on nordketter. it was so socked in with fog that i only took one run from the top. yes, right from the top station it was steep enough to scare my ski partner off. i can see how that'd be so very awesome on a pow day. can't believe that's so accessible from town.

anyhow, getting back into the flow of regular life now- and breaking my 2yr old of all the bad habits introduced by gram as she graciously watched him while we were away in austria. but really want to put up some pics and write more about the trip. was so great to be in a mountain/ski environment like that again!

nordkette- so sorry that i didn't meet up with you. thanks very much for the generous hospitality. the trip ended up being packed with time either spent with my non-skiing wife (HAD to go with her to salzburg one day for a sound of music tour....) and enjoying the amenities at the hotel. rooftop hot-tub in the snow was awesome.

Back in college I went there with some friends and this was 35 years ago so....
    We stayed at the Hotel maximilian. it was nice. The package included family style dinner every night and it was awesome.

The American Bar was a blast.

Had jagertees on the slopes one day at axamer lizum (I think). they are way stronger than I anticipated. Don't ride a single chair after consuming a bunch of these. you may pass out on the chair, roll off like a sack of potatoes at the top station, throw up, and then ski off (not like a boss).
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.