Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

4th of July TR: the great one

So lobstahmeatwad, Lexi-Bell and I decided to celebrate the fourth of July by getting drunk and skiing the great one on sacagawea. It's a big couloir that is quite north-facing and has relatively easy access. Usually, it has relatively easy access. Easy meaning a 4ish mile hike with 3000 feet of vertical gain. The line is a Bozeman classic. It skis very well late in the season even on a sub-par snow year and it yields a lot of vert. Needless to say, it was good this year.

The Great One:

Our sources indicated that the road was still closed. So add an extra 3 or 4 miles and 1000 feet of vert. We decided to hike in to the campground by Fairy Lake and camp. We made the ghost carry the beers. He wins the hero of the trip award. He carried in all the booze, ran the whole way, and then tried to eat live fireworks all night. He is super-extreme. MVP of this TR.

The Ghost

So we walked in on the night of the third to camp at fairy lake.

We figured it would be all crowded, but I guess other people don't like carrying 70 pound packs. Neither does lobstahmeatwad. That sally. I guess we'll excuse it because he brought his fishing gear, which we didn't use at all.

Then we got all drunk in camp, woke up reasonably early, and climbed and skied some crap. I've had worse fourths.

Yes, we skied you:

More pictures to come. LB has some, and we have some 3-man catapult loaded with fireworks stoke from after we got back. Hope you enjoy our 4th.

Nice! Ghost rocks

that is definately a bozone classic. Way to get after it, nice TR.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

What a totally worthless, crappy way to spend the 4th. Sun, beers, and skiing? No thanks.

Well...maybe...I guess.

Great TR. Looks like you guys had a blast.

Ha! I think you were the guys in front of us on the 4th... We woke up just early enough to miss the gate opening and to arrive fairy lake exactly at the same time as the first car... It was a good day up there, despite me re-aggravating my knee.

Noice!

wow that looks like a ton of fun. go ghost!

that thing really does hold ALOT of snow. this pic really struck me:

that "great one" looks chock full o' snow!

if i'm ever around ur area in the summer i'll have to remember that this thing is an option late into the season. totally awesome summer stokage

Man, those pics are so cool. I'm in ft walton beach florida this weekend and I think getting some turns would have been more rewarding than just getting all bombed on the beach.

You bastards!
    I got back from work and called LB's phone and his wife answered saying you already took off.
    Whatever.

(thanks for the TR, I was waiting to see how it was)

nice tr and great effort.
    that snow looks way better than "crap"

p.s. maybe you would enjoy it more if you went to the same camp your pup went to; i.e. "Gordy Camp" .... bwa!!!
    "... she'll never need a doctor; 'cause I check her out all day"

Damn. I gotta get off the east coast. Looks sick. And yeah, much better than just boozing on beaches and boats.

Quote Originally Posted by Xover View Post
    nice tr and great effort.
    that snow looks way better than "crap"

p.s. maybe you would enjoy it more if you went to the same camp your pup went to; i.e. "Gordy Camp" .... bwa!!!
    There was one decent-sized runnel on the lower half of the chute, and it was fairly firm and peppered with a little rockfall, but that's looking for the pimple on the supermodel's ass. It was great "spring" snow.

And I thought we skied it okay, but it is tough to match the ghost's turbo-gnar fearlessness. I skied it with no underpants in shorts. Does that make me more extreme? It certainly felt that way. Kinda nice on a hot day.

Oh, and I thought I talked to a maggot in the parking lot for a minute when I was on the way out. Someone getting ready to hike up with Bros and Dynafits. Thanks for the grapefruit dude. The vitamins hit the spot.

nice. I was up there today. Alot of traffic had been thru but it still skied damn good. Very fun. Some other worthy lines still up there. One guy said he snowboarded the laser. It looked pretty awesome for July 5.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Nice line, but the line in the middle, with the dog-leg exit into the main chute... mmmmm.

I remember when Ulmer first profiled The Great One in Powder and made it look all gnarl.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    I remember when Ulmer first profiled The Great One in Powder and made it look all gnarl.
    Yeah, pretty far from gnarl. It's a bit different than normal, I assume, with the massive snow fall this year. Must be supa steep with only a few feet of snow in it.
    Pickles: Sorry, thought you were out.

(space reserved for more deboucherous pics)

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    i was thinking the same thing, if i didnt have a bunch of shit to do id go dig it out and scan it.

maybe later.

anyhow looks like a sweet way to spend the 4th.
    Last edited by steepconcrete; 07-06-2008 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lobstahmeatwad View Post
    Yeah, pretty far from gnarl. It's a bit different than normal, I assume, with the massive snow fall this year. Must be supa steep with only a few feet of snow in it.
    Pickles: Sorry, thought you were out.

(space reserved for more deboucherous pics)
    Its good. I was back and forth on my plans and eventually none of them worked out. Glad you guys made it up there

Did the same day approach and skied the Great One in the 80's. on the 4th of July. Still have a photo skiing it that I turned into a Christmas card that year. Nice photos mags, brought back the memories. Way to keep up the Great One stoke!

Hell yeah... great work.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Fabuloso

Damn that sucka was filled in nice, Sure missed Captain Hardlines though.

Mad props to the ghost for the booze transpo, I think I drank more than my fair share cause most all of my pics look like this

But I did take this pick of LMW

Taking this one. You know, for a little perspective.

Sorry we missed ya pickles

There's still some snow up there, go git sum kids!

Nice! I like how that last one came out.

Pickels - there is still plenty more out there to harvest. We should organize for next weekend.

gee, thanks for pming me or something. That looks awesome. And still skiable for quite a while.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Cooooooll!!!

Looks awesome.