Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Does anyone know about a separate kidney protector? As others have said the kidney belt moves around and isn't that much protection anyway. A bad kidney injury earlier this year (skiing) and another fall to the kidney this past weekend, has us thinking about it again. Can impact shorts be worn high to protect the kidney?

I was just auditing this thread but I do have a suggestion (my impact shorts for skiing have it built in although I don't use the feature cuz I don't need it but I digress):
    Velcro on your shorts & on the tail of the jacket/spine protector. Sew on one of the big old patches (hooks on the outside of your shorts, soft fuzzy facing in on the jacket)
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Summit, it's pretty rare for a biker to break their collarbone from a direct impact.
    My dad managed to (car hit him into the air, collarbone impacted tree), it ain't pretty, and I don't think anything is gonna brace enough against it breaking.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    ... it's pretty rare for a biker to break their collarbone from a direct impact.
    I had a direct impact . . . . with terra firma.

I don't remember who, but I bought a used Flak Jacket from somebody here. It looks pretty nice, but I didn't get a chance to use it. MiniGadget has assumed ownership and he loves it. He also has nothing else to compare it to.
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Science-fiction author Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by LaBelle23 View Post
    Does anyone know about a separate kidney protector? As others have said the kidney belt moves around and isn't that much protection anyway. A bad kidney injury earlier this year (skiing) and another fall to the kidney this past weekend, has us thinking about it again. Can impact shorts be worn high to protect the kidney?
    Check out motocross gear. I have seen some that have a decent amount of plastic. My armor has lousy kidney protection so I am also loooking at a separate belt.
    Quote Originally Posted by bptempleton View Post
    tit ass balls. that's a better sig. or fucktardnutz. YOU MUST NOW CHOOSE!!!!

I'm in my 3rd season with a 661 Pro Suit. Its like a knockoff Dianese, but with burlier mesh. Its treated me well and saved me from much nastiness. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

My philosphy on padded suits is this: Theres a lot of technique involved in succesfull crashing. Most of the elite athletes (riding and skiing) I know are really good crashers. The reflexes and awareness that allow them to be sickos at what they do also allow them to react, tumble, slide, adjust their body to minimize impact and damage when things go wrong. Obviously you can't control every situation like that, but when you have that chance, some body armor is going to give you a bigger margin of error when aiming for that soft looking spot as you are catapulted through the air. If I can tuck and roll over some rocks rather than auger in and straight smash myself, I want some pads on my forearms, shoulders and back that can protect my skin and bones from those impacts as I twist like a cat to deflect and deal with the larger problem at hand.
    I'm 33 and still riding like a kook when the time is right...I attribute a lot of that to the pads I wear and was wearing in the past when shit went wrong.

This could work...

Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by altagirl View Post
    And I've never found any armor where the kidney belt doesn't slide up on me as soon as I move. I'm not sure there's any way of getting around that, being a girl. I just put the belt on loose and low so it stays down over my hips. When I put it on tight around my waist, it jams the spine protctor up into my helmet and I can't move my head... or see. Which is really useful. And they all seem to do the same thing. I wish someone would make one where you could adjust the attachment point on the kidney belt.
    Just an FYI to the women -
    I finally tried out my new ladies' version of the Flak Jacket yesterday, and I'm happy to report that I didn't have the riding up problem with the belt. I have a pretty high waist and wide hips and the jacket stayed put all day long. I was also surprised how well it was ventilated. And the pink plastic is a nice touch.
    It's like I died and went to heaven, but then it turned out it wasn't my time, and they sent me to a brewery.

2009 BUMP

Anybody have any thoughts on 661's Long-Sleeve Pressure Suit? I can get it for $120 at BC.com.

Also, this is probably a stupid question, but do people who pedal up (1000 vertical feet+) to DH/FR terrain wear or carry pressure suits? Or are they primarily for shuttling/resort biking?

I'd definitely like to do some shuttle/lift-served DH this summer, but, for the most part, I pedal up to my descents.

Just an FYI for folks interested in 661 stuff.
    It is pretty easy to get a "sponsership" from them and it gets you 40% off -or more -depending on how much you race/ride or win.

I think they have an on-line form you can fill out.

I've heard good things about the Sette armor, and it's cheap as hell. The pressure suit version is 89, and they have a less-armored version for 69. For the money you can't beat it.

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    2009 BUMP

Anybody have any thoughts on 661's Long-Sleeve Pressure Suit? I can get it for $120 at BC.com.

Also, this is probably a stupid question, but do people who pedal up (1000 vertical feet+) to DH/FR terrain wear or carry pressure suits? Or are they primarily for shuttling/resort biking?

I'd definitely like to do some shuttle/lift-served DH this summer, but, for the most part, I pedal up to my descents.
    Go with the Pro Pressure Suit instead. http://www.sixsixone.com/Catalog_661...8-e971d4274cee. I owned the one you mentioned and it was never comfortable. I know of several others with the same experience.

And most people hiking or pedaling that distance aren't wearing pressure suits - usually just knee/ shin pads.

661 pro suit is pretty sweet. really like mine.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by altagirl View Post
    bags - if you're interested - I'm selling my Dainese Wave armor, which didn't get that much use.

It's super protective, but I didn't feel like I could move around in it as well as I can in the Fox Launch suit.

And I've never found any armor where the kidney belt doesn't slide up on me as soon as I move. I'm not sure there's any way of getting around that, being a girl. I just put the belt on loose and low so it stays down over my hips. When I put it on tight around my waist, it jams the spine protctor up into my helmet and I can't move my head... or see. Which is really useful. And they all seem to do the same thing. I wish someone would make one where you could adjust the attachment point on the kidney belt.
    i have the same kidney belt problem. i ended up ripping it off one day because i was so annoyed. to the woman's hour glass shape!
    what size is that dianese you're selling?

The 661 core saver is the shit.

Quote Originally Posted by beast View Post
    The 661 core saver is the shit.
    This one?

I've been giving some serious thought to the core saver. Not so much for racing, but for those days when I'm wearing knee and elbow pads.
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

I've been using the Azonic/O'neal "underdog' suit since 07. I've beat the snot out of it and its still going strong. No problems with mesh or padding or anything. at $160 Its cheap too!!

Last edited by shmoesmith; 04-23-2009 at 10:50 PM.
    "JONG!!!!!" is the sound a lift tower makes when a gaper runs into it.
    -Observed at Brighton, UT

Days on snow 2007/2008 season
    Backcountry: 11
    Lift served: 11

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorGadget View Post
    This one?
    Yeah. It is awesome because you maintain the mobility of no armor, but gain spine, kidney, chest, and minor shoulder protection. I'm definitely a big fan.

I know we've gone away from it some, but anyone considering the Leatt brace, DO IT. At least guys that ride DH. It took me one ride at the moto track to make up my money's worth. You can't put a price on being able to walk. For body armor, I like 661 stuff but make sure it fits! You want it pretty tight, elbow pads are worthless when they're not on you're elbows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powers
    That's how the plague started back in the day...from a little disgusting bird bath in someones back yard that rats made sex to birds in and created a whole new type of AIDS

I don't want to derail the pressure suit thing (I like 661 pressure suit- good price, good fit, good stuff) But I was wondering if anyone here used padded shorts. I have the old Red padded shorts and I hate them. I just want some padding on my hip for full DH days, and the red has padding every but there pretty much, are bulky and don't ventilate at all (=nastyness and stink anybody use the fox or anything else?

I ended up buying AG's Dainese jacket (money!) and also scored a Leatt. I've only got experience with my Z5, but I can't imagine anything fitting much better than the Dainese. I've read complaints about durability, but I believe this one is a moto version, and it's really stout. At the very least, it can't be any worse than my old armor. And, as Particle mentioned, it's nice and soft so no undershirt and no nip chafe.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

i use a pair of the padded shorts. i really like them. they have padding on the coxis and on the sides, which is nice. i have a pressure suit that i really like as well,

i love putting on my body armor, because i feel like i'm really big
    smile when you are going down, it looks more graceful
    dobish.blogspot.com Dynafit & O1 Adapter or AXL/2nd Ski Kit Sandwich Blog

Um, I feel compelled to bring this up: I don't think a jacket will do much. Kidney belt? Hah!! Protect from blunt force trauma?? Not a chance. And, hey, let's be honest, we are talking blunt force trauma here. It will protect you from that stick or rock puncturing your kidney or rib, but it's not doing much when you are flying through the air at 30mph. The force of impact may be transferred across an area, sparing you a fracture. Hell, I wear one. But, Please, don't ride outside your limits just because you have a jacket on.

On a lighter note, I took care of a patient a while ago that was coming home from work. No DH, no shuttle, no gap jump. Just commuting home from work. Tire hit a rut. Twisted his handlebar. Guy went up, bar-end went into his scrotum. When I pulled the dressing off, his testicle was hanging out of his nutsack (that's a medical term). I saw parts of a human I have never seen before.

Ride with care.
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

Quote Originally Posted by summitmtn420 View Post
    I was wondering if anyone here used padded shorts.
    I have a pair of Fox Launch shorts I wear on trail days.

I haven't had a chance to wear them yet, but I bought the 616 Bomber shorts for race days.

Quote Originally Posted by beast View Post
    Yeah. It is awesome because you maintain the mobility of no armor, but gain spine, kidney, chest, and minor shoulder protection. I'm definitely a big fan.
    I loved my Core Saver...a LOT...until last year when I hit a tree with my right shoulder going about 40 mph, and the bark ripped my skin apart, I dislocated my shoulder, and I have had muscle spasms in my back for almost 9 months now.

For me, I am getting something that protects my shoulders. I know the impact would have still slammed me good, but with a plastic or gel type cup over my shoulder, it could have helped to slide me off the tree, not rip my skin apart, and perhaps not been as bad.

Just something to think about if you cannot afford two pieces of upper body protection
    You should have been here yesterday!